I made a mistake. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Couzin Eric
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90034
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Couzin Eric Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I made a mistake.

My SVT header installation went fairly well on my zx3. Until it came down to lining up the EGR line with the bung on the header.
I had to take it out and bend it some and it dawned on me that I had to cut a small section of the line and flare it to make the perfect fit. Not so much.
When it came down to attempting the flare, No matter how tight I tightened the tube in the tool, it pushed it out of the other end which is a 1/2" slot.. It came down to using a 2 ton jack handle to rotate the flaring pin little by little. No dice.
I called a local garage and they said they wouldn't touch it because its emissions related.
So I'm under the impression that I probably need to find a plumber.
If I had the funds I would so plug it up and get a tune.
I made a mistake. What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 64 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Current tube is junk as is right?

SO, I'd try mounting it back in the flaring tool holder - then instead of using the press part, with the cone to flare it all at once - try using a ball peen hammer to tap around it & flare it out to the holder's chamfer bit by bit.

It SHOULD stay in place in the holder better since less force is being used, and you could use the "ball" of the hammer, driven by another hammer, for a couple final "wacks" to make it as smooth as possible once the basic shape is hammered in there. (at that point it won't be able to slide back in the holder, you could even try the cone press again!)

Luck!

S.R. #275
Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 AM   #3
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
A US standard flaring tool will not hold metric spec tubing correctly. You can tighten it up by shimming with thin sheet metal.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
bennyfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50465
What I Drive: 2001 Blue Zx3

FF Reputation: 6 bennyfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Personally I would either get a new tube or find a used one at a junk yard. Never in my life have I ever had to or heard of anyone needing to cut and flare the egr tube to make the svt header work especially if its the ford racing kit designed to work on a zetec. If its some kind of home made job or the obx knock off header I guess anything is possible but it still shouldn't require cutting just some persistence, bending, and pushing to get it to line up enough to tighten the nut.

If you are dead set on getting your old one flared then if there is a NAPA auto parts store around you may want to check with them and see if they can flare it. The store in our area is able to make custom lines and hoses in store, I'm not sure if their equipment would be enough to flare the egr tube or not as if I recall right its pretty thick compared to most hydraulic pressure lines. You could also look for a heavy equipment store that makes hydraulic lines and see if they have a way to flare it also.

Sailor's hammer idea may work but if you dont get the flare to seal right and have an exhaust leak you could end up with a DPFE sensor code.

Best of luck.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Couzin Eric
Focus Enthusiast

Couldnt wait any longer so i bought a new tube.
Even tried to have the old one flared with a hydraulic tool but the end was too close to the bend.
Ive decided not to throw the old one away because im still going to try and fix it. I know I can eventually.
I tried a few off the suggested methods but got impatient. I would have never thought of the ball peen
hammer or the shim trick. I really do appreciate it.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 64 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Tx for the update!

When you're stuck, sometimes McGuyver tricks are all that's left. And on the weekend, with no parts avail., that's all you've got to work with.

Out of many good hints, something might be the trick.

Sounds like you're up & running now.

Cheers!

S.R. #275
Old 05-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Couzin Eric
Focus Enthusiast

Ahoy sailor! Yup I odered the tube off of rock auto and it should be here in a few hours. in the mean time Im running down to MA to pick up a catback from JKane than i should be all set.
I tried to give rep points in this thread but every time the comment window pops up it disappears as soon as i try to type something in. Prob cause Im using my phone.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
sam fisher
I hate dents!

Fan#: 103137
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx4 ses

FF Reputation: 3 sam fisher Good Standing Member
Try holding down where you click to give rep points , see if it gives you the option to " open window " . My phone does the same thing and thats what i have to do lol.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using FF Mobile
Old 05-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
forddorf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31248
What I Drive: 2001 malibu blue zx3 / turbo-2004

FF Reputation: 3 forddorf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You have already figured this out, so for those who don't know, the svt header with the bung uses a modified egr tube that came with the kit. The stock zetec egr tube will not line up with the svt header bung.

Bookmarks & Social Networks