Dead battery - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
pig4bill
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95871
What I Drive: 2012 blue sedan

FF Reputation: 1 pig4bill Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dead battery

This is mostly an fyi thread, because I had trouble finding info on the subject.

Bought the car new in Jan of 2012, battery passed away in May of 2013. That's pretty horrible battery life. There was no prior indication of it going bad. No alternator lights or low battery warnings. I spend 3 hours a day on the freeway, so it has plenty of time to recharge every day.

I came out in the morning, took a short run to the store, and shut everything off. Four hours later I came out to make a food run, and it was basically dead. It had enough to juice to run the door locks (thank goodness) but not enough to even bump the starter. It had 10.45 volts on my voltmeter. It should have 13 or 14. Although the weather is very moderate in this area, I wanted to check the water levels (in hot dry areas like Arizona even "maintenance free" batteries lose water after a year). I could only check the cells in the front, and one cell was a little low, but not very bad. I left the charger on it all night, and it would not take a charge at all. It started with ease when jumped, so I bought a new jump starter battery because my old one was worn out.

Monday morning I went to a dealer, but they didn't stock the battery, so I went to another one about 8 miles away. Warranty on the battery is 36 months or 36,000 miles. Mine was 17 months old and I had... 36,300 miles on it. ARGGGHHHH. I don't know what mileage has to do with battery life since the car basically runs off the alternator while it's running, other than to eliminate warranty claims like in my case.

The good news is it cost about 130 or 140 bucks for a new one, including install. I'm not sure I want a new Ford battery since the old one was so crappy. They did replace it in under an hour, so it must not be as bad a job as it looks. The damn thing is virtually buried, so it looks like a horrible job to replace it at first glance. Oh, it also cost me a weekend of rental car fees and I bought a jumpstarter battery that I should not have needed. I was lucky that I got stranded at home instead of out somewhere.

I would recommend anyone with a Focus a year or more older get a small jumpstarter battery (about 50 bucks at Home Depot) and keep it in their trunk. Yes, you can call roadside service, but then you have to wait for them to come and it could be a long wait if you're out in the boonies. I had NO warning and these batteries are clearly defective to be failing so quickly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
ShogunSamurai2005
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91057
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus 5 dr

FF Reputation: 1 ShogunSamurai2005 Good Standing Member
With all this trouble you couldve been to wal mart and replaced the battery for around $80.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
The battery is easy to pull and replace, but unfortunately it's not covered in the manual.

It goes something like this (going from memory here) :

Disconnect ground at strut tower.
Remove lid
Disconnect positive at post
Pull front "gate" of battery box up, and hinge it down
Remove battery tie-down bracket
Slide battery partially out to disconnect negative at post
Slide out to remove

Reverse for installation
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.

Last edited by TboneZX3; 05-21-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114099
What I Drive: 2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus

FF Reputation: 1 Vanquished Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That's ridiculous no battery should did that quickly. Do you happen to know your build date? I'm wondering if your car is like mine and sat on the lot for a while before purchasing. (mine longer than most) Mine is a Sept 2011 build date that i bought in April 2013. I think i should get my battery tested then. Really sucks that you were only 300 miles out of warranty, ford should do something about that

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
kevinxb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96008
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kevinxb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Happened to me after 8 months of owning the car. Luckily I was still under warranty and the dealer replaced it no charge. They put in a Motorcraft Max battery, which is hopefully better than whatever came from the factory. Haven't had any issues since, knock on wood.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Bliky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95135
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Bliky Good Standing Member
About a year after owning my Focus its battery died too. Mine also had a pile of battery acid on the positive terminal but I have no clue why. I was at 35600 when the dealership changed it so I guess I got lucky but they did a bad job changing it. They removed both top pieces of the battery job cover and the battery (I think) is seated too far back and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the rear part of the cover back on >.<
Old 05-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi everyone,

If you're in the market for a new battery, I recommend checking out these coupons so you can save some green: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 05-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
pig4bill
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
The battery is easy to pull and replace, but unfortunately it's not covered in the manual.

It goes something like this (going from memory here) :

Disconnect ground at strut tower.
Remove lid
Disconnect positive at post
Pull front "gate" of battery box up, and hinge it down
Remove battery tie-down bracket
Slide battery partially out to disconnect negative at post
Slide out to remove

Reverse for installation
I can't see how, going by your description. My battery is right up against the airbox. There's no room to move any gate, and even if it wasn't there, there's no room to slide the battery out.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
My battery failed after 3 months of ownership, Ford quickly replaced it. I don't have an issue with it, its a battery and they fail. Better the battery than the transmission.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Old 05-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
pig4bill
Focus Rookie

Halfway decent batteries don't fail in less than 3 or 4 years. Not at the rate these Focus batteries do. The battery that came in my BMW worked great for 10 years.

Bookmarks & Social Networks