New T-Belt Tensioner Failure... :( - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
TheRealDeeej
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107049
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 TheRealDeeej Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yeah, literally that same exact thing happened to me. Looks like I'll be contacting Gates as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent View Post

I can't say I will buy Gates parts or recommend them to anyone at this point. I'll be using OEM for rebuilding.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using FF Mobile
Trouble there is, I think Gates is the OEM supplier to Ford.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
tigercrazy718
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96331
What I Drive: 2008 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 tigercrazy718 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul View Post
Trouble there is, I think Gates is the OEM supplier to Ford.
now this is something i would like to know, because this and realdeejs troubles have me swaying towards buying the stuff from tousely
Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
rent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12823
What I Drive: 03' SVTF

FF Reputation: 2 rent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
If they are, they are producing two cosmetically different parts. The Ford tensioner I took off of the car was easily disassembled. The Gates tensioner in the TCK294 kit was a solid, stout piece that was not easily broken down into components and I did not take it apart in any form or fashion. My initial impression of the gates parts were that they were much higher quality than OEM, but this turned out not being the case.

The bearings may be the same, but the assembly is different is what I guess I'm trying to point out.

'03 SVTF
Old 04-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
rent
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
The way the tensioner is designed can be misleading. All the slack in the belt needs to be on the tensioner side, and then you rotate the cam in the tensioner so the arrow/line lines up with the slot, torque it down, and it's good.

But if you succesfully fire and run the engine, that arrow and slot will now be out of alignment. It's still actually holding the correct tension, it's just some design quirk about the tensioner I don't understand. I learned about this from an extremely knowledeable guy.

I can imagine a few very meticulous people re-checking belt tension after running the engine, thinking the tension is off, and then adding more tension to get it back in "spec" and ending up with way more belt tension than is appropriate.

If anybody does contact Gates about these tensioner failings, please bring up this point with them. I'm 99% sure but I'd love to hear it direct from the experts.
I knew about this from research before doing the belt. When I assembled everything, I did not add additional tension to compensate, I put it together and manually rotated the crankshaft to ensure timing remained correct after numerous rotations.

The mechanic told me everything I did was correct and there is no reason for the failure beyond a faulty part. He is ASE certified so I could probably have him write it up if I asked nicely, but I somehow think I'm going to get the big "piss off" from Gates over this. :banghead:

'03 SVTF
Old 04-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #16
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

I'm almost sure it's true, check out their website. They are not some fly by night parts company, they're a gigantic multipronged industry and they do boast of being a major supplier to OEMs. I think Motorcraft mostly means Ford engineers did thorough testing and decided that these parts were the best compromise between price and performance/longevity, and then probably paid some licensing fees to be able to brand them as "Motorcraft" as a symbol of quality for customers.

I think with the three t-belt jobs I've done on that era of Zetec, all original parts on the car looked identical to the Gates parts I was putting back in.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rent View Post
If they are, they are producing two cosmetically different parts.
Interesting, I might be misremembering that they were identical, and I'm not positive they were all on original equipment still. I know my car probably didn't have factory timing stuff in it since the previous owner put in and adjustable cam gear and I suspect he did the belt too just for shits and giggles (even though the car only had 20K miles on it if that).
Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
rent
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm almost sure it's true, check out their website. They are not some fly by night parts company, they're a gigantic multipronged industry and they do boast of being a major supplier to OEMs. I think Motorcraft mostly means Ford engineers did thorough testing and decided that these parts were the best compromise between price and performance/longevity, and then probably paid some licensing fees to be able to brand them as "Motorcraft" as a symbol of quality for customers.

I think with the three t-belt jobs I've done on that era of Zetec, all original parts on the car looked identical to the Gates parts I was putting back in.
Then they have definitely changed something as the tensioner I removed was drastically different in appearance from the OEM. Check rock auto for gates part # 43003 and the other tensioners. They work the same way by turning the tension adjustment with a hex key, but are most definitely not the same.

'03 SVTF
Old 04-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
shlbygt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23315
What I Drive: 04 SVT PWSC EAP

FF Reputation: 5 shlbygt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I purchased a Gates kit recently from Rockauto, though haven't installed it. The kit mentioned that the tensioner is a newly revised design and it did not look like an original Ford one I had sitting around or the new Ford replacement I had also purchased. Did any of the posters here have kits that mentioned the revised Gates tensioner?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
rent
Focus Enthusiast

Gates :

Goodyear/This is what the OEM tensioner looked like that I took off the car

Granted, the picture shows the Gates tensioner from the backside, but it is still drastically different than the others in appearance.

'03 SVTF

Bookmarks & Social Networks