Class Action Lawsuit for DCT issues - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #21
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post

Does ANYONE here think that, unless done as part of a lawsuit, Ford would offer to extend the warranties of all Mk3 owners to 10 years, AND reimburse owners for repair costs outside of original warranty periods, AND reimburse consumers for diminished value of trade-ins due to the DCT issues?
I do not want any cash or an "extended warranty" I just want them to:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #22
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
After my experience today I am about ready to leave the keys in my Focus and hang a "steal me" sign on it.

Damn thing did not want to go without hammering the pedal to the floor. Pressing the gas pedal was having the opposite effect, it would slow down not speed up.

The last six months were pretty good, now it's been PMS'ing with the warmer weather. Sometimes you never know if this car is going to move when you want/need it to and that can be DANGEROUS.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #23
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
Quote:
That's an argument in favor of a class action, right? Both links are from the same case, and (from a consumer point of view) the entire thing can be summarized as:

Sure, some law firm made a small fortune from the case. However, the consumers ALSO win. THAT is the purpose of a class action, and THAT is why I can't understand why some people are so opposed to it. Do you really think Audi would have just decided to be nice to consumers one day and made that offer out of the goodness of their heart?

Does ANYONE here think that, unless done as part of a lawsuit, Ford would offer to extend the warranties of all Mk3 owners to 10 years, AND reimburse owners for repair costs outside of original warranty periods, AND reimburse consumers for diminished value of trade-ins due to the DCT issues?
Just read the article. I don't see that as a fix for the customer. The only thing Audi did was boost the warranty up to 5 yr/ 100,000 miles and reimbursed any customer who may have come out of pocket for repairs but all the affected cars are still stuck with the alleged "defective" CVT transmission.I think Audi will provide additional funds for lost trade in value as well. The result still doesn't force Audi or any dealership to make any repairs and those who keep the car will still have a lousy driving experience if their CVT still runs awkwardly. If a similar lawsuit is filed with Ford, based on the results from the Audi lawsuit, it seems like unhappy owners can only expect an extention of the warranty and other perks but I don't think Ford will replace the DCT nor will they admit fault (Audi explicitly denied fault as part of the settlement). Oh, and by the way, the lawyers in that case made $2.4 million dollars!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #24
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
If a similar lawsuit is filed with Ford, based on the results from the Audi lawsuit, it seems like unhappy owners can only expect an extention of the warranty and other perks but I don't think Ford will replace the DCT nor will they admit fault (Audi explicitly denied fault as part of the settlement). Oh, and by the way, the lawyers in that case made $2.4 million dollars!
Okay... how is that outcome any worse than the outcome of NOT filing a class action?

Class Action results in: an extended warranty, reimbursement of repair costs, and compensation for diminished value.

No Class Action results in: <nothing>

While I completely understand and agree with the annoyance that lawyers tend to be the greatest beneficiary of class actions, that shouldn't negate the benefit to the consumer. The alternative is that consumers are completely screwed over.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #25
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
After my experience today I am about ready to leave the keys in my Focus and hang a "steal me" sign on it.

Damn thing did not want to go without hammering the pedal to the floor. Pressing the gas pedal was having the opposite effect, it would slow down not speed up.

The last six months were pretty good, now it's been PMS'ing with the warmer weather. Sometimes you never know if this car is going to move when you want/need it to and that can be DANGEROUS.
I think Ford is getting the point, I am noticing that some posts I made on this site are getting deleted now, obviously they do not like all the bad press.

This site only represents a small amount of owners, many do not even frequent forums for cars. I can imagine the disgust is growing day by day.

I will probably suffer well with my car till I get enough equity in it, then dump it, probably for another Ford because in a year nobody else will touch it when they find out it has a DCT.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #26
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Okay... how is that outcome any worse than the outcome of NOT filing a class action?

Class Action results in: an extended warranty, reimbursement of repair costs, and compensation for diminished value.

No Class Action results in: <nothing>

While I completely understand and agree with the annoyance that lawyers tend to be the greatest beneficiary of class actions, that shouldn't negate the benefit to the consumer. The alternative is that consumers are completely screwed over.
Point taken. However, if the goal is to get the DCT fixed, that solution won't cut it. What's the point of having an extended warranty if Ford (and the dealers) take the position that nothing is wrong?

If however, the goal is to dump the focus for something else, then maybe you mike get extra money for your trade in value but being as cynical as I am, I doubt the extra cash will be a wind fall.

Meanwhile some lawyer will be 2.4 million dollars richer...

With all that being said, I don't understand why the folks here who are having issues aren't collaborating and planning to go ahead with a class action.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #27
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Quote:
Point taken. However, if the goal is to get the DCT fixed, that solution won't cut it. What's the point of having an extended warranty if Ford (and the dealers) take the position that nothing is wrong?

If however, the goal is to dump the focus for something else, then maybe you mike get extra money for your trade in value but being as cynical as I am, I doubt the extra cash will be a wind fall.

Meanwhile some lawyer will be 2.4 million dollars richer...

With all that being said, I don't understand why the folks here who are having issues aren't collaborating and planning to go ahead with a class action.
The transmission is a big safety factor, if the NHSTA get's involved, it will be a big recall for Ford that will dig into their pockets. Problem is they can't fix it, otherwise all of us would not be expressing our disgust.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #28
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
The transmission is a big safety factor, if the NHSTA get's involved, it will be a big recall for Ford that will dig into their pockets. Problem is they can't fix it, otherwise all of us would not be expressing our disgust.
Ok. So how many folks here have filed a complaint with the NHSTA?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #29
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
They CAN'T? Are you sure about that? ;)

Perhaps the issue is that they don't want to deal with the cost of "fixing" it for every single vehicle sold. Once they publish a TSB or issue a recall, they will have a MUCH harder time denying warranty claims for tranny issues...

It's kind of hard to tell, as Ford carefully ensures that customers only deal with dealerships, and dealerships are very tightly controlled by FoMoCo.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #30
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Quote:
Ok. So how many folks here have filed a complaint with the NHSTA?
I am not sure? A few dozen won't do much good, power in numbers.

Bookmarks & Social Networks