Tuning Solution (Injected Engineering) - Page 162 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #1611
Zuesskroph
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103288
What I Drive: 2012 tuxedo black focus s

FF Reputation: 1 Zuesskroph Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
You'd likely need at least a full exhaust to get to 200, and even then I think you'd get close but not quite there. A good intake mani would certainly help things out, though.
We will have to see about the intake manifold hopefully I can order my test dummy mani soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #1612
yoshi1015
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115360
What I Drive: 2013 Black Ford Focus Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 1 yoshi1015 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ok everyone, the math isnt making sense to me.... I too want up to and over 200 but how?
for example: 3 in pipes with different headers 10 - 15 hp max ( i think 8 to 10 hp is more realistic)
Intake - 8 to 10hp max
Tune - 5 to 8hp max

so if the focus is 160hp stock then do the math in a best case scenario you may push 190 hp but I think that is unlikely. I think realistically 183hp

Help me someone to understand. I wish Injected would do a valid controlled dyno for everyone to see what is possible and what is real. I have seen these other so called dyno runs and it doesn't match what I here from other tuning shops... How can we get over 200hp realistically?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #1613
Ausv7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84217
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus, 1994 black F150

FF Reputation: 3 Ausv7 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicedz View Post
Celebrate her discharge with a trip to the dyno with daddy?
Would be so awesome :) i have 4 different dyno days set up
Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #1614
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi1015 View Post
ok everyone, the math isnt making sense to me.... I too want up to and over 200 but how?
for example: 3 in pipes with different headers 10 - 15 hp max ( i think 8 to 10 hp is more realistic)
Intake - 8 to 10hp max
Tune - 5 to 8hp max

so if the focus is 160hp stock then do the math in a best case scenario you may push 190 hp but I think that is unlikely. I think realistically 183hp

Help me someone to understand. I wish Injected would do a valid controlled dyno for everyone to see what is possible and what is real. I have seen these other so called dyno runs and it doesn't match what I here from other tuning shops... How can we get over 200hp realistically?
You are talking about getting 200hp at the flywheel, these pipe smokers are talking about 200hp at the wheels.

Can a NA 2L hit above 200? Yes. The S2000 did 240, but only after vtec kicked in, yo.

I'm already happy with the improved driveability. I'll throw more parts at it when they become available, but I'm looking for a reliable DD, not a temperamental dyno mule.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #1615
timeatkuu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112507
What I Drive: '12 BlCndy Ti Hatch DCT w/ Hand Pkg

FF Reputation: 1 timeatkuu Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiStick View Post
Can a NA 2L hit above 200? Yes. The S2000 did 240, but only after vtec kicked in, yo.
Hahaha... This is where I got the idea of 280BHP from (well that and the FIA S2000 stuff). If the S2K tuners could do it years ago, I'm sure Ford tuners can do it now (at least I hope so). Realistically, I'm only looking for 230WHP at most from a NA engine.

Right now I'm just taking it slow with mods and seeing what comes out to the market. I want to see what this tune can do in combination with Injected's intake and exhaust setup (it's coming soon right?).

My warranty will most likely be up in the spring of 2015. That's when I'll start pouring money into ITB's, cams, and the such... Or I'll just buy an RS if no one wants to develop the NA market... Hint hint Injected and/or Cosworth.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #1616
yoshi1015
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
This thread has become rainbows and unicorns.

Until somebody finds the fairy dust, the fact is that nobody has come remotely close to 200hp with intake, cat-back, and tune. That is fact and undisputed, and the highest numbers with that combo has been from an exceptionally strong motor from day one of which nearly nobody else has been close to. I'm prepared to eat my words if that combo is ever proven otherwise, but I'm definitely not going to hold my breath on it or even entertain the idea as all of the current data states otherwise.

Someone start posting graphs and get us back into the real-world. And fwiw, a dynomometer gives less than 2 effs of how aerodynamic a car is.
yes thank you for bringing us back to reality. I have talked to other tuning shops who have run many dyno test on our focus's and as you say no matter what combo you have you will not go to 200hp or over it. In fact I talked to turbo shops and they said to realistically expect a 40% gain i.e. 160 x 40% = 64 hp more which is 224hp now add some mods to that and gain maybe 15 hp more giving you a total of 239hp. Now this is without reworking the engine to handle this and also we are under the assumption that this motor can handle that kind of gain. I am told by these engine builders that going over 30% more hp than stock can run into all kinds of mechanical problems. ST motor is built to handle the added hp I am worried ours is not. Let me know if this makes some sense
Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #1617
yoshi1015
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiStick View Post
You are talking about getting 200hp at the flywheel, these pipe smokers are talking about 200hp at the wheels.

