Shelby ST review - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

Points 26,402, Level 97
Points: 26,402, Level: 97 Points: 26,402, Level: 97 Points: 26,402, Level: 97
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thumbs up Shelby ST review

Not sure this is a repost, but I guess they are going to try to give you your money's worth (kind of):

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...175609359.html

========================================

When the 2013 Shelby Focus ST revealed its menacing face at the Detroit auto show earlier this year, one colossal question remained: “$40k for a Focus?” What made it worse was that, at the time, no engine upgrade was available, making the $14,995 premium on top of the regular Focus ST purely about improved handling and aesthetical madness.

Now, however, an engine upgrade is available. The original ST pumps out 252 hp, but Shelby’s overdue renovation boosts the turbocharged 2.0-liter to 275 hp - a rather stout figure for a front-wheel drive hatchback. But when I turned up at the Shelby American headquarters in Las Vegas, company president, John Luft, informed me that the Shelby Focus ST now boasts over 300 hp, and I would be the first (non-employee) to sample its eager bite.

In fact, the motor upgrade had only been completed the night before I arrived, and the folks at Shelby were intrigued to learn my thoughts: “Here are the keys,” said Luft. “If you’re not back by 3.30pm, I’ll know it’s gotten the better of you,” he laughed.

“Either that, or I enjoyed myself so much I drove it back home to Indianapolis,” I jokingly replied -- although I won’t pretend the thought didn’t cross my mind.

Exiting the building, the embellished Focus gleamed in the parking lot. There was no mistaking it, dressed in traditional Shelby blue and white and boasting rally-like numbers and decals; “98” represents the late Carroll Shelby’s number. The huge Shelby/Borla twin-exhaust, sporty hood vents and sleek carbon-fiber rear wing, made the petit “pocket-rocket” look like Popeye ingesting copious amounts of spinach. While it might be too “boy-racer” for some, it garners serious attention from many.

The term “pocket-rocket” was often thrown around during my trip. It’s worth remembering that, while a tuned Focus may seem decidedly un-Shelby, Carroll had a distinct appetite for the hot-hatch; in 1986 he took the Dodge Omni and turned it into the notorious Shelby GLHS. After Carroll Shelby’s death, almost one year ago to the day, Shelby American returned to the former chicken farmer’s roots, offering the Shelby Focus ST and the incredible 575 hp Shelby Raptor.

“We’ve had many people write to us saying how Carroll would be turning in his grave if he knew we were tuning hatchbacks and trucks,” Luft told me. “It’s crazy, because Carroll loved to tune vehicles like this.”

Climbing behind the wheel, Shelby logos festooned the cabin. A touch of a button brought all 300 horses to life, evoking a sound like a provoked T-Rex feasting upon Jeff Goldblum.

Accelerating out of the parking lot, the first thought through my head was: “Man, this thing’s fast,” as I witnessed the traction control light flicker wildly throughout third gear. A few milliseconds after enjoying the hooligan-esque sensations, the vicious tug of the steering wheel became apparent; with stiffer motor mounts, Shelby claims to have tamed the Focus’s torque-steer by 50 percent -- adding 50 hp did, however, do plenty to eradicate those improvements. The borderline silly power is derived from intercooler, turbo, and exhaust modifications. As Luft told me: “Stock motors, no matter how good they are from the factory, always provide plenty for us to tweak.”

Under heavy power, the sound of Goldblum’s crushing bones captivated. Turbo lag remained noticeable until you rise above 3,500 rpm, but once you hit that figure, the Shelby wheels and tires chirped louder than a budgie during mating season. Hitting the brakes, the car stopped with remarkable efficiency, thanks to specific Shelby spec brakes and rotors. The pedal, however, was grabby, making slow stops embarrassingly jerky.

And despite Shelby’s installation of its short-throw shifter, the 6-speed manual transmission felt rubbery and long, not unlike the stock STs. But the more I drove the car, the less I cared about grabby brakes, sloppy gears, and massive torque-steer; in fact, the feel of the torque-steer improved as my arms adjusted to the pull. I found myself incessantly smiling, with each and every stab of the throttle. The noise — not unlike a rowdy Fiat 500 Abarth —m ixed with 300 screaming ponies directed entirely through the front wheels, felt refreshingly uncivilized.

