MTX75 NEW Slave bleeding - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Garbagemonky
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 172641
What I Drive: 05 Gray ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Garbagemonky Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MTX75 NEW Slave bleeding

I'm fooled on how to get air out of my slave.

Initially my ST (D2.3 MTX75) needed a clutch master, done.
Try to bleed out the air, nuthin'.

Local Ford dealer says they ALWAYS replace the slave with a master. (worst news ever)

Fast forward to installing new clutch set (OEM replacement) and a few other goodies unrelated

Still no luck vacuuming out the NEW slave.
Mighty-vac, Up-Down, Pump-pump-pump-hold...

Fluid comes out consistently but still has no weight at the pedal.

Took my stethoscope to the line and all I hear is what sounds like heavy nose breathing. (of course because there is air in the line)

--Fluid never went past MIN, brake pedal is firm--

I'm no fool of a mechanic, I know how to bleed and I know Ford does a reverse bleeding procedure. Anyone have a trick up their sleeve and willing to share?

Thanks for your time/input/opinions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
A couple recently have needed a different replacement master cyl. before having luck.

Some swear by "bench bleeding" the master cyl. before installation.

One used a pump type oil can to reverse bleed from the slave end (his problem was a clutch not releasing, turned out to be a clutch issue not a release mech. issue so I don't know if it helped).

Some swear by pressure bleeding or "gravity" bleeding.

I had luck with a vacuum bleeder, and use of sealant around the bleed screw threads (depending on slave material, you can use never seize or teflon pipe tape). Mine wasn't perfect until driven, got 3/4 pedal with bleeding & it self bled the rest apparently - OK after a couple shifts on a short test drive. Only the master replaced, Ford matching part in an Auto Zone bag. It took a LOT of bleeding before getting a result.

Luck

S.R. #275
Old 06-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
Humphrey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91540
What I Drive: 05 Ford Focus ZX3 w/ 2.0 Duratec

FF Reputation: 3 Humphrey Good Standing Member
I just had to bleed the clutch on my 05 Focus ZX3. Believe I used pressure bleeding (as I had someone pump the clutch about 10x and then i'd loosen the bleed screw while they held the peddle down.) We kept doing that till resistance was gained in the peddle and it took a couple of times doing this till it was back to normal- make sure you keep the reservoir filled.

The way air was getting in was through the slave/master connect tube. It is a two piece tube, runs from the slave to the master cylinder and its connected/help in place with a clip (not sure what its called, c-clip maybe.) Mine had blown apart on the line where they used rubber flex tubing as I had a battery acid leak and caused that section of tube to weaken.

My car: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/album.php?albumid=2338
Old 06-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I agree with your local Ford dealer, I always replace both in these vehicles because of the plastic master. I'm not entirely convinced that is causing your issues though.

Removing the master and bench bleeding is what usually solves the problems for most people. For the slave, I recommend the old pedal pumping technique with a "one man" cup until you're sure that the fluid is without air from the master to the slave, then gravity bleed the rest. I'm surprised that the vacuum bleeding method isn't helping, but I don't think it would help if air was trapped in the master. If it did, the master cylinder would lose it's seal. Most likely, that is where your problem is.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
I just did a MTX swap on my focus, I used the standard method of bleeding the brakes/release bearing. First I just opened the bleed valve and fed fluid until it started to come out of the bleed valve. then Pump the pedal and few times, open the bleed valve for a short period and close it before coming up on the pedal. Repeated that a number of times until resistance built in the pedal. Going to test drive it tonight but it seems to be working properly at the moment.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
Garbagemonky
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 172641
What I Drive: 05 Gray ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Garbagemonky Good Standing Member
-Update-

Finally got a clutch pedal. The master I am convinced does not need bench bleeding, but that is my opinion. I used anti-sieze as a medium on the threads, vacuum bled once more for about 20 minutes. Had my buddy do the pump pump hold deal that we are all so familiar with. Still nuthin'.

Came back a day later with a guy from Trans Medic in Sal NH. Showed him everything I have replaced and done to bleed. He plops into the driver seat and claims there is a fine clutch pedal, tried it for myself.

I don't know if something worked its way out or I need a new friend, but I can finally put the last of my Duratec together lol
Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Last bubble found it's way out the top - Great!

S.R. #275
Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
Yeah, after bleeding mine and getting it to work it felt better after sitting for a few days, i'm sure it will start to feel better as you drive it a bit as well.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->