Blown engine at 35000 miles - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #31
MG_MK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114522
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 0 MG_MK3 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicedz View Post
This makes me more skeptical about engine longevity with aftermarket modifications on the already lean stock tune. Somewhat reassuring to see the tunes coming out. I guess everyome should start looking into them as a preventative mod to avoid blowing these motors lol. Glad I didn't go to the dragstrip Thursday night. I'll probably hold off until I pick up a tune.
And if it blows up on the tune who's going to pay for it? Certainly not Ford..

The warranty covered it without the tune. Tuning it may or may not "fix" the problem. (if there is a problem at all.) I've only read about 2 engines doing this.
Instagram @miKeyGilmore #MK3SLöCUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 02:44 AM   #32
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricbeach View Post
I really don't see how the oil could have caused any problems as long as there is the correct amount in the engine. Many cars of all ages are running non oem spec oil of the correct weight or not, and would not end up causing a problem. The only fluids that seem to have any problems are for trans and coolant.
Unfortunately not true at all. There have been some sub 10k mile engine failures due to improper oil. BMW, Toyota, and... I don't remember who else, have had serious engine trouble from excessive sludge buildup right around the 60k mile mark.

Whoever it was that started using DI (Hyundai?) before Ford has special oil requirements for their engines. I wonder if Ford has this as well.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 05-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #33
electricbeach
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113132
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 electricbeach Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I know BMW had an issue with carbon on the v8s, causing a costly head cleaning to properly fix the buildup.

And good point about the oil. I should look into it, as well as any other owner. I do doubt that ford or any other manufacturer would require a specific oil because we all know many owners will not bring their vehicles to the dealer for oil changes.

I bet ford's "faces" would be red when in a few years tons of engines blow.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #34
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesiel678 View Post
+1
I keep seeing people suggest that this engine runs lean, but the dyno's with wideband readings in the MK3 dyno thread suggest that the car runs on the rich side. Where does this belief that the Mk3 runs lean come from? Maybe the target AFR during partial throttle open loop fueling is above stoich?
You may want to go back and look at those dynos again , everyone of them is 13 or above , this engine like most NA Foci should be in the 12.8 range and closer to the 12.5 for racing it on track

I also found it strange that is was melted then hydro , there is no way this engine was hydro locked why running as the injectors are not big enough to fill the Cyl to hydro lock it or to bend the valves before the raw fuel is forced out the open exh valve

Something doesnt fit as to the actually reason this engine failed , so what did Ford find and where is the pictures

How did you get Ford to cover this with those mods , Ford has been told to cover NOTHING on this engine with ANY mods ????

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 05-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #35
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
You may want to go back and look at those dynos again , everyone of them is 13 or above , this engine like most NA Foci should be in the 12.8 range and closer to the 12.5 for racing it on track

I also found it strange that is was melted then hydro , there is no way this engine was hydro locked why running as the injectors are not big enough to fill the Cyl to hydro lock it or to bend the valves before the raw fuel is forced out the open exh valve

Something doesnt fit as to the actually reason this engine failed , so what did Ford find and where is the pictures

How did you get Ford to cover this with those mods , Ford has been told to cover NOTHING on this engine with ANY mods ????

Tom
I agree to the above (in bold). Something does not fit.

Just like the other blown engine used on the track (though if I remember correctly the owner actually had the O2 buggered up with the header installation).
Old 05-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #36
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_MK3 View Post
And if it blows up on the tune who's going to pay for it? Certainly not Ford..

The warranty covered it without the tune. Tuning it may or may not "fix" the problem. (if there is a problem at all.) I've only read about 2 engines doing this.
THIS people... ^^^^
Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #37
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
It's been like that the entire time that there has been a Mk3 section. The doomsayers and the anti-doomsayers keep it this way. There are a large section of common-sense'rs in the middle, but inevitably one of the other groups blow up threads into something that they aren't.

With the exception if the fuel nozzle thread. That is just intense from the moment it hits your lips. And anything DCT related. Or in regards to suspension clunk. Or...

I know I get irritated fast, but it wore thin a long time ago.

Some of the complaining is over totally inane stuff. Things that may be an issue with a $60K plus car, but with a $20K plus car they should just take them as they are and realize there is a lot packed into this little car for very little money. Compromises had to be made for Ford to be able to competitively price the car with its competition, still pay union wages, and still make a profit.

Its just the nature of the beast...
Old 05-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #38
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausv7 View Post
Im amazed hearing about these engines going out like this even with mine modified and autox used i have run into no problem and im at 50k but maybe something i need to watch for
We also know you take good care of your engine, not to say the op didn't.

The fact that Ford covered it, even with his car being modified, makes me think it was a mechanical failure for which nothing could have prevented or made worse. It would be nice to know exactly what that failure was, the report is conflicting, but that is what we have.

Now we just wish the op luck, and move on to having fun with our cars...
Old 05-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #39
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I know of WAY more then 2 of these engine going , way way way more lol

The order has come down like stated , NO WARRANTY on modded anything under the hood of the MKIII

You even go to colored hoses ... good luck

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 05-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #40
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
I know of WAY more then 2 of these engine going , way way way more lol

The order has come down like stated , NO WARRANTY on modded anything under the hood of the MKIII

You even go to colored hoses ... good luck

Tom
What do you have for supporting evidence for this?

I think we are all realistic enough to understand that this forum is only a percentage of the population, but if Focus' are dropping like flies in the way you're claiming, shouldn't more of us already be aware? I would think that if you're sources are correct that more of us would have heard by now how many more cars are setting rods free...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks