tstat housing and tstat? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
FocusRus, your car is running way warmer than it should. When I was running a 180 stat temps fluctuated between about 83 and 90 C which is about 181 and 194.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
You know soul....I figure the same thing. Test mode shows cooler temps.....not over 190*, but with my scanner plugged in it's showing the higher temps......

Sent from my SPH-D710 using FF Mobile
SR#269 'I know where the 'zetec' kicks in....'
Old 04-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I think some people have it backwards. having a fan come on sooner keeping the stock thermostat does not provide any improvement. If you drop the thermostat by it self, then it opens sooner. while the fans do not kick on the radiator is at a lower temp than the block. If your diving at any speed air will be forced through the radiator cooling the coolant. a lower temp will provide a direct drop in operating temp. only fear is if you go crazy and go with no T-stat you may never get out of open loop fuel profile and into a closed loop so your fuel economy will go down.

optimally to get 1-1 in operation temp drop, i.e. going with a 180 F T-Stat and getting a 10F drop in temp would also require a tune to lower the temp the fans kick on. but even with out the tune you will see a drop in temp.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 04-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
FocusRus
Focus Addict

I my haste, I didn't replace my rad....imagine my surprise......moved a box in the garage and there it was...the new one..lol. Thought I'd changed it but remembered I didn't.....must be fordtimizers......lol

Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
I think some people have it backwards. having a fan come on sooner keeping the stock thermostat does not provide any improvement. If you drop the thermostat by it self, then it opens sooner. while the fans do not kick on the radiator is at a lower temp than the block. If your diving at any speed air will be forced through the radiator cooling the coolant. a lower temp will provide a direct drop in operating temp. only fear is if you go crazy and go with no T-stat you may never get out of open loop fuel profile and into a closed loop so your fuel economy will go down.

optimally to get 1-1 in operation temp drop, i.e. going with a 180 F T-Stat and getting a 10F drop in temp would also require a tune to lower the temp the fans kick on. but even with out the tune you will see a drop in temp.
Actually his car is running right about where it should be , I would need to know his exact code to tell but most the low side fan doesnt come on till 232 on 220 off , High speed fan comes on at 246 and off at 232 and the high speed high load at 240

Just because your moving doesnt mean you dont need the fans running , a LOT of the time the fans run why your moving and you see the temps or close to , lowering the thurmostat is only part of what needs to be done , lower the fans turning them on sooner is what brings it all together

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
FocusRus
Focus Addict

^^^ what he said......

Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Actually his car is running right about where it should be , I would need to know his exact code to tell but most the low side fan doesnt come on till 232 on 220 off , High speed fan comes on at 246 and off at 232 and the high speed high load at 240

Just because your moving doesnt mean you dont need the fans running , a LOT of the time the fans run why your moving and you see the temps or close to , lowering the thurmostat is only part of what needs to be done , lower the fans turning them on sooner is what brings it all together

Tom
Correct, guess what I was trying to say but was not very successful. either way regardless of when fans do or do not turn on, the coolant and temp of the radiator will offer some cooling of the engine coolant when the T-Stat opens be it at 180F or 190F. so your operating temp will lower if nothing is done with the fans, however to fully benefit the fans need to be tweaked also.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 04-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #18
FocusRus
Focus Addict

I'll be honest, I really don't like the idea of the coolant temps running that high.....especially since I can view them in real time. I have always thought that, by design, those temps or kinda ' pushing it ' a bit. I constantly watch the coolant temps...city or hwy. I am subject to hit the hwy at anytime, I'm not afraid to drive the foci anywhere. But those damn coolant temps, that's what I don't like. Why do you think some many people have overheating issues....if the fans don't engage when they are set to....pow....cracked or blown something. It's like when someone gets pulled over for a tail light out...." you know...you got a tail light out"....." officer, I didn't know that". I believe in the preemptive approach, so I've replaced fan motors, resistor, water pump, radiator ( tomorrow ), I even installed a 3/4" blow tube from the inside of the cab to the radiator....so if all else fails---I can at least take the tube and "blow" into it to try to cool the radiator off.....it's a joke...
I monitor the temps just for my "information". I walk on the side of caution, believe me.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I used to think same thing until I realized how durable these engines are. Most of the overheating is when one loses the low fan due to resistor melting. If your train yourself right you can pick up on that in a heartbeat. Just watching the resistor plug for melting will catch it too.

Most pop a gasket because they insist they must still use the car with low fan not working, I'd bet a million most gaskets don't pop till you've done that more than once, or several times. Read the posts here onsite deeper, they just keep driving and driving while complaining the whole time since they don't know how to fix it. Heck. most don't even know to check if fans are working at the time of overheat.

The higher temp has a benefit, you keep all water boiled out of the oil, the engine stays much cleaner inside since no water to make sludge.

I rigged LEDs to low and high fan on/off and a/c compressor cycling, interesting stuff there. I pretty much know when they quit and fix the issue instantly.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:02 AM   #20
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Damn, I did the same thing, but just low fan circuit only. And you hit the nail right on the head....these are some very reliable engines when properly maintained. I guess for me though, the biggest PITA is that damn passenger side motor mount. Ford really has me disappointed with that one. But I can always try your solution with a rubber insert......just have to find one the right size. But to stay on topic....I can deal with the cooling fan circuits easliy, just never cared for a engine to run boarderline hot.....you have to stay on your game and never lose sight of the cooling fan operation....imo lol. Man....it's too early for me....I'm going back to bed.....

Bookmarks & Social Networks