MyFord Touch - Frustrating Perspective - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MyFord Touch - Frustrating Perspective

There are many infotainment systems out there so here's an article giving a little perspective on the more frustrating ones. Surprisingly, MFT escaped the list!

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...car-interfaces

MyFord Touch was mentioned as "pushed ahead without regard to some of the fine details" but "the automaker has fixed many of these hiccups and it's now quite good".

The article calls out 5 infotainment systems that are particularly frustrating:
1. BMW iDrive
2. Mercedes-Benz COMAND
3. Lexus Remote Touch
4. Audi MMI
5. Mazda TomTom Navigation

4/5 are non-touch, remote setups so maybe they just hate knobs. Or maybe they're more harsh on luxury manufactures because the extra cost should net a better experience.

Has anyone out there used these or other systems and also used MFT?

I understand that "frustrating" is very subjective but is MFT that bad or could we all use a little perspective?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101824
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 nseah Good Standing Member
to be honest, i actually like MFT a lot. It's way not as responsive as my iPad, but compare to my GPS or any other auto touch screen it's actually not bad at all. Ive had a flew glitches when I first got my car, but none anymore. Im more frustrustracted at the Sync voice command system then anything
Old 04-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I worked for Cadi for a few years till just recently, and their new cue system is FAR worse than MFT. Also, those non touch/knob driven systems can be hard to use as well. Not saying i'm a huge fan of MFT, but mine doesn't seem to be too problematic, yet.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I worked for Cadi for a few years till just recently, and their new cue system is FAR worse than MFT. Also, those non touch/knob driven systems can be hard to use as well. Not saying i'm a huge fan of MFT, but mine doesn't seem to be too problematic, yet.
That's interesting, as I've read a few articles that praised CUE as a much better system than MFT. The whole topic is subjective but I think certain systems are more intuitive. Can you give some examples of how MFT is better than CUE?
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
I work with a couple guys that drive Nissan Leafs and they complain about them all the time, both are highly technical individuals.

As for MFT, I don't think it's any better or worse than any other IVI out there based on what I've read in forums, reviews, articles, and conversations with co-workers. A couple of folks I know drive the Tesla Model S and they have mostly good things to say about it.

Car manufacturers entered the consumer level computer market when they started sticking these things in their vehicles and weren't fully prepared for it.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
Car manufacturers entered the consumer level computer market when they started sticking these things in their vehicles and weren't fully prepared for it.
I agree. In car tech seems so behind compared to cell phone tech. Wouldn't it be great of software companies partnered with auto manufactures to create smooth, intuitive systems? Oh wait, Microsoft & Ford did and it was... rocky. Apple should try it next.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27073
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 8 SilverPony2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonpalm View Post
Apple should try it next.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/...unveil-ibeetle
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
I still have the mft V2.11 and have not upgraded because mine works fine and i hear about all the problems newer versions have... With one exception my mft works w/o any issues.
The one issue i do have , and it's intermittent, is that when listening to music thru Bluetooth and allowing mft to change tracks on its own, it does not always update the title of the current song playing... sometimes it does and other times not.. if i manually fwd to the nxt track then it does change song titles... go figure! I guess it could be worse and i can live w/ this as i don't often use BT to listen to music.. Usually i plug in the phone to the usb slot and it plays perfectly there.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPony2001 View Post
I am not an Apple fan but it sounds like they might be on the right track with this set up. The smart phone is a better IVI than any proprietary solution car manufacturers have to offer. And it's upgradable!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
I am not an Apple fan but it sounds like they might be on the right track with this set up. The smart phone is a better IVI than any proprietary solution car manufacturers have to offer. And it's upgradable!
Is this where in vehicle technology is headed? Instead of manufactures designing better systems, they would integrate your advanced cell phone and use its features through the car. People would have to buy certain phones that are integrated with certain cars. If that's the case, I hope they still implement larger touch screens that emulate the phone so that you don't need to squint to see. I wouldn't mind buying a certain phone if I knew it had 100% integration with my car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks