SRI or CAI? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
KQSVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112629
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 KQSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SRI or CAI?

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. I just have a quick question. I recently bought my best friend who passed away's 2003 SVT focus with 46K on it. He already installed an SRI on it, and to be honest, I'm not sure what brand it is. But I'm considering buying the AEM CAI for it to replace the SRI. Is it worth it to drop the $250+ on the CAI to replace the SRI? If I go ahead with the CAI, I'm going to wait a few weeks to get Tom's tune. But if I stick with the SRI, then I'll just go ahead with the tune once I install the CFM TB. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
KQSVT
Focus Rookie

Forgot to mention that this is my daily driver. I'm just looking to increase HP a bit. I've already installed three poly mounts, did a tune up and put a short shift throw kit in. Now I'm just waiting to do a transmission flush and get my tune (that I hear so many great things about). And on the tune, is that something that's going to "hurt" the engine or cause any type of damage in the long-run?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
waraya
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114416
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus SVT (black)

FF Reputation: 1 waraya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Sorry about your friend. Not sure on your intake question. As far as tune.... if done right shouldn't be a problem. It will probably give you more power and better MPG. I'm in the process of doing this as well and have been in touch with Tom from http://www.focus-power.com. He offers free updates as you add or delete mods which is great.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
KQSVT
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I too have spoke with Tom. Just want to make sure I got all of my mods in prior to the tune. It'll just be less hassle for me. Definitely looking forward to it!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
SlowVTecs
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107750
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 SlowVTecs Good Standing Member
Hey man sorry for your loss. But I run a CAI on my 04 SVTF and I have no regrets with it. Spent $50 for a knock off one off ebay and does the same as a AEM. Pretty much paying for the name. Just gotta make sure to get a different filter instead of the one it comes with. I'm kinda in the same boat as far as tune and sts goes.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
why wait for the tune? you get free updates. also you will likely updated it at least once because he will give you a good base line then you will data log and send him data and then he will send you an updated tune. then repeat as you add upgrades.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Cai = win
Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
KQSVT
Focus Rookie

Ok. I may just take the SRI off and go with a CAI. I'll probably end up getting the AEM for the car. Just took a look at some lambo door kits too...that may be done after the tune :)
Old 05-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #9
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Keep the SRI on it. You wont see any measurable gains by switching to a CAI.

The SVT stock intake is actually pretty decent. SRIs and CAIs only see about a 5hp gain. Even a stock intake with a K&N Filter can see about 3 extra HP.

For what its worth, you would be spending money on something that may or may not get you 1hp. Not really worth it.

Consider upgrading the throttle-body, or getting a better exhaust. Or, if you really want to wake your car up, consider upgrading the suspension.

The SVT engine is prettymuch already tapped out. A good tune can help smooth things out and give you a little more effective power-band, but even with full bolt-ons, you wont see much over a 10-15hp gain. The suspension however is a different story. Drop a H&R Cupp kit on it, and you will be ripping up corners like nothing else.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
KQSVT
Focus Rookie

How about just adding a rear sway bar in the back? Or even the front bar as well? I thought the standard SVT suspension is pretty good. Wouldnt it just be more cost effective to put the bars in rather than upgrade the whole suspension? I'm gonna stick with the SRI, I found out it's Steeda's SRI, so I'm just going to clean and re oil the filter since it sat for a while. Thanks for the input too!

Bookmarks & Social Networks