With the addition of Shelby/Ford Racing suspension, which not only stiffens the package but also lowers the ride-height by an inch, cornering was planted. Did I mention the sound? The whistle from the turbo buzzed like a hummingbird overdosed on nectar.

Sure, the Shelby Focus ST possesses faults, but the enjoyment factor certainly eradicates most concerns. But is it really worth around $40k when including the price of the car? For me, I’d rather a more powerful all-wheel drive Subaru WRX STI. Or a loaded Mustang GT. But there’s no denying the caché the Shelby name holds. And as a head-turner, few grab attention like Shelby’s mad “pocket-rocket.” It certainly barks to the right tune.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

Points 1,442, Level 21
Points: 1,442, Level: 21 Points: 1,442, Level: 21 Points: 1,442, Level: 21
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Over 300hp? It mentioned in the article it has Turbo and intercooler upgrades, I wonder what exactly they did.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

Points 11,129, Level 69
Points: 11,129, Level: 69 Points: 11,129, Level: 69 Points: 11,129, Level: 69
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
That's more like it from Shelby..

Good to see that the stock motor can handle efficiently 300hp.. I wonder what they did exactly.. As far as mods.. And how conservative was the tune from Shelby.. And if there would be a Stage 1-2-3 tune...

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
Focus Revolution Club
Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
YellowJellyBean
Love CA / Hate CARB

Fan#: 69030
What I Drive: MÜSTÄRD

FF Reputation: 13 YellowJellyBean Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
If this were the car they unveiled months ago, everyone would have been much happier. Hopefully they didn't kill their PR with the initial $15,000 sticker package.

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 05-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

Points 2,252, Level 28
Points: 2,252, Level: 28 Points: 2,252, Level: 28 Points: 2,252, Level: 28
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
^^ My thoughts as well. Seemed like they made their first announcement of the Shelby Focus too soon, and should have waited until power numbers were finalized. Hell they even have proper seats in this one, looks like black/white Recaros perhaps.

Still not worth what they're asking IMO, but the sticker shock stings a bit less with 300 HP.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 80k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 05-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,883, Level 66
Points: 9,883, Level: 66 Points: 9,883, Level: 66 Points: 9,883, Level: 66
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
^^ My thoughts as well. Seemed like they made their first announcement of the Shelby Focus too soon, and should have waited until power numbers were finalized. Hell they even have proper seats in this one, looks like black/white Recaros perhaps.

Still not worth what they're asking IMO, but the sticker shock stings a bit less with 300 HP.
This one started with recaros, but that doesn't mean they all will, especially if you have to bring your car to them, and their efforts to recover the ST1 seats with the katskinz covers looked terrible at the auto show, and the interior was base ST. Nothing they had done at the autoshow was worth ~15k over the standard car.

Now they might actually have a little something with the tune, but it's still a stretch to say it's worth it yet.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Squareleft
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33224
What I Drive: 01 ZX3, 07 Volvo S60R

Points 1,078, Level 17
Points: 1,078, Level: 17 Points: 1,078, Level: 17 Points: 1,078, Level: 17
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Squareleft Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Even so. 40k. In the end, its not an RS. Or the prestige of owning one. Its a modded ST. And for 40k the fun factor of an STI/Evo X imho would be greater.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
qweesy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12042
What I Drive: 2004 focus Duratec 2.3 RS (DEAD)

Points 3,113, Level 34
Points: 3,113, Level: 34 Points: 3,113, Level: 34 Points: 3,113, Level: 34
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 4 qweesy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareleft View Post
Even so. 40k. In the end, its not an RS. Or the prestige of owning one. Its a modded ST. And for 40k the fun factor of an STI/Evo X imho would be greater.
x100 , and FAKE carbon is retarded
Old 05-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,680, Level 95
Points: 24,680, Level: 95 Points: 24,680, Level: 95 Points: 24,680, Level: 95
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareleft View Post
^ This x2.
2014 FiST-
Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
ALLANGT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 65450
What I Drive: 2004 Blue ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 ALLANGT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I like it, but $40k you could have a slightly used GT500 or Corvette.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.