New T-Belt Tensioner Failure... :( - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #71
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict
 
hurtinfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Fan#: 835
Location: Buffalo, NY
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

Posts: 1,158
FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
I also have the 294B kit, I know the PO used the 294A kit.....I wonder if the other guy that had his pop used the 294A or 294B......maybe there is some difference between the A-kit and B-kit that's causing the issue?
__________________
My majorly huge hand-made Focus RS replica build: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289061
hurtinfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #72
amc49
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96610
Location: Fort Worth, TX
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Posts: 4,784
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would say it's rare if it did happen. If common you'd be able to hear of the pending class action lawsuit or somesuch. I would think lunching motors would get Gates' attention lickety-split. Or so one would hope, nowadays, maybe not.

Rent, not saying anything to disparage you, would've been nice to see if tensioner still had its' springiness to it. Other than that it should've been obviously broken. Who knows? Something as rare as trash in bearing locks it for a millisecond, belt jumps then bearing peels back free to give no obvious clue what happened.
amc49 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #73
rent
Focus Enthusiast
 
rent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Fan#: 12823
Location: Allen, TX
What I Drive: 03' SVTF

Posts: 120
FF Reputation: 2 rent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
I would say it's rare if it did happen. If common you'd be able to hear of the pending class action lawsuit or somesuch. I would think lunching motors would get Gates' attention lickety-split. Or so one would hope, nowadays, maybe not.

Rent, not saying anything to disparage you, would've been nice to see if tensioner still had its' springiness to it. Other than that it should've been obviously broken. Who knows? Something as rare as trash in bearing locks it for a millisecond, belt jumps then bearing peels back free to give no obvious clue what happened.
FWIW, the mechanic initially retimed the car and it held while running a compression test, but obviously the car wouldn't run.

Update - car is 90% back together. I helped set the timing and torque down the cam gears (having someone help do this is crucial, 89 ft/lbs on the intake cam is a lot for one arm), everything lined up TDC after triple checking and whatnot. He probably has another 2 hours of reassembly before its good to go, hopefully I won't have to screw with P1381 & P1383 now.

Tomorrow will hopefully be a good day
__________________
-James

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*
'14 FoST Ingot Silver, bone stock...
rent is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #74
Insaniac
Focus Enthusiast
 
Insaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Fan#: 34327
Location: Altoona, PA
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 SVT

Posts: 182
FF Reputation: 5 Insaniac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent View Post
FWIW, the mechanic initially retimed the car and it held while running a compression test, but obviously the car wouldn't run.

Update - car is 90% back together. I helped set the timing and torque down the cam gears (having someone help do this is crucial, 89 ft/lbs on the intake cam is a lot for one arm), everything lined up TDC after triple checking and whatnot. He probably has another 2 hours of reassembly before its good to go, hopefully I won't have to screw with P1381 & P1383 now.

Tomorrow will hopefully be a good day
Did you have the 1381/1383 codes active before the tensioner gave out?
__________________
2003 ZX5 SVT #1345
CD Silver; Red Interior; Audiophile; Moonroof; HID's
Insaniac is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #75
rent
Focus Enthusiast
 
rent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Fan#: 12823
Location: Allen, TX
What I Drive: 03' SVTF

Posts: 120
FF Reputation: 2 rent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaniac View Post
Did you have the 1381/1383 codes active before the tensioner gave out?
No, but I didn't take the cams loose when I did the belt. Given that the head has now been rebuilt, I'm crossing my fingers that the cam code gremlins avoid me.
__________________
-James

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*
'14 FoST Ingot Silver, bone stock...
rent is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #76
rent
Focus Enthusiast
 
rent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Fan#: 12823
Location: Allen, TX
What I Drive: 03' SVTF

Posts: 120
FF Reputation: 2 rent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Got her back today. What a relief. No 1381 or 1383.

Went to Firestone and got my RE-11a's put on and an alignment. Was surprisingly out of spec for only a month and a half of driving.

I'll update this thread if/when I hear back from Gates.
__________________
-James

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*
'14 FoST Ingot Silver, bone stock...
rent is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #77
icurunnin
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Fan#: 71011
Location: Fort Worth, Tx!!! Need a address???, TX
What I Drive: 03 BLK Svt Focus 5 door Vortech H.O

Posts: 18
FF Reputation: 1 icurunnin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm in Fort Worth and could use some assistance on my 03 svt. I rebuilt the engine and can't seem to shake the timing gremlins myself (p1381 & 1383). Really frustrated with it. I know it has a lot of potential now with forged pistons and the vortech h.o. kit. Just can't get it timed right
icurunnin is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #78
Insaniac
Focus Enthusiast
 
Insaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Fan#: 34327
Location: Altoona, PA
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 SVT

Posts: 182
FF Reputation: 5 Insaniac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by icurunnin View Post
I'm in Fort Worth and could use some assistance on my 03 svt. I rebuilt the engine and can't seem to shake the timing gremlins myself (p1381 & 1383). Really frustrated with it. I know it has a lot of potential now with forged pistons and the vortech h.o. kit. Just can't get it timed right
In case you haven't seen it, >>this<< thread over at FJ is a gold mine of information about the 1381/1383 codes. When I changed my belt I followed the procedure they detail in that thread and I've driven ~3500 miles without throwing a code.
__________________
2003 ZX5 SVT #1345
CD Silver; Red Interior; Audiophile; Moonroof; HID's
Insaniac is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #79
rent
Focus Enthusiast
 
rent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Fan#: 12823
Location: Allen, TX
What I Drive: 03' SVTF

Posts: 120
FF Reputation: 2 rent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaniac View Post
In case you haven't seen it, >>this<< thread over at FJ is a gold mine of information about the 1381/1383 codes. When I changed my belt I followed the procedure they detail in that thread and I've driven ~3500 miles without throwing a code.
I was going to recommend this - I had it on standby for the mechanic if he ran into them.
__________________
-James

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*
'14 FoST Ingot Silver, bone stock...
rent is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #80
icurunnin
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Fan#: 71011
Location: Fort Worth, Tx!!! Need a address???, TX
What I Drive: 03 BLK Svt Focus 5 door Vortech H.O

Posts: 18
FF Reputation: 1 icurunnin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaniac View Post
In case you haven't seen it, >>this<< thread over at FJ is a gold mine of information about the 1381/1383 codes. When I changed my belt I followed the procedure they detail in that thread and I've driven ~3500 miles without throwing a code.
Tried that procedure several times with no luck. Wondering if my vct solenoid or vct gear are faulty..
icurunnin is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.