New T-Belt Tensioner Failure... :( - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #71
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
I also have the 294B kit, I know the PO used the 294A kit.....I wonder if the other guy that had his pop used the 294A or 294B......maybe there is some difference between the A-kit and B-kit that's causing the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #72
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would say it's rare if it did happen. If common you'd be able to hear of the pending class action lawsuit or somesuch. I would think lunching motors would get Gates' attention lickety-split. Or so one would hope, nowadays, maybe not.

Rent, not saying anything to disparage you, would've been nice to see if tensioner still had its' springiness to it. Other than that it should've been obviously broken. Who knows? Something as rare as trash in bearing locks it for a millisecond, belt jumps then bearing peels back free to give no obvious clue what happened.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #73
rent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12823
What I Drive: 03' SVTF

FF Reputation: 2 rent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
I would say it's rare if it did happen. If common you'd be able to hear of the pending class action lawsuit or somesuch. I would think lunching motors would get Gates' attention lickety-split. Or so one would hope, nowadays, maybe not.

Rent, not saying anything to disparage you, would've been nice to see if tensioner still had its' springiness to it. Other than that it should've been obviously broken. Who knows? Something as rare as trash in bearing locks it for a millisecond, belt jumps then bearing peels back free to give no obvious clue what happened.
FWIW, the mechanic initially retimed the car and it held while running a compression test, but obviously the car wouldn't run.

Update - car is 90% back together. I helped set the timing and torque down the cam gears (having someone help do this is crucial, 89 ft/lbs on the intake cam is a lot for one arm), everything lined up TDC after triple checking and whatnot. He probably has another 2 hours of reassembly before its good to go, hopefully I won't have to screw with P1381 & P1383 now.

Tomorrow will hopefully be a good day

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*
'14 FoST Ingot Silver, bone stock...
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #74
Insaniac
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34327
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Insaniac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent View Post
FWIW, the mechanic initially retimed the car and it held while running a compression test, but obviously the car wouldn't run.

Update - car is 90% back together. I helped set the timing and torque down the cam gears (having someone help do this is crucial, 89 ft/lbs on the intake cam is a lot for one arm), everything lined up TDC after triple checking and whatnot. He probably has another 2 hours of reassembly before its good to go, hopefully I won't have to screw with P1381 & P1383 now.

Tomorrow will hopefully be a good day
Did you have the 1381/1383 codes active before the tensioner gave out?
2003 ZX5 SVT #1345
CD Silver; Red Interior; Audiophile; Moonroof; HID's
Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #75
rent
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaniac View Post
Did you have the 1381/1383 codes active before the tensioner gave out?
No, but I didn't take the cams loose when I did the belt. Given that the head has now been rebuilt, I'm crossing my fingers that the cam code gremlins avoid me.

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*
Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #76
rent
Focus Enthusiast

Got her back today. What a relief. No 1381 or 1383.

Went to Firestone and got my RE-11a's put on and an alignment. Was surprisingly out of spec for only a month and a half of driving.

I'll update this thread if/when I hear back from Gates.

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #77
icurunnin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 71011
What I Drive: 03 BLK Svt Focus 5 door Vortech H.O

FF Reputation: 1 icurunnin Good Standing Member
I'm in Fort Worth and could use some assistance on my 03 svt. I rebuilt the engine and can't seem to shake the timing gremlins myself (p1381 & 1383). Really frustrated with it. I know it has a lot of potential now with forged pistons and the vortech h.o. kit. Just can't get it timed right
Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #78
Insaniac
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34327
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Insaniac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by icurunnin View Post
I'm in Fort Worth and could use some assistance on my 03 svt. I rebuilt the engine and can't seem to shake the timing gremlins myself (p1381 & 1383). Really frustrated with it. I know it has a lot of potential now with forged pistons and the vortech h.o. kit. Just can't get it timed right
In case you haven't seen it, >>this<< thread over at FJ is a gold mine of information about the 1381/1383 codes. When I changed my belt I followed the procedure they detail in that thread and I've driven ~3500 miles without throwing a code.
2003 ZX5 SVT #1345
CD Silver; Red Interior; Audiophile; Moonroof; HID's
Old 05-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #79
rent
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
In case you haven't seen it, >>this<< thread over at FJ is a gold mine of information about the 1381/1383 codes. When I changed my belt I followed the procedure they detail in that thread and I've driven ~3500 miles without throwing a code.
I was going to recommend this - I had it on standby for the mechanic if he ran into them.

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*
Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #80
icurunnin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 71011
What I Drive: 03 BLK Svt Focus 5 door Vortech H.O

FF Reputation: 1 icurunnin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Tried that procedure several times with no luck. Wondering if my vct solenoid or vct gear are faulty..

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->