Too late for Trans flush? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Johnnystaff
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95484
What I Drive: 2010 mint green focus se

FF Reputation: 1 Johnnystaff Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Too late for Trans flush?

I have a 2010 focus with 63k on it, I'm getting ready for some general maintenance. I'm going to be changing the transmission fluid but I'm wondering if its too late to do a full flush and I should just drop the pan and change it only a few quarts at a time. Or if I could still do a flush without doing damage...I'm worried because I have unfortunate experience doing a flush and then needing a new transmission in another car but I did that with well over 100k. Has anyone done their flush around the same mileage as mine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I was going to get mine changed at 32k but FORD actually told me that I should wait until 60k or so. So I would say your right on time(=
Galatians 6:14
Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Johnnystaff
Focus Rookie

alright, thats pretty lucky. you were going to do a full flush when they told you that?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
gtferrari
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88110
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 4 gtferrari Good Standing Member
Its never too early to do a flush. If you wait too long you can damage it. Atf over time becomes acidic over time and the clutch material adjusts to. Once the fluid becomes acidic it will be nearly impossible to to flush the trans without doing damage. The material will wash off of the steel because of the ph difference. The friction material is made from recycled paper bags... high tech i know.

Now if you drop the pan and change the filter you will not be flushing the system and will only be replacing a third to half of the fluid. The torque converter holds most of the fluid and if there is any clutch material losse it will end up there. Any metal will get picked up by the magnet.

Expect to see one or two magnets covered in a grey dust this is normal. Now if you see any chunks thats a different story. Pry them loose from the pan and wipe them clean then wipe the pan clean.

When you replace the filter make sure you replace the o ring. Sometimes the old one will stick to the valve body...

Re assemble the pan and top off with fluid remembering that your not putting the whole capacity of inhe system back in. You will want to fill to a little above the full mark on the stick. The system has the means of bleeding out the extra fluid if you put a little too much back in. But it cannot compensate for a extra gallon.

For a proper flush to clean the torque converter you need specail equipment that circulates fluid back and forth to break the clutch dust and such free. They typically use filtered fluid to do this then flush it clean with all new fluid.

To check if your atf is acidic take the dip stick and draw it across a open cut. Usually you have one at your nails. If it burns it is acidic. If not then the fluid is safe to be changed. Most shops will not do this and will change the fluid regardless. A few months down the road youll run into trans problems

Rep Points dont add themselves
Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Johnnystaff
Focus Rookie

Ok thanks for the help, I was just afraid that I am too late to do the flush. I don't have a machine to flush it but I was going to pull off a Trans cooler line and run the motor to pour it out and then top off and repeat till it came out clean, do you think that's abad idea?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
gtferrari
Focus Addict

The torque converter drives the trans pump. You could do damage to the pump by running it dry. The fluid acts as a bearing and without it surfaces could begin to wear against each other. So i dont recommend it.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Johnnystaff
Focus Rookie

Ok ill probably just drop the pan and change the fluid that way a few quarts a time.

Another question. What type of power steering fluid should I use? I searched and all i could find was 1st gen. people saying ATF but I went to the stealership and they were saying not to and that they used some ford power steering. Is this true?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
gtferrari
Focus Addict

depending on the year atf works fine. the newer cars with electronic steering must use a non conductive fluid. our cars do not need it. i have used atf in the past no problem-

i would just run to the parts store and and pick up some ps fluid if you are going to flush the system. atf if youre just topping it off

Old 05-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtferrari View Post
To check if your atf is acidic take the dip stick and draw it across a open cut. Usually you have one at your nails. If it burns it is acidic. If not then the fluid is safe to be changed. Most shops will not do this and will change the fluid regardless. A few months down the road youll run into trans problems
Or instead of cancer, you can use a cheap, easily acquired test strip like this.
http://www.gwrauto.com/One%20Drop.htm
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
WhiteTite
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100660
What I Drive: '13 Focus ST2. '12 Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 2 WhiteTite Good Standing Member
My 2010 SEL is ready to hit 60K miles, this thread reminded me about the trans service thanks. I stopped by my dealer for a warranty issue on my ST, inquired about the trans service and was quoted $220 for a converter flush. Thinking of doing a oil and filter change myself, interested in following what you're doing.

Bookmarks & Social Networks