Class Action Lawsuit for DCT issues - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #31
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
They CAN'T? Are you sure about that? ;)

Perhaps the issue is that they don't want to deal with the cost of "fixing" it for every single vehicle sold. Once they publish a TSB or issue a recall, they will have a MUCH harder time denying warranty claims for tranny issues...

It's kind of hard to tell, as Ford carefully ensures that customers only deal with dealerships, and dealerships are very tightly controlled by FoMoCo.
Story of the other day..I walk into my dealership, service writer sees me, first thing out of his mouth "Ford has not released any fixes for that transmission" (I was in a month or so prior with the same issues) I say "well not what I read online, appears there is a TSB to check the shuddering issue", he goes "hmmmm", so I give him the number, yes that's right I am informing the dealer on things they should already know already.

So he looks it up, "oh yes you are right, this does apply to your VIN", takes my car away and hour or so later, I am told it checks out normal based on the TSB and no replacement of the clutch packs or related parts is required. Now as far as I am concerned, the dealer might not have did anything, the car did have a few miles put on it, but I have my doubts they hooked it up to the OBDII diagnostic tool and followed the guidelines detailed by Ford.

I was provided with the TSB, it was quite detailed in steps, seems to me it would take some time to run through it. Maybe I should have marked the OBD cover to see if they even removed it. I did not watch over the tech so who knows? I did notice my car was sitting in the back lot for a 1/2 hour prior to getting the call on my cell that the car was done. Hmmm?

So I get in my car and drive away, it feels no different. Shuddering and grinding down the road, looking at the dealer in the rear view mirror say this is the last time I am coming here for service. Next time will be another dealer and then after that who knows, I either won't bother or plan on dumping the car in a year.

Oh and to put the icing on the cake, the service writer made sure to plea to me about giving them a good survey and to not hold them accountable for the car and transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #32
FocusTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102567
What I Drive: Black 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FocusTi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Is there an easy way to complain to the NHSTA? Do you have to call them or can you just summit something on there website? I bet more people would complain if they to them if they new the best way to do it.

Future Mods: Coilovers, End-Links, Tune, and Brakes
Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #33
FocusTi
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
Story of the other day..I walk into my dealership, service writer sees me, first thing out of his mouth "Ford has not released any fixes for that transmission" (I was in a month or so prior with the same issues) I say "well not what I read online, appears there is a TSB to check the shuddering issue", he goes "hmmmm", so I give him the number, yes that's right I am informing the dealer on things they should already know already.

So he looks it up, "oh yes you are right, this does apply to your VIN", takes my car away and hour or so later, I am told it checks out normal based on the TSB and no replacement of the clutch packs or related parts is required. Now as far as I am concerned, the dealer might not have did anything, the car did have a few miles put on it, but I have my doubts they hooked it up to the OBDII diagnostic tool and followed the guidelines detailed by Ford.

I was provided with the TSB, it was quite detailed in steps, seems to me it would take some time to run through it. Maybe I should have marked the OBD cover to see if they even removed it. I did not watch over the tech so who knows? I did notice my car was sitting in the back lot for a 1/2 hour prior to getting the call on my cell that the car was done. Hmmm?

So I get in my car and drive away, it feels no different. Shuddering and grinding down the road, looking at the dealer in the rear view mirror say this is the last time I am coming here for service. Next time will be another dealer and then after that who knows, I either won't bother or plan on dumping the car in a year.

Oh and to put the icing on the cake, the service writer made sure to plea to me about giving them a good survey and to not hold them accountable for the car and transmission.
What tool bags!!!

Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #34
frinesi2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95914
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 frinesi2 Good Standing Member
Maybe Ford is just punishing people for buying slushboxes instead of cars with proper transmissions.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #35
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frinesi2 View Post
Maybe Ford is just punishing people for buying slushboxes instead of cars with proper transmissions.
But what they bought isn't a slush box in the traditional sense. There is no power sapping torque converter to isolate them from the gearbox, theoretically it should be quicker and more efficient than a traditional automatic with more of the characteristics of a manual transmission.

Now in practice it seems that not every single unit seems to behave in this manner.

I never had an issue with the car popping out of gear or ever dropping to neutral going around a turn.

My only real complaints were that the shifts in manual mode could be a bit too soft, and that you had to ask the computer if it was ok to shift gears.

Why would it be ok to drive all day long just above 10 mph in 3rd yet you couldn't shift into third until passing at least 15 mph? If it was really hurting the engine it would downshift for you to prevent you from lugging it. So was it or wasn't it lugging?

Or if targeting a specific rpm and knowing the delay in it's thinking you might try to get ahead of it only to miss your target engine speed because you hit it 1 milisecond too soon and the computer said no.

That and it shifted more frequently than necessary in drive, and if anything was too responsive at the expense of fuel economy where as everyone else seemed to always complain that their cars would not shift unless they stomped on the throttle.

Mine was never reprogrammed in the entire 15.3k miles I had it before picking up my ST, and I think it was better for it. My brother finally got 12B37 installed on his 12 and now it won't shift into 6th before 40 mph vs 35 mph and probably isn't really helping his fuel economy any either. Stupid software programming trying to emulate a slush box will just kill the car sooner.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #36
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
So glad I went with the manual. A CAL isn't about money, its about getting the problem fixed and you reimbused.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #37
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
For those who are having DCT issues, it would seem to be in your best interest to file the lawsuit. Otherwise, your only remedy is to continue to post rants on this forum. I don't see how that is helping the cause.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #38
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
It is not just Ford:

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsu...ction-lawsuit#
Old 05-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #39
FocusTi
Focus Enthusiast

Well, at least we are not alone.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #40
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
For those who are having DCT issues, it would seem to be in your best interest to file the lawsuit. Otherwise, your only remedy is to continue to post rants on this forum. I don't see how that is helping the cause.
Give it time you might be joining the ranks as well, besides it's best to let prospective buyers know what to expect and to:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Bookmarks & Social Networks