Mk3 2012 se sub install - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
Toasty
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 135042
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue MK3

FF Reputation: 1 Toasty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mk3 2012 se sub install

Okay so I am going to be doing a sub install in my 2012 mk3 sedan. I have this amp, these subs, and a lc2i LOC.

This will be my first time ever adding a subwoofer. I have replaced a radio, and some speakers before so I have experience soldering and cutting wires and all that. But I am confused as to how I am connecting the lc2i. The impression I am getting is I will have to tap into my rear speaker wires to get a signal for the music to get to the sub. Do I have to tap into both the left and the right speaker, or just one? Also I need to get power to the lc2i, so I read I can either get power directly from the battery or somehow through the amp for the subwoofer. I think I would rather get it straight from the battery but I'm unsure of how to do that.

I saw from another thread here that mounting the lc2i in the glove box would a good spot as I can tap right into one(or both) of the rear speaker wires from the wiring harness. Is this a good place for it? I think I am leaning more towards that idea I just want to make sure I'm not missing any huge steps here and or a small detail that could save me a lot of time and effort lol.

I will be doing this install in the next week or so when it gets warmer. I also will have pictures soon as I can.

Any advice or helpful info is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
leavingmarks
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 139145
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 leavingmarks Good Standing Member
I would not suggest hooking it directly to the battery. I did that with my aftermarket fog lights and its an extreme pain to remember to have to turn them off cause they won't turn off with the rest of the car. The same would go with your radio. Pictures please, I might install a sub one day!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
larkinsjoseph
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 145938
What I Drive: 2012 Gray SEL

FF Reputation: 1 larkinsjoseph Good Standing Member
From what I have read about the setup you are going with you are on the right track. I myself would use a relay for the lc2i feeding from a switched fuse in the passenger side fuse block. And then power from battery would not matter as it would be switched. If that sounds like to much.... from what I understand the lc2i goes on and off with the speakers themselves so it should not be a problem. (not sure). There is a big rubber piece on the driver side under the dash that is perfect for running wires through the firewall. where the clutch would be in a 5 speed. comes out right behind battery. all this is based off of my 2012 hatchback but should be the same. hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Toasty
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkinsjoseph View Post
From what I have read about the setup you are going with you are on the right track. I myself would use a relay for the lc2i feeding from a switched fuse in the passenger side fuse block. And then power from battery would not matter as it would be switched. If that sounds like to much.... from what I understand the lc2i goes on and off with the speakers themselves so it should not be a problem. (not sure). There is a big rubber piece on the driver side under the dash that is perfect for running wires through the firewall. where the clutch would be in a 5 speed. comes out right behind battery. all this is based off of my 2012 hatchback but should be the same. hope this helps.
Yeah I thought there would be a fuse somewhere I would have to plug in with the LOC. That all makes sense to me and I don't think I'll have a problem with that. But you did clarify a couple important details for me so thank you lol, I guess my only problem now is if I need to tap into both the left and rear speaker for the LOC. There is a spot for both on the LOC so I guess that answers my question but I have never heard anyone mention tapping into a second wire so I am unsure if I really need to or not. And I'm still looking to see how to take off the panel between the glove box and the back of the radio. I remember seeing a tut around here before but I can't find it again :/.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
Toasty
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingmarks View Post
I would not suggest hooking it directly to the battery. I did that with my aftermarket fog lights and its an extreme pain to remember to have to turn them off cause they won't turn off with the rest of the car. The same would go with your radio. Pictures please, I might install a sub one day!
Oh yeah I figured I would need a fuse hookup to it also. And don't worry I'll do my best to take pics of all the steps. Not sure what day I will get to this, but when I do I'll update this thread again.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
Metalcrack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 127930
What I Drive: 2014 Dark Gray SE

FF Reputation: 1 Metalcrack Good Standing Member
You should tap both the left and right front speaker. For future-proofing.

For now you can send the full range signal to your amp and use your amp's on-board filter (set to low-pass or LP) to just use low signals for the sub.

The 2i needs a constant power and a ground. I believe it senses the radio turning on through the increase power in the speakers, and uses that as a signal to turn on a remote out for your amps. ALWAYS fuse direct battery connections.

On my 6i, the remote out was only at 9v, so it wasn't high enough to turn on some of my amps. I have to hook that to a relay and switch through +12v from the constant power wire.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
Toasty
Focus Enthusiast

Okay so I basically finally just figured out how I was going to install it when I realized I am going to have little to no time to do this because of my work/school schedule. So I bit the bullet and went to best buy and talked with someone there and asked them a certain set of questions to ensure they knew what they were doing and I could rest easy. Gonna get it installed next week. I'll still post pictures of what they did at least and show placements of everything so maybe it will help in some way.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingmarks View Post
His LC2 should have a power and remote line though to prevent this from happening. I had my lc6 ran to the battery directly when I had it. Now I have an aftermarket radio. If you want to do it the right way then run wires from the battery to the power and ground of the LOC. 16 or 14 gauge wire should be fine as the Lc2 doesn't draw much power. Then for your remote you will need to tap into a 12volt wire that triggers when the car is on but is not "hot" when its off.
Galatians 6:14
Old 03-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #9
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
Okay so I basically finally just figured out how I was going to install it when I realized I am going to have little to no time to do this because of my work/school schedule. So I bit the bullet and went to best buy and talked with someone there and asked them a certain set of questions to ensure they knew what they were doing and I could rest easy. Gonna get it installed next week. I'll still post pictures of what they did at least and show placements of everything so maybe it will help in some way.
Good thiking
Galatians 6:14

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->