Endless Brakes - hot or not? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
aernan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105907
What I Drive: 2013 performance blue ST3

FF Reputation: 1 aernan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Endless Brakes - hot or not?

http://www.endless-brake.info/index....167&Itemid=195

My friend has VW GTI and is looking to upgrade his brakes. I have used EBC on my Range Rover and like them a bunch. I have not hit brake fade on the ST yet.

Does anyone have any options about endless brakes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
If he does change to these kinds of rotors he will have to watch his pad wear as it goes along. Once you etch these rotors they can not be turned and will not seat properly with a new set of pads. So in turn he would have to spend more money on new rotors as well. But then again, it's his money and his choice. Just not the way I would want to go.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
aernan
Focus Enthusiast

So are the pads designed to wear out at the same time as the rotors? With my dimpled EBC rotors I could go through a couple sets of EBC green pads (offroad and mountain roads)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Every time you change your brake pads you should always have your rotors turned/replaced so the pads have a clean surface to seat themselves. Brake pads aren't effective when you have grooves notched into your rotor. Plus there really isn't any reason to have dimpled and grooved rotors anyways. You never approach high enough speeds in order to benefit from them. I have always ran just regular blank rotors with a good quality brake pad and never had any trouble.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
aernan
Focus Enthusiast

I've not had the same experiences. I've talked with tire shops and dealerships and they say that turning the rotors is only necessary if you have significant grooves in the rotor. Consequently I have never had a set turned. If they were damaged I just replaced them.

With regards to slots vs cross drilling vs dimples: On my Range Rover which is a pig at 5600 lbs before I add my stuff to the truck it's heavy. Using the stock rotors and pads the truck stops ok with it's massive pump assisted breaking. I upgraded the stock pads to EBC Green pads which are known for braking well when cold/wet and are excellent for off road driving and noticed a major improvement in the break pedel feel as well as a shorter stopping distance. I then upgraded the rotors to EBC rotors which had dimples and noticed a significantly shorter stopping distance.

From my research this is what I learned. The crossdrilled rotors were initially introduced for racing to reduce break fade. In offroad situations where you encounter mud the holes get filled with mud and rocks quickly making the cross drilling useless. The dimples are the evolution from that. I think it also helps wipe the dust from the pad off the rotor surface.

For reference my mountain bike and my motorcycle also have drilled disk brakes. So I'm assuming due to it's widespread adoption that it actually improves braking.

With regards to need for this feature. I have managed to get brake fade on my Rover with both the stock and the dimpled rotors while driving downhill aggressively. I have been in the car when my friend got brake fade in the GTI. We were going down a mountain pass and he was driving aggressively. So for me personally anything I can do to improve braking on any of my vehicles I do it because it improves safety greatly. If you have never experienced brake fade then the increased cost is probably not warranted.

That said I have never had brake fade in the ST but my driving style has gotten much smoother and I generally brake traction due to lateral G forces more often then using heavy braking to control my descent.

I don't think I will be upgrading the brakes in the ST right now because I have not had any problems with them yet. For my friends GTI I think a brake upgrade is a very good idea because I have heard of other owners complain about brake fade as well.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Just to add, w/ dimpled rotors the brake dust fills the dimples. What is the pupose of the dimple's? Looks? ebc is the only rotors that I know of that has dimpled rotors.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 04-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
aernan
Focus Enthusiast

on my EBC rotors the dimples stay clean. I can't say about those long slots but if it's just brake dust it probably would do a good job of wiping and cleaning the dust off.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aernan View Post
on my EBC rotors the dimples stay clean. I can't say about those long slots but if it's just brake dust it probably would do a good job of wiping and cleaning the dust off.
Yeah, it'll do some, but the slots really do a lot more, as they fling the dust out.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
FWIW - the holes in the Cycle rotors started out (and remain) as primarily a tool to get quicker braking in the rain. (Mud & water off-road)

You don't know what "pucker power' really is until you grab a handful of brake & nothing happens!

This was a LOT bigger issue when "organic" pads were in use, semi & full metallic pads on cycles really helped. ("full metallic" is common in off road applications)

I'll tell ya, first rain ride on my brand new Yamaha XS 650 (1982, the vertical twin) - Grabbed the brakes & NOTHING! Wait a bit, then FINALLY some braking - not a good thing.

"Fade" from disc brakes in an automotive application is another story. Basically they're getting over worked, too hot for the pad compound being used. Larger brakes and/or a different pad is the only real solution IMHO.

Cheers!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
aernan
Focus Enthusiast

of the brake pads and rotors you have use which brands do you like the most?

Bookmarks & Social Networks