Threw a code after intake assembly swap, can't read the code? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
G Ford Fan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80771
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus Wagon, SE, Silver.

FF Reputation: 0 G Ford Fan Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Threw a code after intake assembly swap, can't read the code?

Unfortunately, after my air intake swap, on the way home from work today my wife's 2008 Focus threw a code.

Unfortunately my Actron CP9135 won't "link" so I can't read it!

Is the 2008 Focus "CAN" meaning I have to buy a whole new code scanner to see what code it threw?

Do you all think just going from the PZEV to Non-PZEV intake set-up caused this code? I wouldn''t think it would, since they make CAI's for my wife's car that I would think would change the air intake properties a whole lot more drastically?

Any thoughts would be appreciated and if there is some diagnostic mode I can get into to get the code without a scanner (as you can on the older cars) that would be great!

Thanks,
Greg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
UnbridledCarnage
Rhinoliner!!!

Fan#: 66551
What I Drive: 03 Rhinoliner'd ZX3 AdvanceTrac

FF Reputation: 9 UnbridledCarnage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
did you pull the NEG lead off the battery and let it sit for 10-15 mins?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
G Ford Fan
Focus Enthusiast

Hi, yes i did, i had it disconnected at least a half hour when i was installing the intake....and it's gone all week since Monday when i did the work? Weird...and frustrating for sure!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Thinking CANbus started around '03 or so............
Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
G Ford Fan
Focus Enthusiast

Ok, thanks for the reply, so i need to buy another code scanner that is CAN compliant? Are all the new OBDll scanners CAN compliant, also if i buy one will it be obsolete in the near future?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Can't you just do a software upgrade online for that scanner?
SR#269 'I know where the 'zetec' kicks in....'
Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
I just looked on Actron's website and it says:

Quote:
CP9135 OBD II AutoScanner™

There are currently no updates available for this model

The most current software version is 0f30
This software version is compatible with OBD II and CAN vehicles up to the present day
So it should work? Though it is possible that it is not firmware upgradeable thus stranding you with old firmware forcing you to buy a new device... I'd look at it's manual to see if there is anyway to upgrade it...

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the reply, so i need to buy another code scanner that is CAN compliant? Are all the new OBDll scanners CAN compliant, also if i buy one will it be obsolete in the near future?
No, if you can't upgrade your current peice, and decide to buy another one, make sure that it states that it is CAN compliant... And I don't know about the future...
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #8
G Ford Fan
Focus Enthusiast

Ok thanks, I've read on different sites it's not can compliant, and can't be updated....but i wanted to see if anyone here knew one way or the other. I've also heard there is a caniii version coming out so that's a concern. (if accurate) my Actron also would not link to a friends 05 mountaineer, so i guess it's time has passed....
Old 04-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Is your MAF turned the right way? That happens sometimes when installing CAIs. The MAF should look similar to a credit card. It will have 2 holes in the side of it. One hole will be on one side at one end of the card, and the other hole will be on the opposite side, opposite end so that air flow would seem to cut diagonally across the inside of the MAF.

Now, the hole that is the furthest away from the mounting screws- that is the inlet (facing incoming air, or facing the air filter), and the hole that is closest to the mounting screws is the outlet (faces the engine).

The MAF cannot be installed backwards.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
G Ford Fan
Focus Enthusiast

Guys, thanks so much for all the info, i really appreciate it.

I went on Actron's website this morning (thank you Coty!) and confirmed the information in your post. I sent an email to their tech department to see what needs to be done if I don't have that version of software (as I suspect I dont!).

YEAH WNTWN! Captian TMI!

Man, I always like hearing from you! You know these cars inside and out! I hold your thoughts and what you say in very high regard. To answer you specifically while asking another question, YES, the MAF is installed correctly in the NON-PZEV air box. I took it out this morning before my wife left for work and it PHYSICALLY can only go in ONE WAY as you said, or the screw holes do not line up.

The MAF on the 08' has a shiny metal side exposed and the other side is plastic. There is also an arrow on it marked "FLOW" so you know which way it's supposed to be installed, IE the arrow (direction) of the FLOW should point towards the throttle body. This is the way I installed it when I switched over to the NON-PZEV air box assy.

My thought or question is, is there the possibility that PZEV and NON-PZEV cars use different MAF's? The MAF in the PZEV set up, is installed BELOW the sealed airfilter/box assy, such that the flow of air around it is obvious, it comes from the bottom of the large air box inside the LF Fender, then takes a 90 degree turn up towards the sealed air filter/box assy, then comes out of that to a rubber tube to the TB.

The NON-PZEV, the MAF goes directly into the upper half of the serviceable air box, directly before the rubber tube. In that set-up the airflow comes in from an under-hood scoop, goes down to the bottom half of the air box and then back up through the paper filter element and then past the MAF. So it would seem to me the airflow is totally different in each set-up, hence my concern.

Any thoughts are appreciated, as I think I'm one of the first people to switch from a PZEV set-up to a factory NON-PZEV air box assy. I believe most just go the CAI route, so I'm wondering in a CAI set-up for a factory PZEV focus, where the MAF is located? Close to the stock location? There is not much play in the wiring for the MAF so it was had to get enough slack in the harness to connect it to the MAF in the NON-PZEV assy.

Thanks again,
Greg

Bookmarks & Social Networks