Calling all SUSPENSION GURU'S... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
en_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99071
What I Drive: 2009 Frosted Glass Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 en_focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Calling all SUSPENSION GURU'S...

Alright I have a problem... obviously! I recently tried to have my re-alignment done but couldn't b/c my drivers side rear tire has -2.4 degrees of camber. I was told that the machine said something about a control arm camber kit and then I explained what I saw to him and he said that I need to replace my strut b/c a previous owner of the vehicle might have gotten hit on that side which would have left the strut bent. I only have one picture at the moment but I will be posting more as soon as I get a chance to take a the wheel off. Any ideas of what it could possibly without taking of the wheel???

Next, if it is a strut that has to be replaced does anybody recommend a certain brand for a 2009 Focus SE? If I decided to install some lowering springs would it be alright to stick with the stock struts or should I upgrade them and do it all at the same time? Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated... I'm fairly new to wrenching and trying to learn as much as I can by what people tell me, have done, or by me trying to do the work myself. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
If you install lowering springs with new struts, I would recommend shopping for 06-07 model year parts. THey'll fit and you have a better range of options.

Apart from that I would say you could just get a pair of replacement rear struts from monroe or something to fix this alignment issue until you start modding the car. (Do not buy a single rear strut, replace them both)
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
leh0825
[:)][:)][:)][:)] I got this!!!!

Fan#: 63206
What I Drive: 04 F250 FX4 6.0L

FF Reputation: 8 leh0825 Good Standing Member
the rear of my car had some camber like that too when i lowered mine. is is the spring seated correctly? and yes there is a kit you can buy to help on the rear camber. i bought one thinking i would need it and i didn't..
Team Duratec #220/Sedan Revolution #179/NW Posse#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller_1974 View Post
Geesh. I mean I know it's just a Focus to the repair shop, but they couldn't give You something other than a rolling vagina to drive?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
cmb1120
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113423
What I Drive: ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 cmb1120 Good Standing Member
go oem.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Just to clear things up a bit...

The Focus has struts in the front, but it has a multi-link suspension in the rear, shock absorber there - but no strut.

A "Camber bolt" can be used on the top arm for a small amount of adjustment, and they are often sold in "kits" of two for those adjusting camber after lowering the car. Adjustable upper arms are used for larger adjustments, shouldn't be needed in this case.

Many shops would have individual camber bolts on hand for common applications.

Sounds like whoever you talked to didn't know what car you were referring to, and earlier responses just answered the "strut" question without thinking it through.

Luck!

P.S. - SOME came with camber at the outer edge of what's acceptable, worn bushings can account for others, prev. damage could be an issue, needs a good check over to see where yours falls & get it back in an acceptable range.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
P.P.S. - "Importance of toe in/toe out" in the "stickies" (last read first section) will give you some good info. on alignment for these cars. Worth the read.

Cheers!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Sailor is right, the rear is a shock absorber, not a strut. Why does this matter you ask? Well, since its not a strut, the shock doesn't affect the position of the rear wheel. So the cause is not a bent shock, but the shock could still be damaged.

You likely have a bent or damaged arm(s), hard to tell which one without jacking the car up and taking a look.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
You'd think the tech would have a quick peek at your suspension, while it was on the alignment rack, for bent arms or something. How far was the other side? Your upper arm would have to be bent to get negative camber. If the front toe-link arm is bent You'd have positive toe. It'll be great if you could find someone to show you or help look real quick. If your going to lower your car, like it was said earlier use the '06+ kits. Springs & dampers. It could be you already have camber asentrict bolts & the lr is out of adjustment. I'd have someone else look at it.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 04-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
en_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by leh0825 View Post
the rear of my car had some camber like that too when i lowered mine. is is the spring seated correctly? and yes there is a kit you can buy to help on the rear camber. i bought one thinking i would need it and i didn't..
To be honest I haven't started modding it... I picked it up a year ago and I started noticing this a few months ago
Old 04-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
en_focus
Focus Enthusiast

The tech I talked to didn't look at my suspension bc I called over the phone and to be honest I'm not too big into paying $50+ to have somebody take a quick look, especially somebody I don't know personally.

Here are the read outs that I got:

Bookmarks & Social Networks