'14 Fusion to get 1.5L 3-Cylinder Ecoboost - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
Focusblackzx5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95212
What I Drive: 2005 Black zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Focusblackzx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
All I wanted to show is that an engine that revs at 1900rpm on the highway will last longuer than another one that revs at 2600-3200. These days, north americans car compagnie are crazy about very little engine with a lot of power. But, I dont think these engines will last.

1.5L 3 cylinders turbo is too small for the size of the Fusion. Maybe it will be good during 5-6 years..but ouf I don't want to be the one who will pay for a blown up turbo on a small block like that after 7-8-9 year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #22
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLOW View Post
ive never heard any owners complain about them.
In 2012, Ford sold over 1 million Focus vehicles worldwide.

Mitsubishi sold quite a bit fewer Lancers.

If 1 million people are talking about their experiences with 1 car; what are the chances that you're actually going to hear the few thousand who bought one of the lowest rated compact cars of the last 6 years?
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #23
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
In 2012, Ford sold over 1 million Focus vehicles worldwide.

Mitsubishi sold quite a bit fewer Lancers.

If 1 million people are talking about their experiences with 1 car; what are the chances that you're actually going to hear the few thousand who bought one of the lowest rated compact cars of the last 6 years?
Here we go again... That one million number has been mentioned/quoted in this forum more in one week than any other subject or word... Yay!!!! for ford! And thanks to china for those numbers... now back to reality = Its just a number, it means its a cheap good car that mostly everyone can afford... Thats about it, it doesnt mean its the best car in the world... Out of those 1 mil i bet u 999,900 cant afford their dream car, my self included. Its just a reachable car to the masses = more sales and that doesnt make it the most reliable. And ford didnt "perfect" or better the compact car/focus by themselves or do they have an engine used by +4 other car makers not actually associated by ford. I dont troll the mitsu forums but i do have tons of friends with mitsus, back home mitsu is top five in sales, ford is no where near the top. And i wasnt talking about just the lancer, i just said mitsu in general... yeah yeah the lancer is in the same cat as the focus, i knew that. Thats what i meant when i said " IVE never heard any owners complain" any ways, to each their own and ill shut up now cause most people here seem to gang up and pick on anyone who bashes ford, carry on

Last edited by FLYLOW; 04-11-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #24
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Car and Driver (and everyone else) says it's a four, that they're just lopping off 0.1L from the 1.6:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/four-fo...four-cylinder/
Quote:
When Ford introduces its global-market Mondeo to China at next week’s Shanghai auto show, the car’s powertrain roster will include an all-new 1.5-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder. Astute observers may be asking why this new 1.5-liter turbo four exists when the blue-oval brand already produces a 1.6-liter turbo four. It’s simple: Ford has grand plans for China, where significant tax breaks are given to vehicles powered by engines that displace 1.5 liters or less. The Dearborn-based manufacturer expects Asian and Pacific markets to make up 30 percent of its global sales by 2020, with China making up a large chunk of that pie. Closer to home, this engine will be added to the Fusion‘s powertrain lineup for 2014.

Yes, it will be added to the Fusion’s powertrain lineup, rather than replacing the 1.6-liter. So for 2014, the Fusion will be available with a 1.5-liter EcoBoost four, a 1.6-liter EcoBoost four, a 2.0-liter EcoBoost four, a naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-cylinder, and the Atkinson-cycle 2.0-liter four used in the hybrid systems of the Fusion hybrid and Energi plug-in. The 1.5 will be available only with a six-speed automatic, while the 1.6 will be paired exclusively with a six-speed manual. This will allow Ford to allocate more 1.6-liter EcoBoosts to the Escape, where demand for the engine has surprised even Ford. (The crossover also offers the naturally aspirated 2.5-liter and the 2.0-liter EcoBoost.)

As far as the engine itself, Ford revealed very few details. It will be built at the company’s Craiova, Romania, production facility before being shipped to the U.S. and other markets this summer. Ford says that the 1.5 will “provide similar horsepower and torque performance” to the 1.6-liter, while delivering improved fuel economy. The new powerplant incorporates some features developed and introduced in the brand’s 1.0-liter EcoBoost three-cylinder, such as an integrated exhaust manifold that Ford claims will allow the engine to warm up more quickly..
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 78k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune

Last edited by swansong; 04-12-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Found better info
Old 04-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
Car and Driver (and everyone else) says it's a four, that they're just lopping off 0.1L from the 1.6:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/four-fo...four-cylinder/
Still... Its tiny

Old 04-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
Gregd
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86241
What I Drive: 1990 F150

FF Reputation: 1 Gregd Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusblackzx5 View Post
All I wanted to show is that an engine that revs at 1900rpm on the highway will last longuer than another one that revs at 2600-3200. These days, north americans car compagnie are crazy about very little engine with a lot of power. But, I dont think these engines will last.

