Is it me or does the focus drive better when you drive aggressively? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103124
Location: Los Angeles, CA
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL

Posts: 339
FF Reputation: 1 k1ngkev1n1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is it me or does the focus drive better when you drive aggressively?

I have a automatic 2012 sedan sel. I notice when I drive aggressive drives a lot better, but when I baby it or anything drives terrible to me.


k1ngkev1n1 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
kam327
-----<M>-----
 
kam327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94700
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Posts: 2,374
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yeah the powertrain runs beautifully if you keep it above say 2,000 rpm. Any city driving below that and you're plagued by poor throttle response and uneven acceleration due to the DCT.

I recently rented a Cruze and Corolla, each with about 6k miles on the clock. I gotta say, while I still far prefer the Focus for a few reasons, the low-speed powertrain response was superior on those two cars.

Heck, it was superior on my parents' old Suzuki Aerio.
kam327 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast
 
BrApple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 95810
Location: Gales Ferry, CT
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

Posts: 373
FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't have the DCT however I have been wondering about that for awhile. I bet most are driving it like an automatic and being very easy on the gas pedal ... but since its really an manual transmission, I don't think that is a good way to drive it. The clutch should be engaged as quick as possible not slipped for a long time because the driver isn't giving it enough throttle so that the PCM can fully engage the clutch.
__________________
- 12 Focus SE - 5spd
- 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
BrApple is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103124
Location: Los Angeles, CA
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL

Posts: 339
FF Reputation: 1 k1ngkev1n1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well I will be driving alot more aggressive for this next week see how I like it and how the mileage is.
k1ngkev1n1 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 111167
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

Posts: 728
FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Noticed it big time a while ago, but even using SelectShift and being heavy on the throttle hasn't helped make the tranny smooth and quiet.
Tubeway Army is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Pendarus
Focus Enthusiast
 
Pendarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 94411
Location: Fullerton, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium 5dr

Posts: 136
FF Reputation: 2 Pendarus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
Noticed it big time a while ago, but even using SelectShift and being heavy on the throttle hasn't helped make the tranny smooth and quiet.
Find a nice long on-ramp or empty road and do a few full throttle runs thru the gears. It will drive a lot better after. I think the clutches may need the hard shifts to bed properly. If you have the oil leak contaminating the clutches, they need to be replaced, nothing will fix that except replacing them.
__________________
Sonic Blue Titanium 5dr Titanium Handling Package
Ordered: 01/28/12
Vin: 02/20/12
Build Date: 03/06/12
Delivery Date: 03/30/12
Pendarus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast
 
oritpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96148
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

Posts: 441
FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The new Focii likes to be ridden hard and fast, no doubt about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I recently rented a Cruze and Corolla, each with about 6k miles on the clock. I gotta say, while I still far prefer the Focus for a few reasons, the low-speed powertrain response was superior on those two cars.

Heck, it was superior on my parents' old Suzuki Aerio.
The 2005 Frontier Club Cab 4x I traded in on the Focus drove superior at all speeds, I just got tired of paying $60 a week to feed it.

Last edited by oritpro; 05-23-2013 at 05:08 PM.
oritpro is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
kam327
-----<M>-----
 
kam327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94700
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Posts: 2,374
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrApple View Post
I don't have the DCT however I have been wondering about that for awhile. I bet most are driving it like an automatic and being very easy on the gas pedal ... but since its really an manual transmission, I don't think that is a good way to drive it. The clutch should be engaged as quick as possible not slipped for a long time because the driver isn't giving it enough throttle so that the PCM can fully engage the clutch.
Nope, it still bogs down and then accelerates unevenly even when firm throttle is applied.
kam327 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
kam327
-----<M>-----
 
kam327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94700
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Posts: 2,374
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendarus View Post
Find a nice long on-ramp or empty road and do a few full throttle runs thru the gears. It will drive a lot better after. I think the clutches may need the hard shifts to bed properly. If you have the oil leak contaminating the clutches, they need to be replaced, nothing will fix that except replacing them.
I second that. It's gotten rid of a shudder twice for me.
kam327 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103124
Location: Los Angeles, CA
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL

Posts: 339
FF Reputation: 1 k1ngkev1n1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Nope, it still bogs down and then accelerates unevenly even when firm throttle is applied.
Kinda feels like your chugging not constant just accelerate lol
k1ngkev1n1 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.