Is intake upgrade still worth it without the exhaust upgrade? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104539
Location: Toronto, Canada
What I Drive: 2012,Tuxedo Black, Titanium

Posts: 108
Points 1,620, Level 23
Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Darth_Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is intake upgrade still worth it without the exhaust upgrade?

I really don't like the raspy sound of any of the exhaust kits available. Just not my preferance. Is it still worth the money to upgrade just the intke?


Darth_Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Bobby95
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101347
Location: Cincinnati, OH
What I Drive: 2002 zinc yellow zx3

Posts: 62
Points 207, Level 4
Points: 207, Level: 4 Points: 207, Level: 4 Points: 207, Level: 4
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Bobby95 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
I really don't like the raspy sound of any of the exhaust kits available. Just not my preferance. Is it still worth the money to upgrade just the intke?
To me, yes it is worth it and always will be. I put an intake on my ATV and never did put an exhaust on. I always have preferred the deep intake Sound over a exhaust though.
Bobby95 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
asting
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98342
Location: Cleveland, OH
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Posts: 466
Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
I really don't like the raspy sound of any of the exhaust kits available. Just not my preferance. Is it still worth the money to upgrade just the intke?
I too am/was hesitant about the noise changes to my vehicle. It's a 4 cylinder econobox, so it shouldn't sound like a monster. I just installed the K&N Air intake kit (got it for like $240 or so on Auto anything by asking if they could honor the 15% off new members), and that included the recharge kit.

It's not too much of a difference in sound level, only when you get on it. It does have a weird rumble around 1800-2000 rpm (probably due to resonant frequency lining up). Cruising and if you stay out of the throttle you can't tell the difference.
It definitely pulls a bit harder, and this intake has been dyno'd to show ~10hp increase by K&N and some owners have shown more than that. As always, YMMV and it depends highly upon your specific engine.
The thread above has a bunch of different intakes, so you can see that the intake alone is definitely worth it if you want a few extra ponies.

I purchased but have yet to install my exhaust kit (will do so in the next few days). I've heard the magnaflow is the quietest of the exhausts, so that's what I went with. I'm hoping I don't have to add/swap out resonators, but I think it should be okay. I'll update if you'd like about sound level. I'm okay with it being grumbly and loud as long as it can be quiet when I need it to.
__________________
2012 SE Hatch - 5 Speed - Tuxedo Black
Engine: K&N Typhoon CAI, Magnaflow 2.25 exhaust 15072
Suspension: MS3 Springs, Focus electric RMM.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
asting is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
carnage.exe
Focus Addict
 
carnage.exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 112726
Location: Houston, TX
What I Drive: '13 Perf. Blue Focus, '13 Dart GT

Posts: 1,351
Points 1,372, Level 20
Points: 1,372, Level: 20 Points: 1,372, Level: 20 Points: 1,372, Level: 20
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 1 carnage.exe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
I too am/was hesitant about the noise changes to my vehicle. It's a 4 cylinder econobox, so it shouldn't sound like a monster. I just installed the K&N Air intake kit (got it for like $240 or so on Auto anything by asking if they could honor the 15% off new members), and that included the recharge kit.

It's not too much of a difference in sound level, only when you get on it. It does have a weird rumble around 1800-2000 rpm (probably due to resonant frequency lining up). Cruising and if you stay out of the throttle you can't tell the difference.
It definitely pulls a bit harder, and this intake has been dyno'd to show ~10hp increase by K&N and some owners have shown more than that. As always, YMMV and it depends highly upon your specific engine.
The thread above has a bunch of different intakes, so you can see that the intake alone is definitely worth it if you want a few extra ponies.

I purchased but have yet to install my exhaust kit (will do so in the next few days). I've heard the magnaflow is the quietest of the exhausts, so that's what I went with. I'm hoping I don't have to add/swap out resonators, but I think it should be okay. I'll update if you'd like about sound level. I'm okay with it being grumbly and loud as long as it can be quiet when I need it to.
I too was a bit hesitant about installing the exhaust but after listening to a couple sound clips of the magnaflow, I was sold. It is not loud at all unless, like you said, you "get on it".
carnage.exe is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,575
Points 9,574, Level 65
Points: 9,574, Level: 65 Points: 9,574, Level: 65 Points: 9,574, Level: 65
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


Steeda CAI + O.E.M. ST cat back exhaust on my 2.0 L GDI Ti-VCT engine in the 2012 Ford Focus SEL. Its very quiet when cruising, but if you step on it to accelerate you'll definitely feel it.

Afaik the stock ST exhaust is 2.5" vs the 2.25 of the magnaflow.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
asting
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98342
Location: Cleveland, OH
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Posts: 466
Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


Steeda CAI + O.E.M. ST cat back exhaust on my 2.0 L GDI Ti-VCT engine in the 2012 Ford Focus SEL. Its very quiet when cruising, but if you step on it to accelerate you'll definitely feel it.

Afaik the stock ST exhaust is 2.5" vs the 2.25 of the magnaflow.
Where did you get this exhaust out of curiosity? what did it run you?
__________________
2012 SE Hatch - 5 Speed - Tuxedo Black
Engine: K&N Typhoon CAI, Magnaflow 2.25 exhaust 15072
Suspension: MS3 Springs, Focus electric RMM.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
asting is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,575
Points 9,574, Level 65
Points: 9,574, Level: 65 Points: 9,574, Level: 65 Points: 9,574, Level: 65
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
Where did you get this exhaust out of curiosity? what did it run you?
I got it from a fellow fanatic who probably let it go for less than what it was worth, or that others have asked for it. It's unlikely you'd find the entire cat back exhaust with around 1000 miles for the price I paid. I paid $180 for the parts. As far as I know I haven't heard of anyone else trying this yet on a N/A Focus, so it could be a first. It was a bit of a gamble that it would fit and give the sound I was looking for without much if anything it the way of drone normally. Of course when it was half installed (i.e. the front part only the loose pipe was a bit of a droning mess, and it was much louder after just the front resonator.



There were a few little nuances to getting the parts installed on the N/A 2.0 L GDI Ti-VCT, but nothing too major.

All told factoring in the cost of the tolls to pick it up as well as a tank of fuel, and having the first shop be unable to finish the job yet still charging me nearly all of the money to do the install and having to get a proper down and dirty muffler and exhaust shop finish the simple job it cost me around $350 installed and on the car as you hear it there.

It was cheaper than even the least expensive magnaflow 2.25" hatch catback exhaust I've seen mentioned at 470 in parts through some defunct group buy, other wise that one was usually much more expensive. The FSWerks costs about the same as the magnaflow and as much as the borla if you want the double stealth kit.

Yet so far to me it sounds like it's nearly the perfect balance of sound quality when getting on it a bit, and still near stock quiet when cruising with high manifold vacuum.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
asting
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98342
Location: Cleveland, OH
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Posts: 466
Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I got it from a fellow fanatic who probably let it go for less than what it was worth, or that others have asked for it. It's unlikely you'd find the entire cat back exhaust with around 1000 miles for the price I paid. I paid $180 for the parts. As far as I know I haven't heard of anyone else trying this yet on a N/A Focus, so it could be a first. It was a bit of a gamble that it would fit and give the sound I was looking for without much if anything it the way of drone normally. Of course when it was half installed (i.e. the front part only the loose pipe was a bit of a droning mess, and it was much louder after just the front resonator.



There were a few little nuances to getting the parts installed on the N/A 2.0 L GDI Ti-VCT, but nothing too major.

All told factoring in the cost of the tolls to pick it up as well as a tank of fuel, and having the first shop be unable to finish the job yet still charging me nearly all of the money to do the install and having to get a proper down and dirty muffler and exhaust shop finish the simple job it cost me around $350 installed and on the car as you hear it there.

It was cheaper than even the least expensive magnaflow 2.25" hatch catback exhaust I've seen mentioned at 470 in parts through some defunct group buy, other wise that one was usually much more expensive. The FSWerks costs about the same as the magnaflow and as much as the borla if you want the double stealth kit.

Yet so far to me it sounds like it's nearly the perfect balance of sound quality when getting on it a bit, and still near stock quiet when cruising with high manifold vacuum.
Very cool! That's a pretty wise move. I bet if you posted on forums for the ST you could pick one up. If I had the foresight I would have gone that route.
What modifications needed to be made to make it fit?

I wonder how it compares power wise to some of the other exhausts.
__________________
2012 SE Hatch - 5 Speed - Tuxedo Black
Engine: K&N Typhoon CAI, Magnaflow 2.25 exhaust 15072
Suspension: MS3 Springs, Focus electric RMM.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
asting is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
RedComet
Focus Addict
 
RedComet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 99232
Location: Hartford, CT
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

Posts: 1,010
Points 2,564, Level 30
Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
I really don't like the raspy sound of any of the exhaust kits available. Just not my preferance. Is it still worth the money to upgrade just the intke?
http://forums.focaljet.com/ti-vct-tu...hs-inside.html

Of particular note, the result for the K&N CAI...


__________________
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
RedComet is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,575
Points 9,574, Level 65
Points: 9,574, Level: 65 Points: 9,574, Level: 65 Points: 9,574, Level: 65
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
Very cool! That's a pretty wise move. I bet if you posted on forums for the ST you could pick one up. If I had the foresight I would have gone that route.
What modifications needed to be made to make it fit?

I wonder how it compares power wise to some of the other exhausts.
Other people were still trying to low ball the guy for either just the tips, or for the rear section of the exhaust, so they had almost given up on selling it for awhile, but when they saw that I had converted the front of the car into being a Frosted Glass ST (something that officially doesn't exist).

Really the only modifications were to cut the pipes just behind the cat flange to rotate the system to compensate for the fact that on the ST the catalyst flange is rotated relative to the N/A powered Focus; as well as to cut a little bit more of the end of that section to be able to slip fit a short section of pipe to weld it back together with the axle back section.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.