A/C does not start up when on auto.... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
tdo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2591
What I Drive: '13 Focus Sedan TI Performance Blue

FF Reputation: 1 tdo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question A/C does not start up when on auto....

right away that is.

When I start the car and have the Climate on Auto, and its warm in the car, the a/c still takes 15 to 30 seconds to start blowing air. NOT cold air, ANY air.

And then if it is warm inside, it does not increase the fan speed, or lower the speed when it cools down.

If it is warm inside, I have to push the max air to get it come on right away.

Conversely, my 2008 F350 immediately starts blowing cold air on high speed with a very warm interior truck temp, and automatically adjusts fan speed down when it cools down inside.

Is this normal for the Focus?

Is the fan speed NOT controlled in auto setting (or am I missing something in the set up, I just push auto)?

Other than this, the car has been very good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
I do believe there is a setting for this, but you'll have to read the manual, as I don't recall how you set it. I think there is a delay after starting the car for the motor to settle in or something like that before to compressor will kick in and activate the blower. It's a much lower horsepower motor than your truck so it needs to be running for a bit before the added load of the compressor kicks in.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
sekazi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114026
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Ti Tux. Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sekazi Good Standing Member
This is how Auto works in any vehicle I have ever used it in. I am in Florida and if the AC decided to blow right after the car started I would get a car full of hot air. It waits until it is able to blow cold air before blowing it. The same thing with hot air. It waits for the hot air then blows. If you adjust the fan speed auto will be turned off so you have to turn auto back on for the fan speed to adjust automatically.

The fans usually never will blow max. It also usually will use the floor more than the upper vents.

My previous car was a Mazda 6 and worked identically.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekazi View Post
This is how Auto works in any vehicle I have ever used it in. I am in Florida and if the AC decided to blow right after the car started I would get a car full of hot air. It waits until it is able to blow cold air before blowing it. The same thing with hot air. It waits for the hot air then blows. If you adjust the fan speed auto will be turned off so you have to turn auto back on for the fan speed to adjust automatically.

The fans usually never will blow max. It also usually will use the floor more than the upper vents.

My previous car was a Mazda 6 and worked identically.
This..

The Escape's auto climate works the same way. Instead of blowing the air out at temps you likely don't want, it waits till it can produce cold or hot air before blowing it on you. If you want the fan to blow max anyway, set it on full low or full high.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
So far, my experience is a little different, don't know if it will help.

Set Temp: 68 F - Automatic Mode - Dual Zone (both set the same)
Got in car, outside temp 75 F
A/C kicked in, I shut it off manually - Display still says Auto.
Now, A/C never kicks in but fans came on at full one day and I manually set it lower.
Now, Fan never goes above that.

It always says it's in Auto but it seems to have my settings overriding the Automatic program.
I suspect that this is a manual override/limit but I haven't yet tried to defeat it.

Maybe tomorrow I will try it but I have several other things to look at and do.

I haven't seen anything posted here about it yet but there are several 'quirks' that I am experiencing that haven't been posted yet - i.e about 2 or 3 minutes after starting my volume drops and then recovers, I asked but nobody seems to be having the same issue, it repeats but I haven't timed it yet for interval.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
[RANT]
Why do manual settings for the climate control (While in Auto Mode) stick while it can't keep the backup camera settings just from shifting into reverse?
[/RANT]
Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
tdo
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. I plan to use the remote start more to give it a chance to get the air going before I have to get in.

I will test out the auto feature, and see if it will adjust the fan speed automatically, by turning it off then on auto, and leave the controls alone.

Oh, and Rogerschro, got any pictures of the 67 Galaxie? It's my favorite year. I have a 67 Country Sedan.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
sekazi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114026
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Ti Tux. Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sekazi Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandT View Post
[RANT]
Why do manual settings for the climate control (While in Auto Mode) stick while it can't keep the backup camera settings just from shifting into reverse?
[/RANT]
Dual Zone maybe the cause of the problem. Turn it off and see how it goes. I almost never use the dual zone.

As for the remote start feature when I have used it the blower was on Max when I got in. The AC also switched from 75 to LO. As soon as I started the car the blower turned down and switched to the floors and the temp went back to 75.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdo View Post
Thanks for the input. I plan to use the remote start more to give it a chance to get the air going before I have to get in.

I will test out the auto feature, and see if it will adjust the fan speed automatically, by turning it off then on auto, and leave the controls alone...
Hi tdo,

Keep us posted on how things go with your Focus. If you need me to assist, just send me a note via PM. :)

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
tdo
Focus Enthusiast

A good day. It got up to the upper 80's, the car was sitting in the sun (sun shield in windshield). Started the car by remote and after a couple minutes went to get in.

I had set the climate to auto this morning. When I opened the door this afternoon, the A/C was on and blowing hard. All on auto. All by itself.

As I drove it the fan speed adjusted depending on the temp inside, up, down, up, down. Excellent. Just what I wanted it to do.

Still a very happy owner. Very glad I don't have to take it in.

Bookmarks & Social Networks