Repro ST3 Projector Headlights (review and write-up) - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #21
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Fan#: 110359
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 dbsimms63 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhadan1205 View Post

I think these are what you bought. So do not cut off the yellow wire, use the red wire to connect with the yellow wire! that is important. Also, use the ballasts that were come with the packet, they function not only as a ballasts but also as a module I believe.
I know jdubhack said he didn't get a wire with the weird connector on it for his yellow line, that's why he just cut off the connector and wired it directly to a switched 12v source so he could use the LED's as DRL's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #22
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Repro ST3 Projector Headlights (review and write-up)

Everyone is making some wild assumptions and conclusions without any sound reasoning.

Half of what is being said is false.

I'm sitting outside of a courtroom and cannot address the questions or conclusions being made.

When I get home, rest assured, you will get the CORRECT answers to your questions instead of conjecture.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #23
zhadan1205
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103111
What I Drive: 2012 silvery focus

FF Reputation: 0 zhadan1205 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
There is a few version of 2012 and up Focus HID on aliexpress.com and etc. I recently seen a Audi inspired set that has the LED brow on the bottom and dual projectors for highs and lows.

If there is a brand name associated with these, people should start labeling these as such. I only know of Winpower and KACO so far, Winpower have the Angel Eye on the projector.

Buying these from China is like a box of chocolates.....
I checked, mine and his are the same. The manufacturer just changed a little bit on the red wire to make it easier for people to install.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #24
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
Very cool, and useful.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
RAF_S197
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91991
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford white Sport Black Pack

FF Reputation: 21 RAF_S197 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Great write up, thanks!
Can you post a link to where you purchased the headlights please?
Thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #26
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF_S197 View Post
Great write up, thanks!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
Justin has been testing these for SMC, we hope to have a Group Buy up soon
So SMC will be selling them soon.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #27
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

My responses will be in orange (FTW) within your qoute for easier reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliky View Post
This.

Also, nice write up man! Very detailed... Got two questions though I didn't see covered (And if I missed it sorry!)

1. The inner mist light that came with a bulb and had the green wire that was cut... Could that be wired up to actually work as a parking light?

It was cut from the manufacturer. Yes, I do believe that it could be wired to work the parking lights, and easily at that.

2. The bottom most light where the Turn signal is on the OEM lights... Does that have a bulb and connector and function as a front turn signal light? I see the reflector is clear and it has a little yellow behind it which makes me thing there is a bulb there... Does that work?

That is indeed the front turn signal. It came with the standard amber bulb. Yes, it works.

Now my big debate is do I get these or send my headlights out for two weeks to be professionally retrofitted....

Oh.. also, when you hit the high beam is there a thing that flips up in the low beams or does the high beam light just come on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Do you have a rough cost for this yet?

Also, is it possible to wire the LEDs to be true DRL, where they turn off if the headlights are on? I'd just assume they don't light up when the actual headlights are illuminated.

They are true DRL. They dim when the headlights are on. Full brightness= no headlights and probably 50%= headlights on.

Compared to the stock headlights, what is your opinion on the materials used for the lenses, housings, rubber caps, etc.? Does it feel like same/very similar material?

Quite honestly, better than OEM. I'm a straight shooter. The housing seems thicker (plastic) all the rubber plugs are just as thick and fit just as well as my OEM covers do.

Also, did the lights come with everything like the ballasts and resistors?

No. I did not want their ballasts or HID kit. I ordered mine from an HID company in CT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsimms63 View Post
Did you get those from the same manufacturer as zhadan1205? He got his inner most light to function.

No, I did not. Two different companies.
Quote:
emmm, your headlights are a little different from mine....maybe yours is from a different manufacturer .

Nope, different company, and I presume differnt manufacturer. Or at least a different end company.

April 2013 HOTM
Old 05-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #28
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Quote:
I did not cut off any wires, just connects all the part together, no needs to cut any stuff. For LED light, use the red wire that comes with the package to connect the #14 hole on your headlights dock on each side with the 25A in fuse box, than it is done~ Only took me like 15 mins.

P.S. when you turn on the lights with the new headlight housing for the first time, it would take up to 5 mins for the car to recognize them.
My lights did not come with the wire as Zhadan's did. I cut that connector off because, as it stood, it was useless. I did not connect the wire to the #14 slot on the headlight harness as that would be tapping directly into the car's wiring.

I don' think there is a need to tap into the factory harness. Simply run some wire, as I've done and showed, to the fuse box for properly working DRLs.

My headlights too ZERO time to work. Plug-n-play with the exception of the DRL wiring, which isn't necessary.

Quote:
I know jdubhack said he didn't get a wire with the weird connector on it for his yellow line, that's why he just cut off the connector and wired it directly to a switched 12v source so he could use the LED's as DRL's.
Yes, sir.

Quote:
I checked, mine and his are the same. The manufacturer just changed a little bit on the red wire to make it easier for people to install.
I'm not sure how you would have determined this. Not saying that isn't the case, but I did not chose to use the same vendor as you. It's a possibility, but there is no way of conclusively proving they are or are not.

April 2013 HOTM
Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #29
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF_S197 View Post
Great write up, thanks!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
So SMC will be selling them soon.
SMC (Spin Move Customs) has secured the vendor that I purchased the headlights from. I was the Guinea pig for them and these headlights.

They will be releasing the availability and pricing of the headlights soon. Hang tight!

April 2013 HOTM
Old 05-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #30
zhadan1205
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103111
What I Drive: 2012 silvery focus

FF Reputation: 0 zhadan1205 Newbie
Quote:
Did you get those from the same manufacturer as zhadan1205? He got his inner most light to function.
I believe that the manufacturer is the same, just different retailers. And apparently the manufacturer has changed a little bit on the housing to make sure it could be installed as easy as possible. Now it is truly plug-n-play. I used the ballasts set from the manufacturer and according to what I had read that ballast also function as a decoder to make sure the signal from the car will enable the right light of the housing.

Bookmarks & Social Networks