Issue with oil in the charge piping. - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Schroeder02

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVT & 2007 Red ST

FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Issue with oil in the charge piping.

Today I discovered oil in the charge piping before the intercooler, the oil however the oil has not made it into all the way to the MAF tube. I discovered the oil when I happened to blow the piping off the intercooler.

Figure Iíll give a little history of the past few weeks. Three to four weeks ago I switched over from an older precision GT3071 turbo to a precision 5130, the GT30 went bad hence the reason for the new turbo. I installed the new turbo about and got the car back up and ruining I did a track day 2 weeks ago, the car hasnít been totally sorted out and that was the second time on track, the car ran well but I was only ruining 10psi of boost on my tune for 14psi to keep things safe and Iím still felling the car out. I did find a few tweaks I need to make the car as I expected. One issue was how the charge piping was routed. Last week I pulled the piping and made some modification when I pilled the piping I saw no indication of any oil in the pipe. I also had a slight oil leak in one of the AN lines to my remote oil filter and oil cooler, which I may or may not have fixed. I also did an oil change at this time I switched form a conventional5-30 oil to Mobil 1 5-30, the only reason I have conventional oil in the car was because I had been flushing the mother out due to the other turbo going bad and I had passed shavings though the oil pump. Yes the prudent think would have probably been to pull the motor and have it check out but honestly at this point Iím taped out on the build.

Yesterday I took the car to have it retuned, we stared out at 10 psi then 14 all was going well but I was down a few hp but thatís not a big deal, we then went for a 17psi pull and as suspected the clutch slipped, thatís a problem for another day.

Now for my question why could I be getting oil in the charge piping, and why this week and not when I beat the crap out of the car for 40 min on track. Is it the synthetic oil, and two much oil pressure? Could I have hurt the turbo again?

Also as info I have an AN 10 drain line so I donít see that as being a restriction.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
02_z_x_3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53977
What I Drive: 02 zx3

FF Reputation: 9 02_z_x_3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Do you run an oil restrictor? Oil in the charge piping usually means bad seals in the turbo. Too much oil will do that. If I remember right a journal bearing turbo needs a .065 restrictor and a ball bearing needs a .035 restrictor.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Schroeder02

yes I'm running a .035 restrictor however my motor is probably running better then stock oil pressure. I typically see 80psi at cold start up. What I don’t get is way did I not have oil in the pipe last week when I had it apart would synthetic make that much difference.

I can get a .032 restrictor for the turbo

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
redsleeper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32763
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3T

FF Reputation: 2 redsleeper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Maybe you can try with a thicker oil, 10w-40 or 15w-50 both synthetic
Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
02_z_x_3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53977
What I Drive: 02 zx3

FF Reputation: 9 02_z_x_3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I wouldn't think synthetic would make that big of a difference. try the 10w-40 with it getting warmer out
Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
5-30 in my opinion is way to light of an oil for turbo let alone turbo track use

Things that could cause this
To much oil psi
To thin of oil ( do not feel 5-30 would get past seals with things right )
High EGT meaning AF not right or to much or to little timing
Bad oil seals in turbo

If you want to send me a datalog of a 5 min cruise and a WOT 3rd gear 2-6000 I will be glad to tell you if I see anything

How much oil are we talking , film or would it dril out if you tried ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 05-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
Schroeder02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
5-30 in my opinion is way to light of an oil for turbo let alone turbo track use

Things that could cause this
To much oil psi
To thin of oil ( do not feel 5-30 would get past seals with things right )
High EGT meaning AF not right or to much or to little timing
Bad oil seals in turbo

If you want to send me a datalog of a 5 min cruise and a WOT 3rd gear 2-6000 I will be glad to tell you if I see anything

How much oil are we talking , film or would it dril out if you tried ?

Tom
Itís enough oil that it dripped out of the pipe, also the timing is pretty conservative I believe it was at 16 or 17deg.

Also this is a built low compression motor with billet oil pump gears

The tune was fat when it was on track and I didnít have any issue with oil in the intercooler. The only things that change form when I had it on track was a new tune, different brand oil and more boost.

I can't so how any of them would cause this issue that what baffling me

Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
With out seeing a datalog I couldnt answer if it could be timing or fuel realted but both play a hugh role in the EGT even to little of timing

Dripping out oil is to much , you have a restrictor ? what size oil feed line ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 05-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
paulg127
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55998
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 paulg127 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Tom,
What weight do you usually run in a turbo application?
Ever have any VCT interaction issues with higher weight oils?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Schroeder02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
With out seeing a datalog I couldnt answer if it could be timing or fuel realted but both play a hugh role in the EGT even to little of timing

Dripping out oil is to much , you have a restrictor ? what size oil feed line ?

Tom
its has a an4 feed line with .035" restrictor, I typically see EGT at 1200 on Cilinder 3, I dont have the dyno print out but the car was running in the A/F in the 11's Ray did the tuning so I trust the tune. We have spent 6 hours really dialing the tune in.

I'm could the oil pump is just runing to much pressure and the seal finlly went on the turbo.

Bookmarks & Social Networks