Focus 2013 reliability - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #21
NotAnSES
Focus Addict

Fan#: 77951
What I Drive: 2013 PB Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 NotAnSES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sorry for the douchey reply OP. I was having a terrible day...To answer your question: The 2013 Focus with an automatic transmission has been having problems with the new dual-clutch. My friend just bought one a few weeks ago, and it is already back in the shop with said issues.
ST Crew #109
2006 ZX4 ST SAP Sold!
2007 Honda Civic Si----Sold.. :(
1995 BMW 316i Beater for Germany
2013 Focus ST!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #22
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I was getting my oil changed at the dealer and the service manager and I were talking and he said the DCT is the biggest source of problems with the MK3 and there were 3 of them on the racks that day for that very issue. He said be glad I bought the 5 speed. Even the car rags I read have noted the DCT is not a strong point.

Yes,it's not all of them but the DCT does seem to be having more than it's share of problems than it should since there seems there are more threads on the DCT having problems than any other part of the 3rd gens.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:14 AM   #23
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
I was getting my oil changed at the dealer and the service manager and I were talking and he said the DCT is the biggest source of problems with the MK3 and there were 3 of them on the racks that day for that very issue. He said be glad I bought the 5 speed. Even the car rags I read have noted the DCT is not a strong point.

Yes,it's not all of them but the DCT does seem to be having more than it's share of problems than it should since there seems there are more threads on the DCT having problems than any other part of the 3rd gens.
I don't know how this would parse in French but.

I think that a great many of the so called DCT issues are in the way they are driven and the expectations of their owners.

I love it, it takes getting used to and the programming is rather less than perfect but after about 10 minutes of driving as you wish to, it will adapt to your driving style and begin to respond as you want.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #24
dan03833
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87798
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE (Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 dan03833 Good Standing Member
I bought my 2012 SE in July of '11. I've done nothing but change the oil and put air in the tires. As far as the sync system goes, it took a few days to get used to it, now that it's 2nd nature, I have no issues. I thnk the issue had more to do with percieved complication than actual function.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #25
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Lemon

Points 2,251, Level 28
Points: 2,251, Level: 28 Points: 2,251, Level: 28 Points: 2,251, Level: 28
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 0 Tubeway Army Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandT View Post
I don't know how this would parse in French but.

I think that a great many of the so called DCT issues are in the way they are driven and the expectations of their owners.

I love it, it takes getting used to and the programming is rather less than perfect but after about 10 minutes of driving as you wish to, it will adapt to your driving style and begin to respond as you want.
The DCT should not have to be driven hard to work, the whole point of the DCT is improved fuel economy, driving it hard and with excess acceleration totally goes against Ford's reason for the DCT.

My transmission is still an issue, at less than 2500 miles. Shuddering, grinding, missing shifts occasionally.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #26
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
How many DCT owners have driven a well operating DCT say in something like the EVO which acts nothing like the Focus' DCT and yes,I've driven both. The Mitsu's is incredibly quick and actually impressed me and when I drove a couple DCT equipped Focus they were a major letdown. If you have to make an escuse for a car's shortcomings as "normal" then you just sound like the salesman at the dealerships.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #27
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
How many DCT owners have driven a well operating DCT say in something like the EVO which acts nothing like the Focus' DCT and yes,I've driven both. The Mitsu's is incredibly quick and actually impressed me and when I drove a couple DCT equipped Focus they were a major letdown. If you have to make an escuse for a car's shortcomings as "normal" then you just sound like the salesman at the dealerships.
From what I understand, wet-clutch setups like the Mitsu SST transmission (and even the wet-clutch Ford transmission available in Europe) typically do behave more "normally" than the dry-clutch DCT. Though operation is smoother and torque capacity is typically higher with wet clutches, the tradeoff is expensive fluid and filter changes. With this in mind, I'm not sure the direct comparison of the operation of wet-clutch systems and dry-clutch systems is a fair one.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #28
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
From what I understand, wet-clutch setups like the Mitsu SST transmission (and even the wet-clutch Ford transmission available in Europe) typically do behave more "normally" than the dry-clutch DCT. Though operation is smoother and torque capacity is typically higher with wet clutches, the tradeoff is expensive fluid and filter changes. With this in mind, I'm not sure the direct comparison of the operation of wet-clutch systems and dry-clutch systems is a fair one.
i agree fully w/ u here.. my experience w/ wet clutches (all VW) has been very positive... While my DCT in my focus performs w/o problems it's not as nice a tranny to drive as that in the VW.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Lemon

Points 2,251, Level 28
Points: 2,251, Level: 28 Points: 2,251, Level: 28 Points: 2,251, Level: 28
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 0 Tubeway Army Newbie
Quote:
I test drove a Dodge Dart Rallye with the Turbo and Fiat DDCT, it did not react or feel anything close to my car but it got similar crappy reviews as the Ford DCT. My car often feels lethargic in the low end with grinding and shuddering. I have not driven a Mitsu DCT only a Lancer with the CVT, was not impressed with the rubber band feel.

The wet clutches are hard to compare, reason I only can compare the Dart since it's the closest thing to the PowerShit.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #30
DerrekForreal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53921
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Hatchback - 5 speed

Points 929, Level 16
Points: 929, Level: 16 Points: 929, Level: 16 Points: 929, Level: 16
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 DerrekForreal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
While my DCT in my focus performs w/o problems it's not as nice a tranny to drive as that in the VW.
I think you hit the nail on the head! It is not as nice of tranny to drive and therefore unacceptable to most of the masses of folks who buy an automatic Focus - hence all the complaints. ( I have driven VW & Ford, and the VW is much smoother overall).

Ford should have known its customer base a bit better and released the DCT as a 3rd tranny option to work out the bugs first before making it the only automatic option.

Bookmarks & Social Networks