2000 Ford Focus: Please tell me what Pipe this is so I can replace it - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
karysma
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 70268
What I Drive: 2000 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 karysma Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy 2000 Ford Focus: Please tell me what Pipe this is so I can replace it

Good day Focused Focusers,

My 2000 Focus SE had given up on me, consistently leaking coolant leading to my car being broken down on the side of a busy road. When I jacked the car, I found and extremely rusted and corroded pipe that seemed to be the cause of the leak (more like a pour). I want to save money by fixing the problem on my own so if anyone could tell me what pipe I need (simply the name or a specific part number for 2000 Ford Focus SE) , it would be greatly appreciated. The attached photos show the damaged pipe and the area in which it is located.

If anyone can provide me with the name of the part or links to threads that show info on replacing, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karysma

PS: I just bought the car used, I would never let my Focus reach this sad state.

Picture links of the damaged pipe below:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...matik/car1.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...matik/car2.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...matik/car3.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...matik/car4.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...matik/car5.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...matik/car6.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Looks like it might be one of the heater lines to me. That's a goofy arrangement though, I wonder why Ford did that. Is there any way you can replace it with a rubber hose to go the whole way?

You really need help from an SPI expert. One will be along before too long.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
karysma
Focus Rookie

Thanks for replying "whynot". I'm pretty sure it is as when I put coolant in, it all runs out, so it would have to be connected to the cooling/ heating system in some form I'm thinking (since this issue, heater won't blow hot which I'm sure is directly related). Just have to know for sure so I can replace it and get back on the road. If there is a way to replace it with rubber or something more resistant, that would be ideal.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Sorry, not an SPI owner, but the one and only reference in my Haynes manual with respect to that part, calls it a "coolant tube" and mentions you have to undo a bracket - held in with a single bolt - before dropping the oil pan.
The Ford dealer in your area should be able to look up the part number on one of their schematics. It looks like you're going to have to buy the dealer part anyway; I don't think you'd want a flexible rubber hose that close to any rotating pulley unless it was secured with some kind of fastener guaranteed not to let go. That's probably why Ford substituted a custom "hard line".
Old 11-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
karysma
Focus Rookie

Thanks a lot BC. I was hoping someone would have one of the Haynes manuals. I will try to find a part and I see exactly what you mean with regard to the benefits of having a hard pipe. If I'm not mistaken, some pipes are hard silicone right? I will update on my DIY progress.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Good luck with the repair. Looks relatively easy to get at once you remove that cover - one end of the pipe anyway.

And tell them to stop putting so much salt on the roads in ONT.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
As long as both ends were intact and similar sized, and I could put a hose clamp on it- I'd temporarily repair it with a hose if I could keep it out of the way of anything that would destroy it.

A good thick coat of paint will help in preventing rust damage like that. You'll have to rough up the surface with sand paper so that the paint will stick, but I'd give a multiple coats of something like barb-e-que grill paint that is made for preventing rust in high heat situations that a pipe like this would never see. Of course, if the temporary repair seemed to work great, then I'd stick with that, but as it looks I'd worry that the already rusted pipe would continue to rust until there was nothing left to remove from where it bolts into. Speaking of, you might have some serious problems removing that pipe from where it threads in.

Best of luck.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
davidjsouth

Fan#:
I was thinking, usually if it has a part # you might be able to google it and find out what it is plus some online instructions for replacing it.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
karysma
Focus Rookie

Thanks for all of the help. BC, you were right it was a COOLANT TUBE (KM-4493). And whynotthink, I think I am going to try a work around using only hose and run it on the outside of the timing belt shield as to protect it from damage. The part (KM-4493) costs between 150-170 at the Ford Dealership and I dont feel good about spending that much on a piece of pipe. If anyone knows a good price for the pipe, please let me know. Otherwise, I will do the workaround using only hose, hoping it is better than temporary. And, you were right about getting that piece out. There is a nut hiding between the timing belt that I could only turn 3-4 mm per turn. I will update with my progress. Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
Feral
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 1 2002 / 2 2001 Wagons

FF Reputation: 53 Feral Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Nah thats Ottawa for ya in Ontario they use a 50/50 mix of salt/sand XD Georgetown only uses salt when its going to be a flash freeze or major snowstorm.. the rest of the times its pure sand

My Wagon Rebuild - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217009

Bookmarks & Social Networks