Class Action Lawsuit for DCT issues - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #61
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My problems don't seem as bad as some. That is I don't have the delayed acceleration. My 2006 Dodge Magnum (3.5L V6) was like that. Sometimes it was like turbo lag. I would step on the gas and it would like bog down, then all of a sudden ...whoosh.. The power would kick in. Was really annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #62
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think maybe the best words used instead of bashing the DCT alone (I believe Getrag knows how to design and build I just question everything that surrounds it) is by saying there are flaws within the powertrain system which need to be seriously addressed . Since I now don't have this headache anymore since getting out of the Auto a month ago, I just want to relay to new owners that they are not alone in this regard.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #63
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 9 valmundo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
This ^

Then there are times the car will move slowly (as intended) then take off like a bat out of hell without further input from the accelerator. I've had this happen while backing out of the driveway and pulling out of parking spots.

One of these days I am afraid this behavior is going to catch me (or my wife) off guard and cause a crash.

Ford needs to fix this, the car is too unpredictable. At least the DCT in my Focus doesn't sound like a rock tumbler (yet) like some others.
You really think your car is dangerous? This is why I don't understand why there isn't a concerted effort to initiated the Class Action. Posting your fears and complaints on a forum is not going to help your cause. I am sure there is a lawyer out there who would be willing to droll over the prospect of a class action.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #64
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
Posting your fears and complaints on a forum is not going to help your cause.
Well their experiences might deter someone else from making the same mistake....it's helping the cause...wish I read these forums prior to making my purchase.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile
Old 06-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #65
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
Then there are times the car will move slowly (as intended) then take off like a bat out of hell without further input from the accelerator. I've had this happen while backing out of the driveway and pulling out of parking spots.

One of these days I am afraid this behavior is going to catch me (or my wife) off guard and cause a crash.
Are you saying that your car accelerates "like a bat out of hell" with little or no throttle input? It sure sounds like it.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #66
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
Well their experiences might deter someone else from making the same mistake....it's helping the cause...wish I read these forums prior to making my purchase.

Ok. Got it. The cause is to hurt future sales of the Ford Focus.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #67
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Quote:
Ok. Got it. The cause is to hurt future sales of the Ford Focus.
That's up to Ford to decide....competition is tough and people are often more knowledgeable on the car than the dealer is...of course I am talking from experience.....

Old 06-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #68
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
That's up to Ford to decide....competition is tough and people are often more knowledgeable on the car than the dealer is...of course I am talking from experience.....

Actually, that's not what you just said. You said its helping the cause to deter others from making the same "mistake" you made in purchasing your car.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #69
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Quote:
Actually, that's not what you just said. You said its helping the cause to deter others from making the same "mistake" you made in purchasing your car.
Purchasing a DCT equipped Focus was the only mistake in my case. I have heard no complaints from the manual transmission owners...5 or 6 speed.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #70
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
You really think your car is dangerous? This is why I don't understand why there isn't a concerted effort to initiated the Class Action. Posting your fears and complaints on a forum is not going to help your cause. I am sure there is a lawyer out there who would be willing to droll over the prospect of a class action.
I do think the car is dangerous, extremely dangerous during the break-in period. The fact that there's a high probability the car will stumble when you need and expect it to move can potentially put the vehicle and it's occupants in harms way under a variety of normal traffic conditions; such as pulling out onto a busy road or changing lanes in heavy traffic. To make things worse the car could hesitate for a few seconds then take off at a rate much faster then was originally intended without applying more input on the accelerator.

These symptoms are much much worse during the break-in period and they never go away completely afterwards. Some days my Focus drives great and others not so great and not thing had changed since I parked it. It's temperamental and unpredictable.

Your somewhat correct in that complaining on forums is a waste of time. Ford maintains a presence here and representatives have stepped in on numerous occasions to help people with various problems with varying degrees of success. Everything from an uncooperative dealer to a completely broken DCT. However, if you've been following or have researched the DCT issues others have experienced it's clear that Ford doesn't have a fix for the problem short of replacing some very expensive components. The usual course of dealer action is to (re)flash the TCM and/or reset the TCM which means it has to train all over again, then it's even more unpredictable for the next 2k+ miles.

I suspect that there's an effort to get a class action going based on the letters some folks here have reported receiving from attorneys and it will likely happen. Maybe this is the best course of action before somebody gets really hurt or stuck with expensive repair bills down the road, however, I don't plan on keeping my car long enough to benefit from such a lawsuit. I had a laundry list of must haves when I was shopping for a new car and the Focus was the only car to meet the criteria, now there are other vehicles worth my consideration it's just a question which is the better choice. In the meantime, I am just contributing to the conversations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Are you saying that your car accelerates "like a bat out of hell" with little or no throttle input? It sure sounds like it.
What I meant was to apply enough gas to get the car moving from a stop, but I have had it accelerate with no input like when your idling down the road at one of those regulated freeway onramps. Every once in awhile the idle seems to increase in it own and there's no way control it except to ride the brakes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks