engine shaking while idling - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-24-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
merlin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 25922
FF Reputation: 1 merlin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
engine shaking while idling

2000 ford focus w/ zetec engine 50,000 miles
replaced spark plugs and the engine began to idle rough and the check engine light came on, ie shaking the car, rechecked plugs, added fuel cleaner and regapped plugs and even replaced old plugs into car and still idled rough
think it might not be a problem with the spark plugs, and just happened to coincide with the spark plug replacement, could it be the egr valve? any suggestion? thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
summer03
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 25912
FF Reputation: 1 summer03 Good Standing Member
My car is doing almost the same thing... I don't notice the whole car shaking though, just the engine and the steering wheel. The check engine light hasn't come on, and my spark plugs are fine too. I only have 24,000 miles on mine though.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #3
mattyd826
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 17144
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 mattyd826 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i have the same exact problem and have replaced almost every related part (spark plugs/wires, coil, injectors, filters, belt, etc) and even put stock parts back in. i have almost 50k on an '01 and i couldnt say when things started to get worse. i have had a cel for at least 6 months now with 2 codes, cylinder 4 miss and system lean mixture. now the engine vibrates harsh and runs horrible through most of the driving range. when im idling if the clutch is in then the rattling sound is quiter, but when its out its louder than anything and you can feel it inside the car. i dont even know what to make of all this anymore, i have pretty much ignored it for the past couple months bc i cant think of anything else to do.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:38 AM   #4
blue2000se
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 14696
FF Reputation: 1 blue2000se Good Standing Member
My wifes 2000 se with 73000 miles just started doing something similar - not running on all cylinders. It occurs at start up and usually goes away after reving the engine slightly a few times. But no "Engine Light" comes on.

On more than one occasion it takes a couple of minutes of driving before it disappears. I'm thinking maybe an injector isn't firing. I'm hoping it isn't a plug misfiring because that means raw gas is being sent through the catalytic converter - and they aren't cheap to replace.

The plug/wires were replaced 10k miles ago. I've been meaning to pull the plugs to see if they need to be regapped. Anyone have/hear off injector problems? TIA
Old 07-30-2005, 12:31 PM   #5
BornAgainFordOwner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9408
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZX3 PZEV 5Sp.

FF Reputation: 7 BornAgainFordOwner Good Standing Member
If it appears to be missing on one cylinder, loosen all four spark plug wires then, with the engine running, remove one spark plug wire at a time until one doesn't make any difference when its removed. When doing this, don't ground your other hand since you may get a shock. If one cylinder does appear to be bad, try swapping plugs first then injectors next to see if the problem cylinder moves. If you swap the injectors, I believe there's an "O" ring that should be replaced.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
Blurvfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15299
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Wine Cooled Eng.

FF Reputation: 54 Blurvfocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Is this an idle-only problem? Does the thing run all right off idle? Are there any helpful codes (you might get a code telling you which cylinder is missfiring, and, maybe why).

Last minute thought- the spark plugs are way down there. The boots are long and it's very easy to miss the plug when you push them on. They feel like they're on, b/c you feel the rubber locking into the hole in the valve cover- but one may have missed the plug. #4 can be tricky b/c the wire is so short you can't start out with the boot lined up with the plug to begin with. Take a good close look at the boots where they fit into the valve cover. If any are the least bit crooked, you missed the plug.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:29 AM   #7
PDQEagle
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9356
What I Drive: 03 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 PDQEagle Great Standing Member
Make sure the plug wires are on the proper plugs. If it happened after you changed plugs, that's the most likely problem. Agree on prior reply about boots not being all the way on. Ref injectore (don't consider this your problem) you can hear them clicking. Place a long screwdriver on the injector, and your ear on the other end, and you'll hear it clicking. Good luck
Old 07-31-2005, 05:32 PM   #8
rockNroll=ASP=
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 26174
What I Drive: Black 05 ZX4, Black 04 CBR 1000RR

FF Reputation: 1 rockNroll=ASP= Good Standing Member
Have the car scanned, you might find there's a throttle position sensor code. Even though there's not a recall, ford has had problems with them on that year and they actually don't sell a new sensor for it...you buy a whole throttle boddy unit with a different design sensor on it. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2005, 12:12 PM   #9
Woggie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 26496
What I Drive: 2000 Focus LX

FF Reputation: 1 Woggie Good Standing Member
I have the same kind of problem, but after i drive for a bit it smooths out and runs fine. Is there something else I should check? CPU? Something in the fuel system?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:43 AM   #10
PURO LATINO
Focus Addict

Fan#: 26020
What I Drive: 2000 SILVER ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 PURO LATINO Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MINE AS SOON I AS INSTALLED MY HEADERS, PUT IN AN O2 CHEATER BUT STILL HAVE PROBLEM SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT !!! I'M GOING NUTS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHATS WRONG!!!
Zetec Crew #57
GO RED SOX!!!
anybody ever wonder why we rub a prisoners arm with alcohol before giving a lethal injection, it's not gonna matter if he gets an infection!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->