51psi? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It is true going up to the max cold PSi rated for the tire is not a good idea.

IMO the tire pressure on the car door is all about compromise.
Ride quality, wear, and safety.

Ride quality is a biggie in the equation. Lower than optimum tire pressures for handling are great for ride comfort.

I really have to laugh at the idea some guy claims he sees 'overinflation' problems all the time. BS. I call BS.
90% of the time tires are underinflated. And the few folks who bother to raise the PSI ARE paying attention to thier tires.

My Focus is supposed to be at 35psi. I keep the rear ar 40 PSi and front at 45psi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
To me the door jam number is a bottom number not to go below, because it is so close to being under inflated anything less would be dangerous.
Sometimes, but not always. My 91H rated factory tires are good to carry 595kg each at the 240kPa/35psi door sticker. The maximum front gross axle load according to my label is 940kg, So there an extra 125kg of reserve per tire when the car is loaded to its max.

That being said, it is a very good idea to follow the sticker, at minimum, as it represents an optimum of the tradeoffs as deemed by the manufacturer.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
Creative
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108024
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Creative Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I recomend 40-45 psi but I autoX and honestly don't care about my tires duration that much.

As the old saying goes, you have to pay to play.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
I usually run 3-4 PSI more depending on the tire. I notice with some that they are under inflated with a super soft sidewall. I like a little bit firmer ride as well so the small bump firms it slightly. Never had wear issues.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
It is pretty simple. Don't go below the number in the door jam and don't go over the max psi number on the tire. Anywhere in between and you will be ok. Don't let anyone make you fear running 40psi or even 48psi. The ride comfort will be better near 35 but it will suck for aggressive cornering. Set your inflation in accordance with how you drive and what you want from the tire.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicedz View Post
I didn't set it there but what I observed On the tire. I set it slightly over 40 psi. Temps get hot in Florida so I worried about the increase in pressure from heat. Sounds like I should take it a little lower though.
Exactly, psi increases 1 lb for every 10 degree rise in temp. Lets say you set your pressure today at 41 psi and the temp is 70, you drive and the tire heats up 30 degrees and now your at 43, in a week the temp is 90, the road is hotter and you tire heats up 40 degrees, now add 6 more psi and your rolling psi is at 47. Like what's already been said, the trade off for 1-2 mpg's isn't worth early tire replacement or a possible blow out. People with big brains and smart calculators have designed and determined the tire should be inflated to 35psi for safe, efficient and long life, I stick with the recommended pressure on the door sticker.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #17
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012silversel View Post
Exactly, psi increases 1 lb for every 10 degree rise in temp. Lets say you set your pressure today at 41 psi and the temp is 70, you drive and the tire heats up 30 degrees and now your at 43, in a week the temp is 90, the road is hotter and you tire heats up 40 degrees, now add 6 more psi and your rolling psi is at 47. Like what's already been said, the trade off for 1-2 mpg's isn't worth early tire replacement or a possible blow out. People with big brains and smart calculators have designed and determined the tire should be inflated to 35psi for safe, efficient and long life, I stick with the recommended pressure on the door sticker.
Does the explorer ring a bell Ford originally said to only inflate to 29psi against Firestone's recommendation and had blow out problems. Not every tire is the same so some may be better with a little more or less. 35psi works great for the factory equipment. It is really a combination of preference and safety.

In general(just as discussion really) Over and under inflation can both cause blowouts. Under inflation can over heat the plys and cause separation.
I always moderate naked!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #18
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Unless RACECAR, I would keep it close to recommended pressures.

High pressures are nice for better "feel" from the tires in terms of "dynamic driving" and such, but it also makes you feel every pebble in the road that much more, and can increase chance of punctures.

I typically put mine a few PSI above recommended by the manufacture. With my newer (lower profile) tires I do inflate them a few more above that. Anything more and it's like riding on steel rollers.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 05-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
bringler26
FUBARCUS

I went to an autox and bumped my pressures about 10 psi higher than normal and I forgot to drop them to normal after and man did it ride rough took me a while to figure out why small cracks felt like mountains.
I always moderate naked!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #20
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Here is a link to an article by someone who may have some knowledge of tires and psi's. Some good info, backing up and debunking some of what has been said here.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...unked-10031440

Bookmarks & Social Networks