How do you manage your intelligent key access? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
haloflightleader
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113855
What I Drive: 2013, White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 haloflightleader Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How do you manage your intelligent key access?

How do you manage your intelligent key? I don't like to put anything in my pocket, much less leave it there while driving. In cargo shorts, it's acceptable, but at my thighs, it bothers me. I could leave the key in the center console cupholder, but that is not its intended use.

My Focus came with intelligent key access. The only place to insert a key is at the door in case the power of either the remote or the car disables entry. The key is inconspicuously hidden in the remote for this purpose. There is no place to insert a key to begin ignition at all.

The idea behind the intelligent key is that the key is no longer needed to enter, exit and lock, and drive the vehicle. It simply needs to be nearby. But the key fob is large and I will bet there are other keys in our keychain that only worsens things. With the old way, keys were inserted into the ignition. Incidentally, the rest of your keys also hung with it which put the whole thing out of your way while driving.

One idea was to get an S carabiner so I could simply attach everything onto one of my belt loops. This seemed to work fine, but now I have something dangling on my belt loop, it can get noisy and sometimes get caught on things.

What do you do to take advantage of the benefits of the intelligent key keeping the monstrous remote out of your way?

Automated Parking System
27city/38hwy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
dstiefel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102439
What I Drive: 2012 focus ti. hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dstiefel Good Standing Member
I leave the key in cup holder. When i need to lock it i put fob in my pocket or lunch box. For u i suggest to treat it the same as u did with ur previous set of keys. Or a fanny-pack may work for you to. Having to deal with the inconvenience of a fob is a small issue to me. You may want to ditch the fanny-pack and install a keypad to lock your keys inside.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
haloflightleader
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113855
What I Drive: 2013, White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 haloflightleader Good Standing Member
Brilliant idea!!!
Automated Parking System
27city/38hwy
Old 05-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
The fob for my ST is the smallest one I have ever had, I never notice it in my pocket.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
dieselboy77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61381
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST ST3

FF Reputation: 2 dieselboy77 Good Standing Member
girls with big purse has advantage over us guys
Old 05-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #6
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
The fob for my ST is the smallest one I have ever had, I never notice it in my pocket.
Same. The IA fob is so small compared to the "set of keys" I'd normally be caring around it doesn't bother me in the slightest in a pocket. 15 years ago I was happy to be able to have one key that opened all the doors, trunk and ignition, keyless entry was a number pad on the door. Man times have changed.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Savio
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94462
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Savio Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by F35-JSF View Post
Same. The IA fob is so small compared to the "set of keys" I'd normally be caring around it doesn't bother me in the slightest in a pocket. 15 years ago I was happy to be able to have one key that opened all the doors, trunk and ignition, keyless entry was a number pad on the door. Man times have changed.
Different model year Focus' had different sized IA keys. The 2012 Ti's with IA had the very small version whereas the 13+ models gained remote start which included the much larger key that other models such as the Edge, Explorer, etc get.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savio View Post
Different model year Focus' had different sized IA keys. The 2012 Ti's with IA had the very small version whereas the 13+ models gained remote start which included the much larger key that other models such as the Edge, Explorer, etc get.
Thumb sized? It's the one I have for my escape titanium.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
packnrat
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95734
What I Drive: 08 silver

FF Reputation: 1 packnrat Good Standing Member
thinking about epoxying the crap to the underside of the steering column.
then i can use a normal key to get the motor going.

no such junk is needed. if a crook wants you car it is gone no fancy computer trash is going to stop a real crook...maybe a joy rider but only then.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloflightleader View Post
How do you manage your intelligent key? I don't like to put anything in my pocket, much less leave it there while driving. In cargo shorts, it's acceptable, but at my thighs, it bothers me. I could leave the key in the center console cupholder, but that is not its intended use.
I think this is what is referred to as a "first world problem"....

Bookmarks & Social Networks