Is my focus worth upgrading? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
zx3fiend13
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114864
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 zx3fiend13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is my focus worth upgrading?

I have a 2001 ZX3 with 145k miles on it. It still runs fine and I've had no recent issues with it at all but I am having a hard time deciding whether or not to sink any money into it. I want to buy an SVT suspension bundle made for the zx3 as well as exhaust and many engine upgrades. I would like to know some other peoples experiences with upgrading a zx3 this old good or bad and how long these cars last.
So if anyone has any input on this I would greatly appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Depends on how much longer you plan to keep the car. If you plan to keep it for another 3-4 years, then its definately worth upgrading the suspension and maybe tossing a few things in the engine-bay.

That being said, 150k is quite a few miles. I usually try to sell cars before they get to the 150k mark since they start to become a bit of a money-pit as they get older.

Not that the focus isnt reliable, its just a general rule of thumb i have.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
JFrye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54896
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3, 99 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins

FF Reputation: 3 JFrye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I would agree with the part of how long you want to keep the car. If you're keeping it a while, then its definitely worth it.

As for the mileage, I honestly think it depends on the previous work done. Are you the original owner? Any service records of work performed to keep it up and going? If you have no records, or knowledge of any maintenance being done, then I think its a chance that you would have to decide upon taking. Personally, I bought my focus with 120,000 miles, and a bad transmission. Im currently sitting at 145,000 and I have no plans to stop modding it the way I want it to be, but I am also doing a lot of the maintenance work as I go, so that I have my own records of when things were done.
2000 Silver ZX3. 2.0 Zetec, Auto trans with 3.90 gears. 14 inch steelies, P185/65R14 Firestone Affinity Touring Tires. Eibach Sportlines, Massive Upper Strut Bar, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, FSWerks 4 to 1 Header, Custom 2.5 inch into 3 inch exhaust.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
sonicZ
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 34673
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT/2005 Blue 350Z

FF Reputation: 1 sonicZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Being that the only real difference in the zx3 and svt suspension is the springs. I would spend the money on eibach springs and then buy camber kits to protect your tire wear. The SVT rear springs don't drop far enough so why waste the time and money for a half inch. I just did the same to my son's 03 ZX3 and it sit's much better than my stock It'SVT. And by the way... It(SVT) has 220K miles on it and I've only had the head pulled when the timing belt broke at 79K back in 2008. If you take care of it... It'll take care of you.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 21 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicZ View Post
Being that the only real difference in the zx3 and svt suspension is the springs. I would spend the money on eibach springs and then buy camber kits to protect your tire wear. The SVT rear springs don't drop far enough so why waste the time and money for a half inch. I just did the same to my son's 03 ZX3 and it sit's much better than my stock It'SVT. And by the way... It(SVT) has 220K miles on it and I've only had the head pulled when the timing belt broke at 79K back in 2008. If you take care of it... It'll take care of you.
SVT shocks and struts are different from regular Foci.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes

Bookmarks & Social Networks