car wont start - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Luis360
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35708
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Luis360 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
car wont start

ok guys i have a HUGE problem. i went to a car show on Sunday. as i was getting ready to leave, i went to start my car and it didnt. I thought it was a dead battery. Anyways, i get my jumper cables to charge my battery. car still wont start. wont even click. I then use my brothers Focus SE battery and get the car running. i quickly disconnect the battery and put mine in. i soon start to smell a weird scent. i pop my trunk and see my subs capacitor is boiling up and smoking. i quickly disconnect my capacitor so it wont catch fire. Anyways, i drive off and notice the battery light turns on. i knew the battery was going bad so i was going to replace it. i stop at a Cicis pizza to have lunch with my friends. when i get out to leave, the same thing happens. this time the car wont start for nothing. starter wont click or turn over. i also noticed that when i was leaving the car show, my headlights and fog lights burnt out. i had to get my car towed. i noticed that my fuel pump isnt turning on. i changed the starter and still the same. i plug in my scanner to scan for codes but all i get is an error. could my ecu be fried? all fuses are fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
You guys are having a really ruff time with your cars. Glad to see giovanie got his car going again. I hope you can get your figured out.

Sent from 34.0764 N, 118.4296 W
Old 04-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
cpalz
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105682
What I Drive: 2002 Zx5 Focus, 2005 Zx4 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 cpalz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Did you remove the battery while the car was running? It is very possible that created an overvoltage situation that cooked the electronics. Bulbs if turned on will be the first to go. If the alternator sees no voltage on the chargeback wire from the battery, it could go into full output. Or a voltage regulator starting to go. If the voltage regulator is bad, the battery could be the only thing holding the voltage down for a while. That has happened before, so many people believe in the old procedure that to test your alternator, get the car running, and remove the neg. cable. If the car stays running, alternator is good. That is never a good idea on newer cars with all the electronics. Same thing with removing the battery while running. Hope it turns out well for you, and best of luck.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
Well swapping batteries with the car running you most likely spiked the alternator since thats where all the power was going to while the battery was out
Still here!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
Disconnected the battery while the car was running???

Please see this link to back up what cpalz is saying and me

http://www.troubleshooters.com/dont_...ct_battery.htm

You toasted everything
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Luis360
Focus Addict

Unfortunately I did remove the battery while the car was on. I didn't know modern cars didn't work like old Ines did. This was the only way to get the car moving. I took the ecu to do a smell test and kinda smelled burnt electronics. Opened up the ecu and guess what? I fried my ecu. Now I need to get a new ecu and get it flashed so it can work with my car.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
Luis360
Focus Addict

Ones*
Old 04-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Luis360
Focus Addict

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...=photo_comment
Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
Bro I feel for you
The space capsule that went to the moon and back well today's cars have more computing power than that.
!2 Volts isn't much and any deteriorated cables/connections will drop precious Volts and render the car unusable. Years ago I read stories about cars would have higher Voltage systems such as 24 or even 48 Volts ,save on copper too as the wires would be thinner, I don't know what happened to that plan.
By the way the ECU isn't the only black box on a car either
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 8 Milton Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeshaq View Post
Bro I feel for you
The space capsule that went to the moon and back well today's cars have more computing power than that.
!2 Volts isn't much and any deteriorated cables/connections will drop precious Volts and render the car unusable. Years ago I read stories about cars would have higher Voltage systems such as 24 or even 48 Volts ,save on copper too as the wires would be thinner, I don't know what happened to that plan.
By the way the ECU isn't the only black box on a car either
Electronics got smaller, more efficient and require smaller voltages (< 5 volts), so no need for changing to an electrical system >12 volts. Really big vehicles (big trucks, big military vehicles, ships, etc.) will use 24/48 volt systems. They need to run big motors, compressors, etc.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->