Ford bought back my Focus 2012 SEL - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
RobotsRock
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114666
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 RobotsRock Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford bought back my Focus 2012 SEL

Ford bought back my 2012 Focus SEL earlier this month. I really loved the car except for the issues I had with MFT/Sync, so was sad to see it go.

I had consistent problems with My Ford Touch / Sync with the Focus (non-Nav). Whenever I tried to use route guidance the system often crashed, including endless beeping when trying to get my location or an infinite loop where it kept going "Call disconnected. Route download did not complete. Would you like to try again? Please say yes or no. - I once let it go about 20 times before giving up. On a few occasions, the system completely froze, and I had to pull off the highway to do a fuse pull fearing my battery would drain.

The dealer tried on 5 visits to repair the issue over nearly two years - usually an APIM reprogram and a replacement of the APIM on one visit. The likely problem was the GPSM which they never touched, despite my insistence. After working with Ford customer relations for over a year, thoroughly documenting every failure, and having a conference with a Ford engineer, Ford offered to buy back my car or get a replacement.

I opted for a replacement due to their generosity to take me out of my troubles with the Focus, and the opportunity to custom order a new vehicle. I went for their new plug-in hybrid, the C-Max Energi, especially given that the Focus SEL trim was no longer available nor was the Homelink garage door opener or rain-sensing wipers which I used often. I work on technology to make EV adoption feasible for commercial applications, so the opportunity to own one myself was valuable given recouping the depreciation on my Focus. I had to pay the difference in MSRP plus taxes, with no incentives. Stupidly, this came out a bit more expensive than taking the cash offer and buying the new vehicle with current incentives, but I'm happy I got the exact vehicle I wanted.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the information on troubleshooting my Focus throughout the past two years. Just wanted to pass my experience along to help others as it may.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Focus112
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50026
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus

Points 3,514, Level 37
Points: 3,514, Level: 37 Points: 3,514, Level: 37 Points: 3,514, Level: 37
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 5 Focus112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well that sounds like a pretty sweet deal.... Congrats
Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

Points 2,471, Level 30
Points: 2,471, Level: 30 Points: 2,471, Level: 30 Points: 2,471, Level: 30
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
good to hear, good news you were able to resolve directly with Ford without lawyers...
congrats, enjoy the new ride!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
bsp_53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87580
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

Points 519, Level 10
Points: 519, Level: 10 Points: 519, Level: 10 Points: 519, Level: 10
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
It sounds like you handled the situation quite well ... good job and enjoy your C-Max.

Hatch Nation #174
Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

Points 854, Level 15
Points: 854, Level: 15 Points: 854, Level: 15 Points: 854, Level: 15
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
Really sucks that you had to endure a vehicle with so many issues over that period of time... but it's really nice to see Ford step up and handle the situation.

In doing so, they retained a Ford customer and really it's a win win for both of you in the end.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
This is what worries me so much about the Focus. That they are so sophisticated that the manufacturer can't fix even them when something goes wrong.

Maybe the Focus is a new breed of disposable car? I am surprised they took it back over an infotainment issue, hopefully the C-Max treats you better.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Lemon

Points 2,251, Level 28
Points: 2,251, Level: 28 Points: 2,251, Level: 28 Points: 2,251, Level: 28
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 0 Tubeway Army Newbie
So no DCT issues? I am amazed they just could not get the MFT fixed, the hardware is replaceable and it seems that in your case there was something deeper than just the MFT module itself to warrant a buy back.

I think once a car starts costing Ford more in warranty costs than it's worth, they do this. Labor isn't cheap.

C-Max Energi still has MFT, so are you still concerned? I am having no MFT issues, only DCT. I would not ever accept a trade or switch for another DCT equipped car.

I have not read too many complaints about the C-Max only the fuel economy class action lawsuit, the car is of course relatively new so give it time. It was my first choice for a car, but opted for the Focus based on the overall MPG, Energi was out of my price range. Cool though if you can go 20+ miles on battery alone.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
84Camaro_L69
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105844
What I Drive: 2012 Diamond Tri Coat White SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 84Camaro_L69 Good Standing Member
Awesome!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
When I was having issues with headroom in my '12 Ti hatch, I was considering of taking a loss and also trading in my 2006 Mazdaspeed6 (which I was trying to sell anyways) for a C-Max. Had the trade-in not have been 10k less (owed 28k, was going to get 16k with 12,000km :S) I might have gone with it. The C-Max is quite wonderful. Super roomy (you could literally wear a tophat and STILL Have room lol) and drives very much like the Focus. Didn't get to do full on city driving in it but I thoroughly enjoyed driving it and trying to get the best mpg. Good luck and enjoy it! I still love my Focus and know you'll enjoy the C-Max :D
Old 05-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
Congrats OP .Same here . After a tough 1 year or so they basically bumped my trade value up to where I took a 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded with manual . Lost one year of use but almost 38000 kms so I am happy. So basically new car just as if anyone walked into the dealer and bought one and financed for 5 years at 0 percent.

Bookmarks & Social Networks