Hard shifting into gear when stopped. - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
VAfromMN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20592
What I Drive: '13 Focus ST & '04 Focus SVT

Points 1,010, Level 17
Points: 1,010, Level: 17 Points: 1,010, Level: 17 Points: 1,010, Level: 17
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 VAfromMN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Have you checked the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder? It almost sounds like it's not completely releasing the clutch.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #12
notch46
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114017
What I Drive: 2003 DSG ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 notch46 Good Standing Member
Yup fluid is full.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
brady2005
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110534
What I Drive: 2005 silver zx5

Points 539, Level 10
Points: 539, Level: 10 Points: 539, Level: 10 Points: 539, Level: 10
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 brady2005 Good Standing Member
So if your in neutral, and you push the clutch and hold it for 5-10 seconds, while pushing against 1st gear it wont slide in? Because what your discribing ( holding the clutch in and it doesnt lock you out of gear) is simular to what im experiencing, is it the same if you start the car in gear and you dont let clutch cutch out you can put it in gear? But if you start the car and let the clutch out, and push it back in is it hard then too?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
notch46
Focus Rookie

If I get in push the clutch in, start the car, long as I keep the clutch in I can go into any gear. But if I get in push the clutch in, start the car, take my foot off the clutch, then push the clutch in again and try to shift it in to gear it will not go. Oly way it will work is shift to 5th then 1st. I did not try holding it for 5-10 secagainst 1st to see if it would go in. Someone said might be the slave sticking? But your having the same issues and your clutch, slave, etc are new. Right?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
brady2005
Focus Enthusiast

Points 539, Level 10
Level Up 78% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Yes, I have replaced clutch, flywheel, pp, slave/ TOB, master, adjusted cables, new gear oil (ford) and inspected the shift tower.
Out of curiousity try that, let the clutch out after you start it, push it back in and just hokd it for 10 seconds while gently holding the shifter against 1st gear and see if after tue input shafts stops spinning if it goes into gear.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
notch46
Focus Rookie

I'll get back to you later tonight. Thanks
Old 04-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #17
notch46
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady2005 View Post
Yes, I have replaced clutch, flywheel, pp, slave/ TOB, master, adjusted cables, new gear oil (ford) and inspected the shift tower.
Out of curiousity try that, let the clutch out after you start it, push it back in and just hokd it for 10 seconds while gently holding the shifter against 1st gear and see if after tue input shafts stops spinning if it goes into gear.
So mine will not go into gear if I hold it there for 5-10 sec. Its like some times if I play around with it trying different gears it will go into a gear then I try 1st and it will go in. Other times ill play around and try different gears and it will not go in to anything. When this happens the car will actually rock forward when i try to shift it in a gear. It wont go in to gear but the car will rock forward. Maybe the clutch is not engaging all the way and not letting the shifter go into gear?
Old 04-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #18
brady2005
Focus Enthusiast

Points 539, Level 10
Level Up 78% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by notch46 View Post
So mine will not go into gear if I hold it there for 5-10 sec. Its like some times if I play around with it trying different gears it will go into a gear then I try 1st and it will go in. Other times ill play around and try different gears and it will not go in to anything. When this happens the car will actually rock forward when i try to shift it in a gear. It wont go in to gear but the car will rock forward. Maybe the clutch is not engaging all the way and not letting the shifter go into gear?
Strange, its still very simular.. mine is kinda the same as to moving forward, it wont while its in gear, but if its one of those times it wont go in, as im pushing it to enter the gate I feel it creep forward the slightest bit. Not much though. If your curious on the drag, you could get the front end up on jack stands, and start it in 1st and see if the tires spin, if they do while in 1st with the clutch fully depressed then its dragging. If it is dragging and your car savvy, first thing to do is, get a big syringe ( I got one from a local hardware store for mixing 2-cycle gas and some clear tube,pull the dust nipple off the slave, slide a 11mm box wrench onto the slave nipple and connect the tubing, fill the syringe with dot 3-4 ( if your fluid in the resovior is clean, use it from that, otherwise take a full syringe out but not enough to empty it and discard it and use fresh fluid, you want some taken out of the resovior so you dont overfill it) make sure you dont take out too much so its under the min line or you could let more air in . Open the bleeder screw and let it fill up the tube to the top(watch it while it fills and see if any air comes out), close the slave bleed nipple, connect the syringe open the bleeder again and squeeze the fluid back up into the slave, watch the resovior as you do it to see if any air bubbles come up.if there is air keep doing this until there is none, cycling fluid out from the resovior by either using for the syringe to reuse, or discarding it and using the same amount of new fluid. Hope this is understandable for you. If this is to difficult, if you have access to a pressure bleeder, that works best. The syringe way is just a cheap slower process but virtually the same. Your not losing and clutch fluid are you? Is the resovior full?
Edit: I see you say it wont go into gear, but moves as it sits against the gate. Mine is the same. Someone told me it could be the dog collars in the trans in my situation, but mines like that in every gear and I doubt there all bad and mines not as bad as you though, it will go into any gear the second try, and always goes in if I hold it against the gear for a few seconds.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #19
notch46
Focus Rookie

Yeah it will not rock forward while in gear, just sometimes when your trying to put it in gear. Yes my reservoir is full and I don't see any leaks.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
brady2005
Focus Enthusiast

Points 539, Level 10
Level Up 78% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Any word on your issue?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.