Class Action Lawsuit for DCT issues - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #51
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

Points 1,427, Level 21
Points: 1,427, Level: 21 Points: 1,427, Level: 21 Points: 1,427, Level: 21
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 5 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've started having problems with mine lately. Was fine up until about 22k and now I sometimes get "bucking" on take off, sometimes it feels like the computer is riding the clutch between gears, and now I've started getting a rattling sound. These things only happen in the lower gears. Once the car is up to speed, it seems fine. Like a previous poster said, it is like the car is bipolar. Because sometimes it is fine, other times it has the symptoms. Yesterday it was pretty bad, the engine was even idling rough. This morning/today, it was fine. WTH? I took it into the dealer about a month ago and of course the car acted fine. Right now I am going to start keeping a log of when the problems occur and then take it back into the shop.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #52
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 13' Tuxedo Black ST3, 08' ZZR-600

Points 486, Level 9
Points: 486, Level: 9 Points: 486, Level: 9 Points: 486, Level: 9
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well some one is taking it to Ford. I got a letter from an attorney about representation for any problems my focus may have, listed a number of issues.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #53
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by F35-JSF View Post
Well some one is taking it to Ford. I got a letter from an attorney about representation for any problems my focus may have, listed a number of issues.
I hope to God I get this letter or something similar. If I don't get one, I might have you forward that to me...
Old 05-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #54
Pennut
Focus Addict

Points 1,427, Level 21
Level Up 27% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Okay so I've been keeping an eye on my transmission this week. Okay so Monday it was bucking, making noise and whatnot. Now since Tuesday, it's been pretty smooth. WTH? I had a software update on the transmission not long after I bought the car. Not that I was having problems at the time. I just did the update because ... well there was an update. So anyways, it's like a random thing. The car can be shifting like garbage for 1 day, 2 days. a week. Then be smooth for a couple days, then rough. Doesn't make sense. This week, the outside temp has been up and down. Was in the low 60's Tuesday and then yesterday was in the high 80's and today hit about 90 degrees. So temperature wasn't a factor. I've also noticed occasionally my idle (at a stoplight) varies also. Sometimes I get some pretty rough idle, other times it's pretty smooth. I usually go to the same gas stations. Only 2 or 3 I use. I've been using premium (91 or 93 octane). Don't think there is a connection between the occasional rough idle and the rough shifting. At least I don't recall there always being a rough idle AND a rough shift. Just don't make sense. It's like the car is Schitzo.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #55
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennut View Post
Okay so I've been keeping an eye on my transmission this week. Okay so Monday it was bucking, making noise and whatnot. Now since Tuesday, it's been pretty smooth. WTH? I had a software update on the transmission not long after I bought the car. Not that I was having problems at the time. I just did the update because ... well there was an update. So anyways, it's like a random thing. The car can be shifting like garbage for 1 day, 2 days. a week. Then be smooth for a couple days, then rough. Doesn't make sense. This week, the outside temp has been up and down. Was in the low 60's Tuesday and then yesterday was in the high 80's and today hit about 90 degrees. So temperature wasn't a factor. I've also noticed occasionally my idle (at a stoplight) varies also. Sometimes I get some pretty rough idle, other times it's pretty smooth. I usually go to the same gas stations. Only 2 or 3 I use. I've been using premium (91 or 93 octane). Don't think there is a connection between the occasional rough idle and the rough shifting. At least I don't recall there always being a rough idle AND a rough shift. Just don't make sense. It's like the car is Schitzo.
^^ This. This is why I had referred to the car as "bipolar" in another thread. It is very frustrating - like I own two different cars and I only like one of them.

It kinda seems to me like some days the computer just picks the wrong timing which makes the idle rough and in turn makes the transmission feel like crap and also brings out the rattles.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #56
Pennut
Focus Addict

Points 1,427, Level 21
Level Up 27% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Exactly. Weird too, because for my Focus at least, when it decides to run like crud and shift lousy, it's like for the whole day. Not like I start to drive it one day and it shifts lousy, I park, and hours later drive again and it shifts different. If it shifts lousy, then it shifts lousy that whole day. The same holds true for the days when it decides to shift/drive normally. Very strange. And don't know when it will do either. Can shift lousy for one whole day or one whole week. What gives??
Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #57
slybarman
Focus Addict

Points 1,664, Level 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennut View Post
Exactly. Weird too, because for my Focus at least, when it decides to run like crud and shift lousy, it's like for the whole day. Not like I start to drive it one day and it shifts lousy, I park, and hours later drive again and it shifts different. If it shifts lousy, then it shifts lousy that whole day. The same holds true for the days when it decides to shift/drive normally. Very strange. And don't know when it will do either. Can shift lousy for one whole day or one whole week. What gives??
Ditto - when its bad, its bad. I really think programming that sets the timing etc based on temp and other factors needs some tweaking, but I am no gear head, so that is just guessing.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #58
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Ditto - when its bad, its bad. I really think programming that sets the timing etc based on temp and other factors needs some tweaking, but I am no gear head, so that is just guessing.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.

And that is why I really believe this DCT whether it is hardware or software related really needs a good hard look before buying one. IMHO it is a serious safety concern since as a driver you have to be constantly aware of the possibility that the vehicle will not accelerate as required. I even recall one woman on here (older I believe) that didn't even feel safe driving her husband around to medical appts. due to it's behavior and the constant "it's normal " from the dealer. Most people that buy these cars have no idea about cars and the way they function.....doing an oil change or routine maintenance can be a chore for them so having them adapt to an ever changing learning curve is an accident waiting to happen , if it hasn't already.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #59
slybarman
Focus Addict

Points 1,664, Level 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
The times I felt potentially unsafe have been the times I stepped on the accelerator from a stop and for a second or so, absolutely nothing happens. The engine doesn't rev and the car does not move, then all of the sudden - vrooom. However, because the engine isn't revving in that second, I don't think it is a DCT issue, but rather an issue with the electronic throttle not responding as it should. If you are trying to make a quick turn into traffic or the like, this can be quite scary.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #60
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

Points 749, Level 14
Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
The times I felt potentially unsafe have been the times I stepped on the accelerator from a stop and for a second or so, absolutely nothing happens. The engine doesn't rev and the car does not move, then all of the sudden - vrooom.
This ^

Then there are times the car will move slowly (as intended) then take off like a bat out of hell without further input from the accelerator. I've had this happen while backing out of the driveway and pulling out of parking spots.

One of these days I am afraid this behavior is going to catch me (or my wife) off guard and cause a crash.

Ford needs to fix this, the car is too unpredictable. At least the DCT in my Focus doesn't sound like a rock tumbler (yet) like some others.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.