Class Action Lawsuit for DCT issues - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #21
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 111167
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

Posts: 719
FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post

Does ANYONE here think that, unless done as part of a lawsuit, Ford would offer to extend the warranties of all Mk3 owners to 10 years, AND reimburse owners for repair costs outside of original warranty periods, AND reimburse consumers for diminished value of trade-ins due to the DCT issues?
I do not want any cash or an "extended warranty" I just want them to:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Tubeway Army is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #22
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast
 
oritpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96148
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

Posts: 441
FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
After my experience today I am about ready to leave the keys in my Focus and hang a "steal me" sign on it.

Damn thing did not want to go without hammering the pedal to the floor. Pressing the gas pedal was having the opposite effect, it would slow down not speed up.

The last six months were pretty good, now it's been PMS'ing with the warmer weather. Sometimes you never know if this car is going to move when you want/need it to and that can be DANGEROUS.
oritpro is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #23
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89368
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

Posts: 422
FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
That's an argument in favor of a class action, right? Both links are from the same case, and (from a consumer point of view) the entire thing can be summarized as:

Sure, some law firm made a small fortune from the case. However, the consumers ALSO win. THAT is the purpose of a class action, and THAT is why I can't understand why some people are so opposed to it. Do you really think Audi would have just decided to be nice to consumers one day and made that offer out of the goodness of their heart?

Does ANYONE here think that, unless done as part of a lawsuit, Ford would offer to extend the warranties of all Mk3 owners to 10 years, AND reimburse owners for repair costs outside of original warranty periods, AND reimburse consumers for diminished value of trade-ins due to the DCT issues?
Just read the article. I don't see that as a fix for the customer. The only thing Audi did was boost the warranty up to 5 yr/ 100,000 miles and reimbursed any customer who may have come out of pocket for repairs but all the affected cars are still stuck with the alleged "defective" CVT transmission.I think Audi will provide additional funds for lost trade in value as well. The result still doesn't force Audi or any dealership to make any repairs and those who keep the car will still have a lousy driving experience if their CVT still runs awkwardly. If a similar lawsuit is filed with Ford, based on the results from the Audi lawsuit, it seems like unhappy owners can only expect an extention of the warranty and other perks but I don't think Ford will replace the DCT nor will they admit fault (Audi explicitly denied fault as part of the settlement). Oh, and by the way, the lawyers in that case made $2.4 million dollars!
valmundo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #24
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 114024
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

Posts: 152
FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
If a similar lawsuit is filed with Ford, based on the results from the Audi lawsuit, it seems like unhappy owners can only expect an extention of the warranty and other perks but I don't think Ford will replace the DCT nor will they admit fault (Audi explicitly denied fault as part of the settlement). Oh, and by the way, the lawyers in that case made $2.4 million dollars!
Okay... how is that outcome any worse than the outcome of NOT filing a class action?

Class Action results in: an extended warranty, reimbursement of repair costs, and compensation for diminished value.

No Class Action results in: <nothing>

While I completely understand and agree with the annoyance that lawyers tend to be the greatest beneficiary of class actions, that shouldn't negate the benefit to the consumer. The alternative is that consumers are completely screwed over.
garyd9 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #25
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 111167
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

Posts: 719
FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
After my experience today I am about ready to leave the keys in my Focus and hang a "steal me" sign on it.

Damn thing did not want to go without hammering the pedal to the floor. Pressing the gas pedal was having the opposite effect, it would slow down not speed up.

The last six months were pretty good, now it's been PMS'ing with the warmer weather. Sometimes you never know if this car is going to move when you want/need it to and that can be DANGEROUS.
I think Ford is getting the point, I am noticing that some posts I made on this site are getting deleted now, obviously they do not like all the bad press.

This site only represents a small amount of owners, many do not even frequent forums for cars. I can imagine the disgust is growing day by day.

I will probably suffer well with my car till I get enough equity in it, then dump it, probably for another Ford because in a year nobody else will touch it when they find out it has a DCT.
Tubeway Army is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #26
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89368
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

Posts: 422
FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
Okay... how is that outcome any worse than the outcome of NOT filing a class action?

Class Action results in: an extended warranty, reimbursement of repair costs, and compensation for diminished value.

No Class Action results in: <nothing>

While I completely understand and agree with the annoyance that lawyers tend to be the greatest beneficiary of class actions, that shouldn't negate the benefit to the consumer. The alternative is that consumers are completely screwed over.
Point taken. However, if the goal is to get the DCT fixed, that solution won't cut it. What's the point of having an extended warranty if Ford (and the dealers) take the position that nothing is wrong?

If however, the goal is to dump the focus for something else, then maybe you mike get extra money for your trade in value but being as cynical as I am, I doubt the extra cash will be a wind fall.

Meanwhile some lawyer will be 2.4 million dollars richer...

With all that being said, I don't understand why the folks here who are having issues aren't collaborating and planning to go ahead with a class action.
valmundo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #27
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 111167
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

Posts: 719
FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
Point taken. However, if the goal is to get the DCT fixed, that solution won't cut it. What's the point of having an extended warranty if Ford (and the dealers) take the position that nothing is wrong?

If however, the goal is to dump the focus for something else, then maybe you mike get extra money for your trade in value but being as cynical as I am, I doubt the extra cash will be a wind fall.

Meanwhile some lawyer will be 2.4 million dollars richer...

With all that being said, I don't understand why the folks here who are having issues aren't collaborating and planning to go ahead with a class action.
The transmission is a big safety factor, if the NHSTA get's involved, it will be a big recall for Ford that will dig into their pockets. Problem is they can't fix it, otherwise all of us would not be expressing our disgust.
Tubeway Army is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #28
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89368
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

Posts: 422
FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
The transmission is a big safety factor, if the NHSTA get's involved, it will be a big recall for Ford that will dig into their pockets. Problem is they can't fix it, otherwise all of us would not be expressing our disgust.
Ok. So how many folks here have filed a complaint with the NHSTA?
valmundo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #29
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 114024
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

Posts: 152
FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
The transmission is a big safety factor, if the NHSTA get's involved, it will be a big recall for Ford that will dig into their pockets. Problem is they can't fix it, otherwise all of us would not be expressing our disgust.
They CAN'T? Are you sure about that? ;)

Perhaps the issue is that they don't want to deal with the cost of "fixing" it for every single vehicle sold. Once they publish a TSB or issue a recall, they will have a MUCH harder time denying warranty claims for tranny issues...

It's kind of hard to tell, as Ford carefully ensures that customers only deal with dealerships, and dealerships are very tightly controlled by FoMoCo.
garyd9 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #30
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 111167
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

Posts: 719
FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
Ok. So how many folks here have filed a complaint with the NHSTA?
I am not sure? A few dozen won't do much good, power in numbers.
Tubeway Army is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.