51psi? - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #31
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicedz View Post
Very glad I opened this topic up, tons of good information. I've decided to try 42psi front and 38 rear based on everything I've read. With the possibility of increasing that for longer trips?
Glad you were able to learn something, I hope a lot of people learned something. That being your range of pressure is from a minimum of the door jam number up to the maximum number on the sidewall of the tire. As long as you are in that range you have nothing to worry about. This range gives the individual driver the ability to tailor the ride to their needs, balancing between ride comfort and cornering characteristics. It is just that simple.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #32
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

Points 9,301, Level 64
Points: 9,301, Level: 64 Points: 9,301, Level: 64 Points: 9,301, Level: 64
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Nice discussion!

Had to "Jump In" to respond to this one.

The one thing you DON'T want to do, is reduce tire pressure to "normal cold" readings when it has INCREASED due to heat from driving. This causes under inflation, as you'll note once they cool down and are under the recommended value.

Also, the "cold" 51 would be "safe" if that's the max printed on the tire, but it would be quite uncomfortable. Leaves no room for front to rear difference to improve handling while remaining within the recommended zone as well.

Other notes:

Max. inflation pressure was once explained to me by a Dunlop rep. as the pressure used to inflate the tire during the molding process. This corresponds to the max. load capacity pressure, and the "shape" of the tire should be normal at this value.

Increased pressure (by approx 5 psi. over "sticker" recommendation) is often suggested in owner's manuals for "extended high speed driving". This reduces increase in pressure from heat buildup, and improves handling.

"Sticker" pressure is a compromise, as prev. noted, and is related to the actual maximum recommended load (vehicle & passengers, etc.). You'll see a note as to vehicle load capacity (cargo, passengers) on that sticker.

Pressure differential, front to rear, is used to adjust handling. Higher pressures give greater cornering traction, and with the vast majority of cars being "tuned" for understeer from the factory using a bit more in the front evens things out a bit.

As to those Explorers, I've seen MANY tooling down the Hwy at 80 or more, with what looks to be about 15 psi in the rear.... Need I say more?

Cheers!
No I was referring to the blowouts in general. If you research more you'll find that a combo of the tire plys construction quality and low pressures caused the blowouts. It also caused problems with trucks and other suvs and was not limited to Ford or Firestone tires. Several years ago Cooper recalled 250000 tires on Ford trucks and sold in tire stores.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #33
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

What really ticks me off...

...is people that work in the tire, oil change, and dealer maintenance industry are clueless when it comes to the range of acceptable tire pressures for a given tire and car. They are always doing me a favor and letting the air out of my tires. F#%^ing idiots. It was refreshing when I took my Silverado back to Costco to get a top off on the nitrogen, and the tech asked me what pressure I wanted, I told him 45, he looked at the max psi number of 50 on the tire's sidewall, programed his nitrogen inflation machine and did the job. He did not look at the door jamb number of 35 and try to explain to me how I was grossly over-inflating my tires. The OEM's on my '03 Silverado had a max psi of 44, I had ordered the same tires albeit newer as the OEM's from Costco, so as time and technology progress the door jamb number becomes more and more irrelevant. Kudos to Costco, I think they get it.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #34
qweesy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12042
What I Drive: 2004 focus Duratec 2.3 RS (DEAD)

Points 3,076, Level 34
Points: 3,076, Level: 34 Points: 3,076, Level: 34 Points: 3,076, Level: 34
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 4 qweesy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
On the SVT 215/45/17 I keep at Factory settings 32 F & 29 R I get 30 MPG
Old 05-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #35
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 10,861, Level 69
Points: 10,861, Level: 69 Points: 10,861, Level: 69 Points: 10,861, Level: 69
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 72 sailor Excellent Standing Member
bringler26 - wasn't really trying to debate the Explorer debacle, it's a multi-faceted bleep-up (grin)

First big tire recall I remember was the Firestone "621's" , and that was roughly 40 yrs. ago - still an issue today.

Driving fast on flat tires is hardly limited to Explorers, see it all the time! I was just remembering how MANY of those I saw on the road at the time the issue was in the news. It was as if people were TRYING to have an issue, just to collect on it! I know it was just "normal stupidity", never quite get used to how much of that is around...

Cheers!

S.R. #275
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #36
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

Points 9,301, Level 64
Points: 9,301, Level: 64 Points: 9,301, Level: 64 Points: 9,301, Level: 64
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
bringler26 - wasn't really trying to debate the Explorer debacle, it's a multi-faceted bleep-up (grin)

First big tire recall I remember was the Firestone "621's" , and that was roughly 40 yrs. ago - still an issue today.

Driving fast on flat tires is hardly limited to Explorers, see it all the time! I was just remembering how MANY of those I saw on the road at the time the issue was in the news. It was as if people were TRYING to have an issue, just to collect on it! I know it was just "normal stupidity", never quite get used to how much of that is around...

Cheers!
Haha yeah very true. I kind of did some speed reading on my phone and read into it differently.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #37
canadianlarry
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102604
What I Drive: 2012 sterling grey 5spd se

Points 229, Level 4
Points: 229, Level: 4 Points: 229, Level: 4 Points: 229, Level: 4
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 canadianlarry Good Standing Member
I love reading threads where people can't bring themselves to follow one simple instruction. They can't use the recommended oils, because they won't be told what to do. Now it's tire pressure.

The maximum pressure on the side wall is not meant for the car that it is on right now. Do you think that the tire manufacturers know what car the tire will end up on? Barring vehicle specific oddball sizes which does happen, it covers all possible scenarios. The same tire may go on a 2000lb subcompact or an over 4000lb full size. The pressure will vary but the tire must handle any situation.

Full size heavy duty vans often run 50 psi front, 80 psi rear. Right there on the door jam are the numbers. The regular vans have 35 or 38 front and rear. But all the tires will say 80 is the max for the tire, not the application.

Lower the pressure if you want a softer ride but worse handling. Increase the rear slightly if you have a full load of people and a full trunk. The recommended pressure is the best for that car.

This is not rocket science. You can follow some rules if you try. it is not a conspiracy to ruin your fun.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #38
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

Points 2,744, Level 31
Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Race car- COLD 48psi front and COLD 26 psi rear.

Best place for tire information is from the manufacturer's website or the instruction packet that comes with your new tires.
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers
Old 05-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #39
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianlarry View Post
I love reading threads where people can't bring themselves to follow one simple instruction.
Me too. Isn't it informative and educational.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #40
canadianlarry
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102604
What I Drive: 2012 sterling grey 5spd se

Points 229, Level 4
Points: 229, Level: 4 Points: 229, Level: 4 Points: 229, Level: 4
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 canadianlarry Good Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.