Found a rat's nest in my car - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
jtrain
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97289
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jtrain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Found a rat's nest in my car

I cleaned my car on the weekend after a long winter and the last step was to check my fluid levels and oil. I probably haven't done this since November. I know, my bad. So I pop my hood and there is a rat's nest sitting on the engine It was a bit of straw, mostly foam insulation, and a ton of rat droppings. This makes sense because during the winter I would notice my fans sometimes had a bit of a dank/burning smell and I park outside near a garbage can. Now I know it was burning foam and rat smell. So I proceed to pull the nest out, vacuum the droppings, and carefully spray out what I could not get with the vacuum. I did a visual check and thankfully it looks like all the wires are intact.

On the drive to work today I noticed the smell was still there though. I tried to air it out and I turned my fans up to the max speed. On the top 3 fan speeds, there is a pretty loud whistling noise. Does anyone have an idea what's causing that? And any suggestions on how to get rid of rat smell?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrain View Post
On the top 3 fan speeds, there is a pretty loud whistling noise. Does anyone have an idea what's causing that?
Happens to me when my dash vents are closed or very close to being closed. Try wiggling them around? (including the passenger's side)
Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Ethie1990
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113894
What I Drive: 2007 silver st

FF Reputation: 1 Ethie1990 Good Standing Member
there might be rat crap in the air ducts going to your blower motor if i were you i would locate the ducts usually under the fascia of the wipers and try and blow air through there if all else fails get an air freshener.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101824
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 nseah Good Standing Member
This is actually a pretty common issue. On my work truck There's rat's nests everywhere. Last winter there was one in the radiator grille, which caused my engine to overheat all the time. Next was in my exhaust pipe. Gotta be careful of these guys
Old 04-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
skiboarder119
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98455
What I Drive: 2012 black TI 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 skiboarder119 Good Standing Member
I also thought I had a rat/mouse nest. Checked my fluids the other day and there was a ton of small leaves and grass all around my coil packs - it looked more like 3 nests (between the 4 coil packs). I dug through it looking for poop, found nothing.

I'm wondering if maybe it wasn't a mouse and crap just accumulates there? I have no engine cover.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
jtrain
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I wish it wasn't a mouse. But I had TONS of rat droppings and some of the insulation was chewed. From what I could see, they had a bit of the insulation on the underside of the hood and some other foam thing. None of the wires look chewed though.

And correct me if I'm wrong but the air ducts are literally right under the wipers. The first time I saw that on a car I thought they were speakers lol. Those are clean so I'll probably have to just get an air freshener.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
You gotta be careful with rat dropping as it can carry the Hantavirus and that's kind of like the plague -- not good. Be sure to clean everything and disinfect. I don't know how it could get into the duct-work but that could be real bad.

Brian
Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
2008 Ford Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91826
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SES 5 speed

FF Reputation: 0 2008 Ford Focus Newbie
Could it be the rats whistling along with your tunes?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
If you haven't done so already, I'd clean out your engine bay. Start by pulling off the cover under the engine bay. Then cover the alternator, battery, air intake, fuses with a bag. The battery and fuses have a quasi cover, and the stock air intake is probably pretty well protected too. With a hose on shower spray down the entire engine bay. Then spray it down with a foamy application of your degreaser of choice. Let it soak 2-3 minutes and scrub any problem areas. Rinse the engine down, drying it by hand if you want to avoid water spots and then remove the bags and put your stock skid plate/engine cover back.

It should take you half an hour or so, and if it's stuff in the engine (perhaps rat crap burning on a warmed up engine) this will take care of it.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 04-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
jtrain
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I cleaned my engine bay for the most part. I didn't know how to remove the cover underneath so I skipped that step. I sprayed it down, applied the motorcraft engine shampoo, scrubbed it down, and then rinsed clean.

What's annoying though is that I checked it this morning and there were a couple new droppings. I need to find a new place to park.

Bookmarks & Social Networks