Waxing and washing - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Afbar1114
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114836
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Afbar1114 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Waxing and washing

Just got a new focus titanium. It's a little over a week old. When can I start waxing it? I would like to get a good wax going and thinking about waxing once a month with a wash every week. Is this all ok? Also first time posting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
HCAutoDetail
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98950
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE (Oxford White)

FF Reputation: 1 HCAutoDetail Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Welcome to the Focus world Afbar.

It's a good idea to get a coat of wax on the car as soon as possible. The dealership likely put on some beauty wax before they handed it over to you. If it beads water pretty good when it rains, you have wax. Once a month waxing is overkill in the future though. Depending on what type of protection you end up buying at the store, a carnuba beauty wax will last 2-3 months, a sealant wax will last 4-6. This all varies on where you live, how you store the vehicle, where its parked during the day, ...

If you want some reading material, I suggest www.autogeekonline.net. Tons of suggestions and tutorials there. Personnally I use Meguiar's products, so you may want to try Meguiar's Ultimate Synthetic Paste Wax for a start.

Oh, and if you're hand washing (which you should), be sure to read up on the "Two bucket method" of washing.

Professional Swirl Remover!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Run a claybar over it first and then seal and wax as normal.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Afbar1114
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114836
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Afbar1114 Good Standing Member
ok thanks.. i just did the new ultimate wax paste and it was awesome. so before the winter comes i want to prepare the car. should i clay bar then polish then wax?
whats the difference between the gold glass paste wax and ultimate wax? I also started the two bucket wash today. I plan on trying to wash it at least once a week using the ultimate car wash they just came out with. now on to the rims. what should i use to clean them? right now i am using a bug scrubber which is soft but has a net around it. I clean them last using the same soap after washing the car. any more pointers would be great so i can keep it looking new for a few years. i am trying to get my garage cleaned so i can start putting it in the garage if i can.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
HCAutoDetail
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98950
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE (Oxford White)

FF Reputation: 1 HCAutoDetail Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I believe Gold Class is the older version, Ultimate is the reinvented, newer version of their line-up. I don't use the store bought versions so I'm not as familiar with the descriptions of each.

As for wheels, you may need a dedicated wheel cleaner to spray on and loosen up the grease and brake dust that often accumilates. Depending on your wheel, if you have a pop-on hubcap, it's not as much of an issue. If you have a open style wheel that needs cleaning in the barrel portion, it's invaluable to have a wheel brush.

Professional Swirl Remover!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afbar1114 View Post
ok thanks.. i just did the new ultimate wax paste and it was awesome. so before the winter comes i want to prepare the car. should i clay bar then polish then wax?
whats the difference between the gold glass paste wax and ultimate wax? I also started the two bucket wash today. I plan on trying to wash it at least once a week using the ultimate car wash they just came out with. now on to the rims. what should i use to clean them? right now i am using a bug scrubber which is soft but has a net around it. I clean them last using the same soap after washing the car. any more pointers would be great so i can keep it looking new for a few years. i am trying to get my garage cleaned so i can start putting it in the garage if i can.
You should only need to clay bar once a year. I try to do it following the winter (not that I get much of one anyways, just force of habit) in order to ensure that all of the winter contaminants (road salt, etc.) are removed. After clay then yes, polish and seal/wax. I usually take a week (not continual work, just time that I have available) to ensure that all of the panels are properly addressed and get the necessary attention. If you do it correctly once and wash it correctly with the two-bucket system, you shouldn't have any paint issues to have to correct outside of environmental hazards (rock chips, etc.)

As for the bug scrubber-throw it away. It will do more damage than it will do good. If you think that you have something that needs that sort of scrubbing then it is best to use a clay bar to avoid marring the finish. This goes for bugs, tar, bird poop, etc. Just don't use the scrubber. And if you aren't already aware, do not drop your clay. If you do then you need to throw it away in order to prevent scratching your paint with the contaminants it picks up from the ground. Any time you clay an area after you've done your once-a-year detail, don't forget to re-seal/wax the area.

As HCAutoDetail pointed out, your wheels need a special cleaner to help release the brake dust. On top of that, you should have a dedicated set of tools that cleans absolutely nothing but your wheels. Using them on any other part of the car can possibly transfer contaminants to your paint and require paint correction to fix. You want to wash them before you wash your car to avoid any road grime being tossed onto the paint. Use the two-bucket method in the exact same manner to wash your wheels as you do the rest of your car, one wheel/wheel well at a time. When you are done, simply empty/clean your buckets and proceed with washing your car in the normal manner with the items that you use for your paint.

As a side note-if you treat your wheels in the same manner as your paint (clay/polish/wax), then keeping them clean will be much easier. There are some wheel-specific waxes available, but at the very least you can use off-the-shelf waxes to accomplish the same task. Just wax them in the same manner as you would the rest of your vehicle (still with wheel-dedicated tools) and it will be harder for brake dust to attach itself to the wheel and easier to remove during a wash at the same time.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks