Broken Timing Belt on my SVT - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
SVT3404
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92086
What I Drive: 04 Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 SVT3404 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
After calling around I could not find a garage or machine shop in the Richmond area comfortable with rebuilding this engine. They all told me to drop a used motor in, and deal with it. I just can't live with that option. I called Tom from Focus Power and he gave me a ball park figure to rebuild the engine of 2/5th -3/5th of what the Ford dealer wants, to drop a used motor in with a limited warranty. Needless to say I am seriously considering taking the car down to Focus-Power and have Tom do a rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #22
jworason
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 71085
What I Drive: 2000 Lightning/2003 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jworason Good Standing Member
timing belt

Wow, this just happened to my daughters car and bent all valves. I am looking into aftermarket heads, which lead me to here. I have seen some good pricing on heads on Ebay but honestly don't know which one I am suppose to buy. I can't picture the pistons being bad, but you never know. If the lower end is good and I can pick up a rebuilt head (which one?) I will def do the work myself.

I know the engine code is a 5 for the SVT's but EXACTLY which head am I looking for? Can anyone help please?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #23
jworason
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jworason View Post
wow, this just happened to my daughters car and bent all valves. I am looking into aftermarket heads, which lead me to here. I have seen some good pricing on heads on ebay but honestly don't know which one i am suppose to buy. I can't picture the pistons being bad, but you never know. If the lower end is good and i can pick up a rebuilt head (which one?) i will def do the work myself.

I know the engine code is a 5 for the svt's but exactly which head am i looking for? Can anyone help please?
any help would be appreciated!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #24
Chris_HT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86229
What I Drive: Blue SVT 2002

FF Reputation: 4 Chris_HT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
you're looking for SVT head, I don't know what exactly you want to ask

Our Lady of blessed acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&Tan View Post
But.... why read facts and investigate a claim when it supports your ideology?
...that should be written as 'The First Law of Internet Forums'
Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
ukfan50
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91208
What I Drive: 2002 SB SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 ukfan50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT3404 View Post
So, I just got off the phone with the Ford Tech and he is saying it'll be $5,400 to drop in a used motor with 80,000 miles on it and 1 year warranty. Does anyone know rough figures for an engine rebuild, off the top of their head, or should I just part ways with the car? I'm willing to spend a decent chunk of change for the car, I love it, but $5,400 is a bit steep for me.

Thanks
To OP (SVT3404)... I'm truly sorry to hear the situation, you’re not alone and don't feel too bad because I'm in the exact same boat. Thought I'd share my story with you. 2002 SVTF with 112K miles. Purchased 10/15/11 with 92K miles.

On Sat 4/16 I was on my way home from a funeral on the west side of Indy as I live on the southside. As soon as it was over I pull onto W Washington to get on 465 & make the 25 minute trip home only when I pulled onto the road & started to accelerate it was like the car fell on it's face & would not rev, hardly go, acted like it wasn't getting fuel? No CEL, no noises but the weird thing was every time I would cycle the key off & on, it would start right back up and drive normal until I would get to a higher gear and a couple seconds later it would go back to acting up. So needless to say I limped it home.

Used one of my free AAA tows & had it towed to my fathers Ford Dealership (not his but where he's the Service Director). This is where I have all maintenance & repairs done to my car. He was short staffed on Service Writers and Technician that week, so the following Friday he had his best tech take a look and it wasn't good news but I already knew it! The inside of the timing belt had broken off like 5-6 grooves & it had slipped time, wasn't broke, no tensioners/pulleys had seized up, but the damage was done as all of the valves were shot & inter 2 pistons completely F'd up and outer 2 pistons were toast as well, just not as bad as the inner 2. I'll post a pic once I get it from the Tech...

