Aftermarket speakers review - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
atahmission
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112489
What I Drive: 2013, white, SE

FF Reputation: 1 atahmission Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Aftermarket speakers review

Hi guys,

so I just put new speakers in my '13 focus hatchback, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. That being the case, I thought it'd be beneficial to other owners interested in doing the same thing if there was a guide that describes not only the sound quality, but also the installation process, the price range and the level of difficulty. Here's my 0.02.

Speakers: Infinity Kappa 60.11cs component speakers.
Price: $349.99
Speakers link: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086011...cs.html?tp=106

Amplifier: Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack
Price: $149.99
Amplifier link: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP...er-reviews-tab

Total cost: $849.97

The verdict: I'm very, very pleased with the performance of both the speakers and the amp. The Infinities are my 4th set, and I'm finally content after some swings and misses. My first venture into aftermarket speakers was the coaxial version of the component Infinities I'm now running. Next the JL Audio TR600-CXi, and finally the JL Audio C2-525X before moving onto the components. Long story short, I wasn't thrilled with any of the speakers. One reason I went with the Infinity component is the particularly low sensitivity rating; low sensitivity equals better efficiency, requiring less energy to drive the cone. My initial setup was simply the 4 speakers being run off the head unit, but the marginal increase in sound didn't seem fitting of what's realistically a pretty pricey speaker. I wanted more power, but I didn't want to install a traditional amplifier by running 12V through the firewall and on back to the hatch, so the little power pack Alpine makes really piqued my interest. The installation was a breeze (easier than the speakers, nearly), and the sound improvement was immense. I'd considered a sub, but now I'm not certain. Sound reproduction is excellent. Mids and highs are incredible. Lows, too, are impressive, at least for a mid-woofer. Next I'm considering a signal processor to really get the most out of the system. I'll be working on a write up over the next few days, detailing how to install both, if anyone is interested.

The amp is installed in front the head unit, and slightly below. I used the attached mounting brackets to screw the amp to the surrounding plastic, after first laying down a layer of foam against the brackets, and against the head unit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
That's a nice clean installation.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
atahmission
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
That's a nice clean installation.
Yeah, and the installation was pretty simple, too. The splicing is time consuming, but really not all that difficult. Overall, I'm very pleased.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Fuzzygreen
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 112148
What I Drive: 2013 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 Fuzzygreen Good Standing Member
" One reason I went with the Infinity component is the particularly low sensitivity rating; low sensitivity equals better efficiency, requiring less energy to drive the cone"

?
a higher sensitivy speaker is easier to drive, not a lower one.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzygreen View Post
" One reason I went with the Infinity component is the particularly low sensitivity rating; low sensitivity equals better efficiency, requiring less energy to drive the cone"

?
a higher sensitivy speaker is easier to drive, not a lower one.
Yeah this is true, you're right. Sensitivity is the sound pressure level measured at 1m when 1w of power is supplied. Higher means better efficiency. Perhaps OP meant to say there is less distortion, because sometimes lower sensitivity is matched with lower distortion, although not necessarily.

The infinity kappa series is very good, and what I used in my last car. It is worth noting you can get speakers for much, much cheaper than crutchfield. The markup is sometimes up to 100% more than other vendors.

Very cool install though, that is very stealth. Do you have more photos to share?
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
wgilles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91264
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 wgilles Good Standing Member
Very nice, I will be looking to do something similar to this. I wasn't aware of a product like the power pack, I'm happy I am now! Thanks.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
That little power pack amp looks like just the ticket....
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
That little power pack amp looks like just the ticket....
for sure, nice fit right below the HU
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 05-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
Orion1222
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114112
What I Drive: 2013 Silver Ingot Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Orion1222 Good Standing Member
You have acquired my interest sir. You say you didn't want to run 12v cable through the firewall to an amp, so I'm assuming this amp does not need that kind of connection? Well I will be waiting for your install write-up. Good work.

Live Long and Prosper!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #10
atahmission
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion1222 View Post
You have acquired my interest sir. You say you didn't want to run 12v cable through the firewall to an amp, so I'm assuming this amp does not need that kind of connection? Well I will be waiting for your install write-up. Good work.
Right you are. The amp is powered off the power connection for the standard head unit. It's minimal draw, and requires only that you splice into said power line. Splicing into the speaker wires can be a pain of course, but on the whole it was an easy installation. While there's no doubt that she sings, I'm pretty much convinced I'll need a signal processor to really get the most from the system. It's a massive improvement, but it's hard not to notice the "bass roll-off" that happens due to the DSP.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->