ST3 Leather Seats Comfort question - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Anthony2816
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116150
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST w/ST3 pack

FF Reputation: 1 Anthony2816 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I saw many of my own sentiments in the posts above. Just to add one more data point, I'm 5'10", 215 pounds, size 38-40 waist.

Worst part about the ST3 Recaros is getting in and out, maneuvering yourself over the seat's side bolster. It's not hard to squish your gentleman's plums at first. Now when I get out, I find it best to grab the steering wheel at the 10:00 o'clock position with my right hand, and use a fair amount of arm strength to lift myself over the bolster as I egress.

Fit: Yes, it's snug, but that's the point. I think my body is probably the upper limit for what would fit. As it is I occasionally have to adjust what's in my pockets so the contents aren't pushed into my legs by the lower side bolsters. Also, I wear a leather belt holster for my Galaxy S3 phone, and I have to slide that more towards my front so the upper side bolster doesn't shove it into the side of my abdomen.

Performance: I get a lot of fun out of my ST by not slowing down for sharp curves, and the bolsters do an excellent job of holding me in place. I love the feeling of my torso pushing against the side bolster. I remember in my prior car having to brace my knee against the door during sharp rights...not so here.

Lumbar support: Would be nice to have an adjustment. However, I have a long history of back problems, and I do really well in these seats. For long trips I find my back can start to ache if I have the seat back more upright, but by reclining the seat a bit more of my upper body's weight is supported by the seat back, and the back ache resolves.

Black leather: Not good, especially if you're in a hot/sunny area. I hate that car manufacturers always assume that top-of-the-line should include leather. I haven't tried the cloth seats, but if they're otherwise the same size and shape as the leather ones, I'd much prefer those...especially with the yellow inserts that match my paint. (I don't care about seat heaters). However, I also wanted HID headlights, so black leather is what I got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
CurlyQ.Howard
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104311
What I Drive: 2013 Focus TBST3

FF Reputation: 1 CurlyQ.Howard Good Standing Member
Anthony2816, Just for reference, I'm 5'10.5" and 175, and the Recaro driver's seat is easier for me to get into and out of than the Titanium's. I hardly have to move it back (out of my driving position) to get out or in, which naturally I appreciate. My wife has back trouble (fibromyalgia), and she liked the Recaro seats so much more than the leather non Recaro in our Titanium that she would have wanted to trade on the seats alone. Of course the handling superiority, the fun of shifting through the gears, and the extra hp & torque were all a part of it too.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
Anthony2816
Focus Enthusiast

I just tried my wife's Titanium seat, and found ingress/egress much easier...except for the fact that she's 5'1", and it takes a while to lower and move back the electric seat.

Once in, though, my Recaros feel much better.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Anybody CC sidearms in the recaros and have issues? My 2012 SE Sport seats cause minimal discomfort while I'm packin', but I fear the recaros are much too binding to carry? I usually carry at 7:30 to 8:00 (yes, I'm a lefty).
Old 09-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
Anthony2816
Focus Enthusiast

My guess is that if you carry anywhere on your side from armpit to hip it's not going to fit very well. But can't you just go to your local dealer and try it out?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony2816 View Post
My guess is that if you carry anywhere on your side from armpit to hip it's not going to fit very well. But can't you just go to your local dealer and try it out?
Unfortunately, not a single dealer in the area has an ST in stock.

It may be that I'll have to keep it in a solid holster, clipped to the lip of the left door map/cubby as I occasionally do in my 2012 SE Sport.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
sambrower
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109589
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 sambrower Good Standing Member
Love ST3 seats

I have an ST3 and have put about 1000 miles on it this first month I have had it. As a 5' 10" 135 pound guy with a crazy metabolism I will say that these are the best seat I've sat in. The only nit-picky things for me are for resting my are on the center console between shifts I feel like I have to reach around the bolster and getting in and out in not as easy as a normal car. But it's ST rather than a normal car and the awesomness of the seats far outweighs these little quibbles for me!
Rally Revolution, Military Crew
Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
ChrissyL
Trying to Focus

Fan#: 64813
What I Drive: '13 Performance Blue ST3

FF Reputation: 13 ChrissyL Great Standing Member
My ST3's Recaros fit extremely well in the seatback and its bolsters. Best I've ever owned. The seat base is easing at 3,000 miles, but the base's bolsters are high enough to require a creative entry/slide to get over them, and they're just a bit snug against my thighs, but I'm a girl, so...I'm guessing these seats were modeled on skinny German guys in their 20s.
NW Posse #17
"Straight roads are for fast cars. Curvy roads are for fast drivers."
Old 09-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #19
qweesy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12042
What I Drive: 2004 focus Duratec 2.3 RS (DEAD)

FF Reputation: 3 qweesy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
yeah they feel awsome from all the ones I sat in...... sounds like some of you need to lose some weight.... Im 32 waist and they hug nicely
Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #20
xxWeinerDogxx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105482
What I Drive: [2013/T-Scrm/ST3 RIP] 2014 OWST3

FF Reputation: 1 xxWeinerDogxx Good Standing Member
I really enjoy the seats, but one thing you won't do is sit half-in/half-out with the door open. It's either all-in or nothing for me. 5'10"/190

Bookmarks & Social Networks