racing stripes (vinyl) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
racing stripes (vinyl)

hello. I ordered vinyl racing stripes. today i tried doing it myself. measured out the hood and read instructions. i ended up ruining 1 stripe because i scratched it up and wrinkled it up. so mad. However I did not read the instructions all the way. I must be very inpatient. I didn't wrap my squeegue with a towel so i scratched up the vinyl so it's ruined.
I'm steaming now so I gave up for now and when I calm down in a few weeks i'll try again. The point is its really hard. and no one, not even my friends seem to want to help me. should i really bite the bullet an pay some random people to do it for me??

dklhahdflasdfh;lasdfhaldsfh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
mishka
Focus Addict

i watched so many videos and the made it look so easy. and I dont have a garage and even though its warm outside the wind always get in the way. so many damn obstacles to worry about. i mean i just wasted like more than 2 hours of my life. handwashed the hood and trunk and measure out the hood and then ruined 1 stripe. fortunately they are double stripes and the kit came with 8 of them all different lengths. so I think I can still make it work but there is no way i'm gonna be able to do a good job on the whole car. i mean i've nevver done it before. kkkkkk why is it sooo harrrdddd
Old 04-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
dodgeguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85952
What I Drive: 2009 black SES

FF Reputation: 1 dodgeguy Good Standing Member
uhhh practice makes perfect?

Just kidding. I feel your pain. There is nothing worse than spending good money on something that gets ruined in the process, or doesn't turn out the way you want.

If they aren't too expensive, get another set and try again. You obviously learned some things the first time around. Maybe the second will go better.

If you get it right, you will have a feeling of accomplishment.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Big vinyls are HARD when it's just you by yourself. It's much much easier with an extra pair of hands... needless to say though, read more carefully next time, too.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
mishka
Focus Addict

this is the item i purchased
it came with 8 precut 8" stripes. the one i ruined was one of the smallest stripes. since i only paid $65 maybe I ccan just use it as a learning tool. And yes I should get another set of hands and yes I should read more carefully.

But stll its hard. uhhh i cant wait until it's done ... gonna look sick i think
Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #6
ShogunSamurai2005
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91057
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus 5 dr

FF Reputation: 1 ShogunSamurai2005 Good Standing Member
I know what youre going through. Im always that someone who likes to do things myself on my car. When i decided to do the carbon fiber vinyl on my car I knew i couldnt do it myself. Always best to let the professionals do it for you.

Dan
Old 04-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #7
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Using water helps a lot for big vinyl. It gives you a chance to move the decal, get out wrinkles, and bubbles. Once you get it fixed you just let it dry for a few hours and your done.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
mishka
Focus Addict

i saved the "ruined" vinyl stripe. Can it be recovered or at least used for some small bits? I got really mad and started pushing the bubbles in attempt to fix it caveman style and I think it may be wrinkle permanently. The worst part is I dont think Ill have enough to do the whole top of the car now but I guess I could order more from ebay.

I need to try this again and give ya'll an update because I had it planned out in my mind how I would do it, and then, didn't. Now I know what I need to do. I will keep trying :)
Old 04-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I did fender stripes, and it was a PITA. The first one is obvious, but after a few tries, it came out pretty nice. I suggest you ease the vinyl slowly, if you put it on in one big piece, it might look right for the first 5 minutes, but it's gonna go crazy with bubbles in 10. Just take your time, and do it on a good day. I used my hands, no tools or anything, and it came out fine. But yours is a much bigger application. Maybe watch more videos, and watch them a few times.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
God doesn't want you to ruin you car with racing stripes, hence the difficulties.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->