Build Thread: Painted Rims and Calipers - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Silver Talon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113186
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Silver Talon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Build Thread: Painted Rims and Calipers

So I pulled the trigger on a plan I have been brewing up for my 12 Ingot silver hatch. Been dying for red calipers and something a little different for my rims, without replacing them. Since I work at AutoZone, I figured Id try some stuff out that we have for paint that you can peel off if you don't like it or are done with it. Decided to add some black to the rims, but didn't like how most people blacked out the middle of the rims, so I changed that up a bit. Also gutted the brakes so I could paint everything really well with caliper paint. Ended up running out (should have bought 2 cans) but had some engine paint that was close so I was able to finish. Took me a total of almost 10 hours by my self and with a lift. Long ass night considering I worked all day before starting this mess, but I think it was worth it! I love it and to my great surprise, so does my girlfriend! Ready for a pic overload???

The start. On the lift ready for tire removal at 6:30.

Brakes taken off. Calipers are left attached, as I was going to just tape up everything. Didn't feel like bleeding the whole car either.

Everything Hanging so I could try and get all the nooks and crannys covered well.

Everything on the caliper taped up and ready for some red!

Cant forget the rotor hats!

First coats of red. Was kinda bummed that in my excitement I forgot to tape up the rear brake lines, so those got some red on them, but some brake clean on a rag cleaned them up after I was done, enough so that you cant see it at least.

Now the big project, how to do the rims. After talking with my friend who owns the shop I was in, I decided to keep the middle the same, but paint the flats surfaces black, and the small triangles black with them. We thought that it would look like the chrome was floating, or give the rim an enhanced 3d effect, making them pop out of the wheel so to speak.

All taped up! Solid 45 mins in tape on that one rim to get it to where I was happy with it. The other 3 rims I didn't go as crazy with on tape cause I found out I really didn't need too. The paint I was using could just be rubbed off from any place I didn't want it to be, so just using a piece of cardboard to stop any crazy amounts of overspray was all I needed. Taping for the last 3 rims took about 30 mins a piece.

First coat on first rim done, and one more taped up. 2 more to go!

Last 3 ready for some paint.

In between taping sessions, I was putting multiple layers of paint on all my brake hardware. All parts had at least 3 coats on them, most with 4+. Also, want to make sure you can move your parking brake assembly when your done, don't want that baby sticking on you. Moving it back and forth before assembly will help a lot.

First wheel with 3 coats of black on it. I love it! Came out great, and gave the effect I was looking for too! I did take an eraser and edge all the burrs of paint off before being happy with all of them. It was time consuming but well worth it. Edges aren't perfect and if your really really close to the rim, you can see a few zig zag edges, but its basically rubber paint, and will almost be impossible to make a perfect edge.

Same wheel, just gone over with the eraser and shined the chrome up some and removed the overspray. Looks great!

Test fit on the rear, I could wait until I had the other rims done, I had to have a sneak peak of how it would look on the car!

The other 3 rims I did at one time, and went much quicker. The hardest thing about it was the nearly 45 min dry times. Rims took 3 coats and really could have handled a 4th, but it was nearly 3 when the last coat dryed, so I was ready to get out of there.

This is about 3:30am, and all 4 wheels are back on the car! Woot! I cant wait for bed!

And now a few shots of it on the ground, the finished product!

And a few shots outside after a few days had gone by, and had finely had a chance to wash the car.

What do you guys think???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom".
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Silver Talon
Focus Rookie

Any thoughts?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
kwg2371
Focus Addict

Fan#: 82857
What I Drive: 03 screming yellow SVT #1841

FF Reputation: 3 kwg2371 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
stock > ghetto
HatchNation #36
FF 13 best audio
FF 13 3rd place best in class SVT
FFW 13 best focus
FFW 13-14 best in class SVT
Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
Silver Talon
Focus Rookie

It's getto huh? I guess I don't see that.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
PumkinSvt
Dat Bewst Life!!

Fan#: 46561
What I Drive: 10 Forte DD,Comp SVTF

FF Reputation: 28 PumkinSvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (32)
Wheels

WHeels

WHEeels

WHEEls

WHEELs

WHEELS!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!กกกกกก

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile

HKS||Garrett||TopSpeed||Tial||Massive||
Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Silver Talon
Focus Rookie

Not digging the black? Someone else said the black made them look smaller, but in person it doesn't, makes the chrome pop.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
Lowtek
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44111
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3, 2011 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 12 Lowtek Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
LOL at those wheels. shit looks broke. I think he never should have traded in his bicycle for something with an engine.
^^ I must agree.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
manifesto
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112658
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 manifesto Good Standing Member
I think the wheels look awesome man, good job
Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
04ZTSJelf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100701
What I Drive: 04 D23 Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 04ZTSJelf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
For what it's worth... I like it. I like all black better, but what you've done is better than all chrome imo.

Bookmarks & Social Networks