What would you replace your focus with? - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #91
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
If you make it outside the MK3 section. You will see rwd v8 swaps going on all the time in 1st gen focus using a mustang engine trans and rear end. Mustangs rear end is quite narrow to fit larger wheels and fit perfect under a focus with the help of wheel adaptors. They make a bolt up kit to make this swap possible in the first gens. But most people like the couple builds currently going on in the forums just make everything from scratch minus the drivetrain.

If ford makes the mustang ecoboost 4 rwd all the componets will be there already. Just go down to your local dealership pick you up the trans, mounts and axles to turn the engine side ways then custom build the suspension wireing and stuff, like people are already doing today.

Sent from 34.0764 N, 118.4296 W
Some FWD blocks will not interchange with RWD bell housings. Such is the case with the Lincoln Continentals 4.6 DOHC engine. So it's not always as easy as rotating the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The Mustang is and will remain RWD with the caviat that they are developing a new independent rear suspension for the 2015 MY to go with the new and carry over powertrain line up.

It's more likely that anyone wanting to swap in the 2.3 L EcoBoost engine for a Focus ST would take one from an FWD application, such as if it were to be used in a Focus RS, or possibly the MKC.

Technically it wouldn't unless the engine would fit longitudinally in the engine bay and the wheel bases were close enough to make the swap, with or without a custom rear end and drive shaft.

The MK1 models had a huge amount of space and could fit the 4.6 L cammer v8 under the hood and had a driveshaft tunnel already for rally homologation, which made it slightly easier than with the MK3.

The current platform is available with AWD, but it's the transverse on demand awd type of system used in the Escape.
The wheel base really isn't an issue as custom drive shafts and axles are easily obtained.

If the tunnel is there for AWD, the tunnel is there for RWD. Current electronic AWD systems still use a drive shaft to the rear.

The only issue might be the firewall clearance of the bell housing with the transmission in its new location.

I would be more interested in the drivetrain from the new Escape AWD finding its way into a focus.

In the end, it's really not worth it unless you're looking for something to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #92
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
If ford was smart and I think they have a little sense. They won't girly the mustang. The competion is too stiff for them to be dropping in a 4 cylinder regardless of the power. I don't see them doing any thing less than a V6. As for the the IFS although know to bave better control and ride over a live rear I still see for sticking with a live rear. They have gotten so good at taming it they are already out performing the camaro for example. A live axle is stronger too.

I am eager to see a 4cyc mustang. I can imagine getting 300+ hp in a lighter chassis, quicker then the current v6 and get 30-35mpg.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #93
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
Some FWD blocks will not interchange with RWD bell housings. Such is the case with the Lincoln Continentals 4.6 DOHC engine. So it's not always as easy as rotating the engine.

The wheel base really isn't an issue as custom drive shafts and axles are easily obtained.

If the tunnel is there for AWD, the tunnel is there for RWD. Current electronic AWD systems still use a drive shaft to the rear.

The only issue might be the firewall clearance of the bell housing with the transmission in its new location.

I would be more interested in the drivetrain from the new Escape AWD finding its way into a focus.

In the end, it's really not worth it unless you're looking for something to do.
Yea finding a trans can be difficult but there is a guy building a rwd zetec on here now using a ranger trans for instance.

Most people build them for fun who wouldn't want a mustang that weighs 1200-1400 pounds less.

I you went to a show and had a mk3 with wheels, cai and some decals parked next to a fully build V8 focus which would you rather look at?

Old 05-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #94
romaczx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16581
What I Drive: 2003 Twilight Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 romaczx3 Good Standing Member
Well in my case i owned a couple Mk1 zx3s years ago that i enjoyed, but I've always been a mustang guy. When i found out unexpectedly we were having a child last year i traded in my beautiful, garage kept, bolt on 05 GT with only 25k miles on it for my new 12 focus s.

I miss my GT. And reality is that 99% of the time little man rides in moms escape and almost never I'm my focus. I like the mk3 a lot, I think it's a world's better car than they used to be. I'm also bored to tears with it. I listed mine for sale a couple weeks ago and have been test driving everything from minis, to fiats, to challengers and mustangs and several in between. I have to say on the used market for my money right now, I would hands down buy the 3.7 mustang if my car was sold. It's a great driving car with the 6 speed, with impressive performance and gas mileage to boot. Although i do plan on driving the genesis and the gti asap.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using FF Mobile
Zetec Crew #64
2013 Fiesta SE
2012 Focus S - Sold
2003 Twilight Blue ZX3 - Sold
2001 Yellow ZX3 - Sold
Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #95
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Moved to Ford Focus & General Car Chat.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 05-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #96
r1ch999999
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106748
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 r1ch999999 Good Standing Member
I'm supposed to test drive a base ST this weekend, we'll see if I can get a good deal on a trade.

FWIW, I thought this was MK3 specific, since I'm discussing what to replace a MK3 focus with, especially how it's only the MK3 that has the MFT and this transmission.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #97
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch999999 View Post
I'm supposed to test drive a base ST this weekend, we'll see if I can get a good deal on a trade.

FWIW, I thought this was MK3 specific, since I'm discussing what to replace a MK3 focus with, especially how it's only the MK3 that has the MFT and this transmission.
Since you're asking about buying other cars it would seem to make more sense that it's not actually MK3 related, as you were talking about getting rid of the car you have for car x, where car X could be anything.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #98
mjd4277
King of all blacks!!

Fan#: 64900
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE,2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 7 mjd4277 Good Standing Member
I already replaced my Focus-with a 2013 Fusion!!!lol Nothing like having a 1.6 liter EcoBoost engine with the 6-spd manual tranny,truly the best of both worlds!!! 1700 miles and counting!
2003 Nissan Frontier SVE "Trailbreaker"
Team Duratec #241-Bailout Money?!?! WTF is that??
Old 05-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #99
LOADRUNNER
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 39986
What I Drive: 2003 ZTW, Light Tundra Green Met

FF Reputation: 1 LOADRUNNER Good Standing Member
Funny you should ask . . .

Just replaced our '03 ZTW wagon last week!
Wanted to stay with a reliable manual trans, wagon, and that's getting to be a rare combo.
Bought a nice used Outback. Happy with it so far, but will be sad to sell the ZTW.
Grey Leather
Moon, CD Changer, TC, 4-Whl Discs
Old 05-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #100
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
When the time comes, I'll look for something RWD.

So far the S2000 is at the top of my short list.

Bookmarks & Social Networks