I'm already happy with the improved driveability. I'll throw more parts at it when they become available, but I'm looking for a reliable DD, not a temperamental dyno mule.
lol I agree I am going to do the same... so you love the Injected Tuner you bought? I want to get one for myself just want to make sure it is worth it. I too will throw more parts at mine to to enhance the drive :)
Old 06-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #1618
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
yes thank you for bringing us back to reality. I have talked to other tuning shops who have run many dyno test on our focus's and as you say no matter what combo you have you will not go to 200hp or over it. In fact I talked to turbo shops and they said to realistically expect a 40% gain i.e. 160 x 40% = 64 hp more which is 224hp now add some mods to that and gain maybe 15 hp more giving you a total of 239hp. Now this is without reworking the engine to handle this and also we are under the assumption that this motor can handle that kind of gain. I am told by these engine builders that going over 30% more hp than stock can run into all kinds of mechanical problems. ST motor is built to handle the added hp I am worried ours is not. Let me know if this makes some sense
Well, I'm not going as far as saying that 200 naturally aspirated hp will never happen on our motors as I'm sure it will. With enough money, time, and parts, it will most definitely happen. What I'm trying to say is that based on CAI, CBE, and tune-it will not happen. It doesn't follow common-sense rules nor is it within reason when compared to the current dyno graphs that members have posted with comparable bolt-ons.

As for working the bottom-end, we aren't going to know when it is necessary until some people start setting rods free. I'm not going to credit or discredit anyone that you've spoken to, but its just a fact that we don't really have an honest idea yet of how much power the engine can handle before it goes cray cray and starts failing. There is always theory and rhetoric, but until things are proven we just can't say 100%.

We have only recently begun to see tuning for the Ti-VCT, and that marks (for lack of better words) the infancy of these motors. Now that we can safely control the parameters we can begin to see the possibility of bigger and better engine modifications. Up until now it was nearly pointless to entertain the idea. Now we can set sights on 200, but it will take more parts than just a CAI and CBE to get there, along with a competent tuner and some time on the dyno/road datalogging.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #1619
yoshi1015
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Well, I'm not going as far as saying that 200 naturally aspirated hp will never happen on our motors as I'm sure it will. With enough money, time, and parts, it will most definitely happen. What I'm trying to say is that based on CAI, CBE, and tune-it will not happen. It doesn't follow common-sense rules nor is it within reason when compared to the current dyno graphs that members have posted with comparable bolt-ons.

As for working the bottom-end, we aren't going to know when it is necessary until some people start setting rods free. I'm not going to credit or discredit anyone that you've spoken to, but its just a fact that we don't really have an honest idea yet of how much power the engine can handle before it goes cray cray and starts failing. There is always theory and rhetoric, but until things are proven we just can't say 100%.

We have only recently begun to see tuning for the Ti-VCT, and that marks (for lack of better words) the infancy of these motors. Now that we can safely control the parameters we can begin to see the possibility of bigger and better engine modifications. Up until now it was nearly pointless to entertain the idea. Now we can set sights on 200, but it will take more parts than just a CAI and CBE to get there, along with a competent tuner and some time on the dyno/road datalogging.
well I am on board with everyone... I too want this real bad and love the idea we are all pushing the limits. I guess my first stop will be with injected and get the tuner to start with. Then I need advice what I should do next with my intake (should i wait for injected to finish theirs or is there a proven one that works) then what should I do on exhaust? go 3 in pipes maga flow, berla? who? then headers should I also wait on injected? I need a good starting point
Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #1620
timeatkuu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112507
What I Drive: '12 BlCndy Ti Hatch DCT w/ Hand Pkg

FF Reputation: 1 timeatkuu Good Standing Member
Quote:
well I am on board with everyone... I too want this real bad and love the idea we are all pushing the limits. I guess my first stop will be with injected and get the tuner to start with. Then I need advice what I should do next with my intake (should i wait for injected to finish theirs or is there a proven one that works) then what should I do on exhaust? go 3 in pipes maga flow, berla? who? then headers should I also wait on injected? I need a good starting point
Patience is the best starting point. Injected has just started to work on our cars... And on top of that, our cars have only been on the market for about 2 years now (?), so tuners are slowly showing their love for our cars.

I know the FR-S/BR-Z has been out for about the same amount of time and has way more support, but that car was designed for a tuner market (much like how the ST is getting more love than our NA Focii).

To really answer your question... Our brothers over on the FJ forums have a dyno thread showing that the K&N intake kit had the best gains. I'm not sure about what CBE is best though.

Bookmarks & Social Networks