I started shopping around for a motor and found one from www.SWEngines.com anyone heard of or had any experiences with this company? (I am in not affiliated nor promoting the company, was just the best overall value I found) They are out of OK, I called last week and the lady said my engine is shipping out of WI and it takes 7-10 business days to ship from date purchased (4/25). Carfax documented 48K miles, free shipping and free 3 year/36K mile warranty for $2250. After negotiating, I ordered the motor for $2,000 with the free shipping & 3 year/36K mile warranty. Motor is complete except for accessories, headers, and all brand new CFM street HFC, CFM flex pipe & MagnaFlow CBE with 2nd resonator. Also have a brand new timing belt kit, water pump, thermostat housing & thermostat, valve cover gasket, plugs and wires. and ANYTHING else it might needs along the way. Everything will all be installed onto the new motor before it's put in my car. So all in all once I have my SVTF back I'll have roughly $2500+/- in it, but a like new very low mileage engine.

So, after I get my car back which will hopefully be in less than 2 weeks (just taking forever to get the motor shipped 7-14 business days) I plan on keeping it for a long time because everything else is in great shape. In about a year I plan on buying a Focus ST or an 06 Subie WRX STI. At that point I will modify the focus to where it is still street legal and turn it into my weekend racer doing AutoX's and some road racing at some local & semi-local tracks.

I purchased it from a car lot in Bloomington, IN and before I would buy it I told the salesman I wanted a printed out Carfax or I will not buy it. Carfax was clean, no wrecks, multiple services had been done and what makes me the most mad is the Timing Belt had been replaced at 66K miles and I was getting ready to order the Gates TB kit the week after it had broke down.

TO SVT3404-Good luck with everything, trust me I know how you feel. This company I ordered my engine from said they have 1 more SVT engine available if you haven't already pulled the trigger and bought something else. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.
-2002 Sonic Blue SVT Focus; #1200 (Purchased 10/2011)
-2000 T-Red SVT Contour; #1089 of #2150 (Sold 10/2011)
-1998 BDP Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (OEM gold wheels) #1595 of #1695 (Sold 1/2010)

Last edited by ukfan50; 05-05-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
jworason
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_HT View Post
you're looking for SVT head, I don't know what exactly you want to ask
There are 4 different engines for Focus' for that year, I am looking for the serial/part number for the head. I will be pulling the old one off so I will see it then, but if anyone knows it would be great!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #27
qweesy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12042
What I Drive: 2004 focus Duratec 2.3 RS (DEAD)

FF Reputation: 2 qweesy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Its a VCT Intake zetec head..... There was only one for the SVT
Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #28
robs02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84572
What I Drive: 02 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 robs02 Good Standing Member
To the OP. Pull the head. It should already be off since the Ford "tech" already knows you have a bad piston. Take a look at the piston and cylinder. Can the engine be rotated by hand? I just rebuilt the head. Cleaned some carbon off of the pistons and put it back together with a new belt and pulley. And no CEL light! Woo hoo. And, I don't know why anyone should be comfortable rebuilding the engine? It's just like any other engine. If you have another vehicle to drive, do it all yourself. You will save a ton of money, and have the satisfaction knowing that you did it yourself. The most difficult thing will be getting the tranny out. I've had mine out 2 times, a real PITA. It's a real bummer this happened to you. It sucks, I know. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #29
s0B0Ta
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109940
What I Drive: 02 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 s0B0Ta Good Standing Member
i agree with robs, i bought a SVT with snapped timing belt and took the head off, not a pretty scene, all intake valves broken off and 3 pistons with holes, but hey, i was able to acquire used pistons from this forum and a head with valves. All for under $500.

I say you put some latex gloves on and take off the head to see what you're dealing with. The Ford tech will always want you to replace it because its after warranty so more $$$ to them.

2 options: Either you drop in a 'good' SVT engine or you inspect what you have now and calculate which is cheaper. Parts you can always get on here.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #30
SVTisRight4me
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105772
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVTF 3 door#1009 in 2004

FF Reputation: 1 SVTisRight4me Good Standing Member
how many miles did it break at?

Bookmarks & Social Networks