Tuning Solution (Injected Engineering) - Page 62 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #611
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
The benefit would be that the stock dyno wouldn't get cut off short of it's peak power, giving a more accurate before and after.
So you want to use the tune to remove the limiter in order to show the power without a tune

While I understand your logic, I have to also appreciate the irony.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #612
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
So you want to use the tune to remove the limiter in order to show the power without a tune

While I understand your logic, I have to also appreciate the irony.
The use of 4th gear is to try and facilitate the dynoing process. the power made at 6500 rpm would be the same in lower gears, it just so happens that near that rpm in 4th gear crosses the limiter. The power used would most likely be in lower gears anyway by those who have the tune, so I don't really understand your point.

Remove the limiter and dyno in 4th, or just dyno in a lower gear with an asterisk saying only to compare against the tune.

I sure as hell won't be in 4th gear at 6500rpm even with a tune, as it is the lower gears i truly care about (where removing the speed limiter isn't an issue).

This is just to try and get a more accurate idea of what the tune actually does. Anyone who knows anything about engines knows that the peak hp doesn't matter that much, but it is a number that sells. Saying "10HP increase!" wouldn't technically be accurate, because it's more of a way that the vehicle is dyno'd than the actual point to point increase on the power curve.

As a hypothetical, you could dyno in 5th gear and remove the speed limiter on the "tuned" version, which would surely give you a 30+hp increase due to the cutoff (as the stock would be cut off way short of its peak number).

That doesn't seem like a fair comparison.

Also, @Aron. I don't mean this to come off hypercritical; I just want to see what this can actually do. I have to say that looking at the graph that the curve looks much smoother, and the driving difference sounds pretty good from the first hand accounts given.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 05-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #613
Aric@Injected
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 113187
What I Drive: '13 Sonic Blue test pig

FF Reputation: 10 Aric@Injected Great Standing Member
Hypocritical or not.........I have thick skin. As far as other runs in a lower gear, I'll have to work on that next week. We did make multiple runs with limiter on, off, tuned, untuned, hood, up, hood down. I'll see if I can run by the office today, and upload some. If not, don't be surprised if I don't post these until Tuesday though.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #614
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron@Injected View Post
Hypocritical or not.........I have thick skin. As far as other runs in a lower gear, I'll have to work on that next week. We did make multiple runs with limiter on, off, tuned, untuned, hood, up, hood down. I'll see if I can run by the office today, and upload some. If not, don't be surprised if I don't post these until Tuesday though.
Oh great. No rush to get those, but it would be cool to see them eventually. Thanks for understanding.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #615
_RED_
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02

Fan#: 10712
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You do know that dyno'ing in a lower gear could artificially raise the numbers because it's not a 1to1 comparison

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
Moderator: Third Generation Ford Focus, DURATEC Ti-VCT GDI Performance Chat & Florida regional section
Old 05-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #616
Deesiel678
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105147
What I Drive: 2013 white SE hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Deesiel678 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
So I may have jumped the gun on my disappointment with the baseline. Aron emailed me a few graphs yesterday, and one labeled baseline seems to go to 164hp... initially I thought the label may have been a typo... Not sure if this was in 3rd gear with correction or in 4th with limiter removed. I guess I was too fixated on the peak number of the initial run.

So not much of a difference from the runs after the tune was loaded, BUT to be fair there were a few issues that my have prevented higher HP runs. More on that in a sec...

From what I recall of what Aric and Aron told me, the changes that were made were to timing (cam and spark), cooling (fan comes on sooner to try to keep it running cooler), and the closed looped to open loop fueling delay was removed. I could be wrong, but I don't think they have messed with fuel tables much yet; I believe there is some ECU logic they are still trying to figure out on this.

On the closed to open fueling delay, apparently there is a ~1500 RPM delay that the ECU uses to switch from closed loop to open loop fueling when going WOT... this is what causes the 'hesitation' that we notice when initially going WOT. They removed this delay; now when going WOT (or near WOT), it immediately switches to open loop. If you compare the pre-tune and post-tune run, you can see the initial increase in low end torque, then after about ~1500 RPM, they run about the same... that is the delay.

Also, they set the ecu to adjust timing over the entire rev range. By default, it made timing adjustments in the lower rpms, but stayed close to a set range in the upper rpms (I hope I explained that right) In the comparison graph, you can see torque pick up a bit around 4500 (likely from allowing the ecu to continue making timing adjustments), BUT my IATs were +40 over ambient so the ECU began pulling timing out. This is likely why there isn't much of a peak power difference between stock and tuned on the dyno. On the open road, I expect the difference to be more noticeable.. I'm thinking the IATs may not be as much of an increase over ambient. Now if it would just stop raining...
Old 05-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #617
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RED_ View Post
You do know that dyno'ing in a lower gear could artificially raise the numbers because it's not a 1to1 comparison

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
Right, which is why I said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
Remove the limiter and dyno in 4th, or just dyno in a lower gear with an asterisk saying only to compare against the tune.
Basically, the gain in peak appears to be mostly because they dyno'd in a gear where unfortunately the stock speed limiter kicks in. 99.9% of the time this wouldn't occur, and it isn't a true show of improvement.

As deesiel points out, there isn't that large of a difference in curves yet (at least from what I can gather).
Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #618
havok6927
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113248
What I Drive: 2012 Focus se hatchback 5spd black

FF Reputation: 1 havok6927 Good Standing Member
Diesel the sun is out and it's dry. GO PLAY!!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #619
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by havok6927 View Post
Diesel the sun is out and it's dry. GO PLAY!!!!

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 05-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #620
Aric@Injected
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 113187
What I Drive: '13 Sonic Blue test pig

FF Reputation: 10 Aric@Injected Great Standing Member

Here is a stock comparison of limiter vs no limiter

This is a comparison of tune vs stock without the limiter

Last but not least we can see another 1 HP gain when we make a pull with the hood up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->