Should I back out? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
ellisd
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 115019
What I Drive: 2012 Ti Hatch Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 2 ellisd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yea, I just took it for another spin and everything feels fine, no weird noises. THe last road test I took it on was a quick one with my fiancee saying how much she loved it then was quiet cause she didnt want to sway me. I took it for a good 35 mile drive, got it up to high way speeds and all that, seems solid. And yea like many have said, I guess I still have 4 years on the powertrain in case that tranny goes.

Cheers. Picking up tonight I think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Tigeo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
This board is one data point and will favor more negative than positive. Consumer Reports talks about the tranny and MFT as having issues. To me, if you like the car and understand where the potential issues are, go for it with the understanding that you may experience these issues. You can always ask the dealer to perform any TSBs as part of the deal.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
bwainwri
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113619
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 bwainwri Good Standing Member
I have a '12 SEL automatic w/ DCT and have occasionally encountered the "shudder" when it shifts between 1st and 2nd, the lunging when feathering the throttle in parking lots and the rollback, but as I said, they happen just occasionally and really are not very bothersome to me at all.

If the radio is above 2 volume, you can't hear the "shudder" at all, the rollback only bothers you when you don't expect it (ie. initial test drive only) and the lunging happened one or two times and can be mitigated by avoiding feathering the throttle. I haven't actually read anywhere that these traits are indicative of a failing transmission or transmission "problems", in fact the opposite. I don't recall the user, but he took his in to a dealer and was given a memo stating that these are normal characteristics of the new transmission. I chalk it up to the transmission shifting out of gear as much as possible to improve the mpg's (i'm no mechanic so i could be wrong, but thats what makes sense to me).

If I read on here that somone's transmission failed and had to be replaced as a direct result of these "issues" then i'll take action to rectify it. Until then, I love every inch of this car along with its quirky transmission.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
ellisd
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Sounds good. You guys are definitely very encouraging. I know it's not your job to convince me to do anything but I appreciate it regardless.

Is there any correlation between build date and trans that have more issues? Mine was build in March 2012 so I think pretty late?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
If you want pure driving satisfaction and consistency, back out and get a manual 5 Speed Focus or a 6 Speed ST. The DCT is very hit or miss, I have days where it behaves and days where it just is horrible to drive (more so than the latter).
Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
ellisd
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I would love a standard or an ST but my fiancee is going to be driving and she doesn't like standard. Also, I'm more so getting this because it's such a steal of a deal. The guy that traded it in got a Camaro SS to impress his russian gf. He still owed 27K on the focus and he only got about 15-16 wholesale for it. I paid 18 plus taxes.

I guess we will see. With two test drives thing feel fine for now at least.

But yes I would LOVE an ST so much, just not in the budget right now :)
Old 05-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #17
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
I would wonder why the previous owner took such a loss getting rid of the Focus. The Russian gf sounds more like a joke. Just wondering.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #18
Khell
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92027
What I Drive: 2012, Kona Blue, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Khell Good Standing Member
Learn the transmission characteristics

I've noticed that with this DCT you definately have to get a feel for it. It doesnt operate at all like the older automatics i'm used to using. I've also noticed it also has a lot to do with accelerator feel. It reacts very sensitively to throttle input, which I think causes alot of the bucking and what not people complain about when coming to a stop and taking off. I've got 30,000 miles on mine and though it took me a while to figure it out, I can now say its the smoothest shifting transmission i've ever had the pleasure of driving. I've had no issues with it.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #19
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisd View Post
I would love a standard or an ST but my fiancee is going to be driving and she doesn't like standard. Also, I'm more so getting this because it's such a steal of a deal. The guy that traded it in got a Camaro SS to impress his russian gf. He still owed 27K on the focus and he only got about 15-16 wholesale for it. I paid 18 plus taxes.

I guess we will see. With two test drives thing feel fine for now at least.

But yes I would LOVE an ST so much, just not in the budget right now :)
ST1 $23K...but I see the point on the savings.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile
Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
ellisd
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

ST for only 23k? We always pay more in Canada but I thought it was around 29?

Bookmarks & Social Networks