Meguiar's Ulimate Wax on Trims? And glaze recommendations - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111184
What I Drive: 2006 Blk ZX4 SES, 2009 Blu Coupe SE

FF Reputation: 1 LensDriven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Meguiar's Ulimate Wax on Trims? And glaze recommendations

So I just got my 09 a few weeks back and have been slowly and meticulously doing some minor restoration and perfecting to the paint. Apparently this car was never hand waxed and only taken through a washer..eep The paint is still in good condition- aside from the bumpers, but still pretty unless you search for defects like me

Anyway... I've been using Meguiar's Ultimate exclusively for the paint, but some odds and ends for all else- I figured trying to use it all together might work out better in the long run. First shot was wash, clay, polish wax, wax. Figured doing that before any restoration efforts with abrasives would let me know where to begin. For the trims I used mothers B to B, then some black magic. It didn't last long. The next time I waxed it (after being covered in love bug splat) I was doing a quick job of it and got the wax all over the front grilles and to my surprise- it looks WAY better than using the stuff that's meant for trims. I know it's formulated to not leave a residue on trim, but it actually seemed to enhance it.

So my question first is: could I use this wax on the black plastic regularly, and would there be any long term issues? Like drying it out or something? I know Ultimate isn't really a wax because it's all synthetic polymers.. I was trying to sign up to ask on Megs Online, but I'm still stuck in the approval que. ... And if so- what about on interior plastics..?

Next- Meg Ultimate doesn't seem to offer a non-abrasive glaze in the system, so I'm trying to pick something to use with it. Any recommendations? Megs has two pure polishes - #7 and the Deep crystal, but I also was looking at Griot's glaze for it's filling. Anyone have any experience with any of these?

THANKS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,755, Level 95
Points: 24,755, Level: 95 Points: 24,755, Level: 95 Points: 24,755, Level: 95
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
What you need to use in order to rejuvenate your exterior black plastic is a product called Forever Black. It's a dye that is made for Jeep owners because the plastic on them is notorious for fading fast. I inadvertently killed some of the plastic on my car, and it was recommended to me and works awesome. As for the interior, you'll get a million different responses based on what people prefer. I'm currently using Lexol products on my interior and I have nothing bad to say about them as they're inexpensive, do a good job of cleaning, and don't leave shine.

If you aren't going to any paint correction, Griots Paint Glaze would probably get you by until you do. On the other hand, if you know that you're going to be doing paint correction anyways then you may as well get started now instead of prolonging the inevitable
2014 FiST-
Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111184
What I Drive: 2006 Blk ZX4 SES, 2009 Blu Coupe SE

FF Reputation: 1 LensDriven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I looked up the Forever black- it looks like a dye of some kind. My plastic isn't bad off- it just looks, I don't know- a bit dry is all. On my classics I used to use mink oil, but i'm not sure with the new compounds they use now. I was just wondering if using the Megs Ultimate would have any kind of long term effect on it, being synthetic polymers and all. I actually like a bit of a shine in the interior, just hate when lint sticks to it. I was using black magic then buffing, but I haven't tried out all the new stuff thats come out in the last few years.

Yeah, the paint correction thing is really just a slow panel by panel process, as I notice new things and what not, but more so I was looking for something that would have some protecting/concealing properties for when I don't have time. We don't have a garage, just a florida carport and it's my daily driver. So swirls and light clearcoat scratches will happen, the job would never end if I tried to make it flawless. I was going to take care of the most obvious stuff ( heavier scratches/swirls, chips, nicks, scuffs) then try to maintain the rest- just doesn't seem to be much OTC polish options that just maintain and don't abrade, but it's good to use a polish/glaze of somekind under wax... Just wanna find something that might enhance a bit, however minimally, for when I'm not correcting.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.