New T-Belt Tensioner Failure... :( - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #31
limeyrider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35376
What I Drive: 2004 SVT, infrared, '72 Bonny 650

FF Reputation: 3 limeyrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent View Post
I really think that I am a statistical outlier in terms of part failure, so take my post with a grain of salt. Everyone and their mother uses the gates kit, so I really ended up being the unlucky .01% that incurred failure.

I have sent Gates an email through their "contact an engineer" link on the website. They actually have an office locally, but I'm fairly certain its a office of accountants and not product engineers. I'll check it out regardless, I'd really like to know without any doubt that the tensioner has a flaw.

I can't say I will buy Gates parts or recommend them to anyone at this point. I'll be using OEM for rebuilding.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using FF Mobile
I was really tending to agree with you until I saw the pictures of the 'revised' part.

The adjusting mechanism in the core appears to be cast metal alloy. The same Gates part kit I got a year+ ago (actually installed a year ago) is NOT cast, it's stamped steel - at least a ferrous metal of some kind.

>Cast metal is absolutely not suitable for this application, personally I would not trust cast.

I'm now willing to bet the other failure mentioned was also a cast 'revised' piece.

At least for the time being, ANYBODY getting the Gates kit should *NOT ACCEPT* the 'revised' piece and only get the stamped steel type. We should also watch closely and see of Gates goes back to the original design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #32
qweesy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12042
What I Drive: 2004 focus Duratec 2.3 RS (DEAD)

FF Reputation: 3 qweesy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
dont bother with the adjustable cam gear wait until you can do 2 adj cam gears with VCT delete and a dyno tune with whatever FI setup you decide to go with/ I personally only be sticking with OEM Ford when it comes to the timing component set
Old 04-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #33
SBK86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108959
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SBK86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I installed mine about a 10 months ago and have driven it 7000 miles with no problems. It looks just like the pictures shown. Whether it's the cast metal alloy or stamped steel I'm not sure, just know it looks just like those pictures. Kinda worried.. but I guess if I've gone this far without problems I'm probably ok.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #34
SvviftSVT
Release the Kraken!!

Fan#: 58277
What I Drive: Green-Eyed 2004 Black SVT #0461

FF Reputation: 10 SvviftSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qweesy View Post
dont bother with the adjustable cam gear wait until you can do 2 adj cam gears with VCT delete and a dyno tune with whatever FI setup you decide to go with/ I personally only be sticking with OEM Ford when it comes to the timing component set
i agree with this in its entirety.
i am going to install my dual adj cam gears when i do my next timing belt.. in about 20k-ish.
TeamFOCALIZE!// HATCH NATION #45// October '12 ROTM

Track build will commence by Christmas (hopefully)
Old 04-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #35
rent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12823
What I Drive: 03' SVTF

FF Reputation: 2 rent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Mini-update :

Was able to get in contact with a Gates customer call center. Gates works through a series of distributors that sell their parts (like nearly every other product manufacturer).

All returned parts must go through the distributor first. Distributors then have the option to send the parts back to Gates so they can investigate the part to find any fault with workmanship/quality.

I don't know where it goes from there. I bought my kit through Amazon.com and they are already refunding me the cost of the kit. I'm going to go collect the parts of it, stick them in a box and mail it out, so I'll keep that in mind for updating this thread.

'03 SVTF
Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #36
limeyrider
Focus Enthusiast

I had a problem with some motorcycle parts and never got anything to happen until I called my state's attorney general office and asked about out of state consumer protection and warranty liability. It took exactly ONE letter from the AG...
Hopefully you won't have to do that *fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rent View Post
Mini-update :

Was able to get in contact with a Gates customer call center. Gates works through a series of distributors that sell their parts (like nearly every other product manufacturer).

All returned parts must go through the distributor first. Distributors then have the option to send the parts back to Gates so they can investigate the part to find any fault with workmanship/quality.

I don't know where it goes from there. I bought my kit through Amazon.com and they are already refunding me the cost of the kit. I'm going to go collect the parts of it, stick them in a box and mail it out, so I'll keep that in mind for updating this thread.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #37
TheRealDeeej
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107049
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 TheRealDeeej Good Standing Member
Yeah I'm taking off the Gates tensioner and putting on a Ford one.. Then going back to O'Reillys to work it all out. Hopefully my valves aren't messed up..
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #38
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
I cracked open the kit I bought on RockAuto to see what I got, and it appears I have this revised cast piece.....I'm not thinking I want to see about getting a different tensioner to use with the rest of the kit

Old 04-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #39
limeyrider
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtinfocus View Post
I cracked open the kit I bought on RockAuto to see what I got, and it appears I have this revised cast piece.....I'm not thinking I want to see about getting a different tensioner to use with the rest of the kit

I talked with a long time buddy (retired engineer) who helped me put on my T-belt a year ago (couple pics to be posted soon). I told him about the problems and he didn't see any issues with the idler pulley spacer being cast but any torsion on the cast tensioner would be bad ju-ju. Primarily, the steel part can handle a good bit of flex before anything bad. AND c-f-m has the Motorcraft part still listed and the pic still shows the old design, the only bad being it's an extra expense but at $64 it's cheep insurance.

He also looked at the pics and said there's a good chance it's sintered metal (fine powder poured into a mold and compressed into a solid piece) Not nearly strong as forged.

My kit from 14 months ago had the same "This kit is not returnable if plastic wrap is open" on it. Your belt and idler pulley should be good to go but if you know anyone with a heat shrink wrapper you're all set for a refund...(?)

Last edited by limeyrider; 04-20-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #40
limeyrider
Focus Enthusiast

*Starting 'grass roots' effort....

Guys and girls, fellow fanatics...I say we all start emailing, calling and even writing paper letters to Gates and letting them know we are NOT happy with the 'revision.' Even for our other vehicles and non-interference engines. If we raise enough stink there's a good chance they'll go back to a reliable design. Tell friends and share addresses and numbers. Talk to retailers, too.

Gates Corp.
1551 Wewatta Street
Denver, CO 80202

Phone: 303-744-1911

Gates communication dept link...

Bookmarks & Social Networks