1.5L 3 cylinders turbo is too small for the size of the Fusion. Maybe it will be good during 5-6 years..but ouf I don't want to be the one who will pay for a blown up turbo on a small block like that after 7-8-9 year.
I am not conviced this it true. I agree that a fusion may be to heavy for a 1.5. I drove Mitsubishi turbo engines for a few years. Put 230k miles on a used 1.6 sohc turbo, and around 160k miles on a used 1.6 dohc turbo. Reved the piss out of them day in and day out. Never had a turbo failure useing regular castrol GTX. I grow tired of all this turbo failure talk. Where is the real result of I bought Car X and turbo went bad costing me x dollars . Never hear it. And when you do it's almost always a modified car . Operator error.
It is nice to hear a good report back about a new Lancer. I am surprised they are even selling cars in the USA today. No sales = the next SABB. Regardless of turning 1.8k or 3.5 k out on the highway the motor is going to outlast the car. And most likely 3 transmisions if you keep driving it. Report back when you hit 500k miles to tell me your 1800 rpm on the highway car still has to original transmission.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #27
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
And what engine is better 150,000 miles down the road? What engine would stress less in the long run? What engine requires less maint because its na? What engine is prob maxed out running at very hot temps most of the time? What engine has the best warranty? Have you ever owned a small turbo engine?

Also you get maxed tq at 1600 and thats it, then it all down hill from there you dont need 2 seconds of low end tq on highway where 70-90% of driving happens. Expecting a sudden boost pull and then itll prob fall flat. Like when you’re masturbating, at climax and the damn phone rings.
Way too much personal information at the end there. The proof will be in the pudding, i.e. the finished product. If the EcoBoost 3 can drop enough pounds off the Fusion curb weight compared to the other engines and produce better fuel economy it could be nice. Max power and torque are a bit better than the 2.5L four in the Fusion now. While torque does drop from the max at low rpm it's not exactly dropping like a stone in curves I've seen.

Where this engine could be really nice is in the Focus because it has a lot more torque and a sizable amount of power more than the 2.0L we have now. It's a question if it would be lighter though because even though it's very compact it's an iron (not aluminum) block and it adds a turbocharger and all the stuff associated with that.

Quote:
This lines up with other news about the Chinese-market Mondeo being offered with a new 1.5-liter EcoBoost – a derivative of the 1.0-liter triple that will come to North America under the hood of the Fiesta. In the Chinese application, the larger three-pot engine produces 177 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque, which is very close to the current 1.6-liter inline-four's output numbers of 178 hp and 184 lb-ft.
Quote:
2013 FORD FOCUS
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
BODY
Construction Unitized steel body
Final assembly location Michigan Assembly Plant, Wayne
, Mich.
POWERTRAIN AND CHASSIS
ENGINE
Type 2.0-liter Ti-VCT I-4
Manufacturing location Dearborn, Mich.
Configuration Aluminum block and head
Valvetrain DOHC, four valves per cylinder, twin indep
endent variable camshaft timing
(Ti-VCT)
Bore x stroke 3.44 x 3.27 in.
Displacement 122.0 cu. in./1,999 cc
Compression ratio 12.0:1
Horsepower 160 @ 6,500 rpm
Torque 146 lb.-ft. @ 4,450 rpm
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #28
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
And what engine is better 150,000 miles down the road? What engine would stress less in the long run? What engine requires less maint because its na? What engine is prob maxed out running at very hot temps most of the time? What engine has the best warranty? Have you ever owned a small turbo engine?

Also you get maxed tq at 1600 and thats it, then it all down hill from there you dont need 2 seconds of low end tq on highway where 70-90% of driving happens. Expecting a sudden boost pull and then itll prob fall flat. Like when you’re masturbating, at climax and the damn phone rings.
it maintains max tq from 1600 almost all the way to redline.
no i havent owned a small turbo engine, have you?

Quote:
I would pick the one with 10 years/160 000km/100 000miles warranty on the powertrain ( motor, direction, everything that toutch oil)

I have near 300km on the odo with 1/3 of the gastank and it does 0-100kmh in 7.9 seconds.

I don't want to bash this engine but a turbo on a 3 cylinder with like 5 years of warranty..good luck in 6-7-8-9 years if the turbo decides to blow up... If mitsubishi gives to customers the best warranty, it's because their cars don't break and theirs engines are tanks.

Fords motors like the duratec are solid engines, 2.0L and the 2.3L. I loved my focus, was tough to trade it ahah :). I would'nt buy a car with a small engine with no end torque and less than 4 cylinders. The current focus has the perfect engine and I hope they will not delete it in the futur for those boosted cola cans.
the ecoboost engines have proven very reliable. remember when ford did those crazy endurance tests on the 3.5L ecoboost in their offroad rally truck (i think they ran it in the Baja 1000 or something)

Quote:

in theory an engine like the 1.5 turbo, with so much low down torque could rev even less on the hwy, but probably not because you would get crap mileage if always in boost. however, most engine are more efficient at higher loads (lower pumping losses). thats how these things work. on the hwy, with no boost, the engine is working hard and is efficient, and when you need the power, Turbo!

for the escape and fusion, the 1,6L ecoboost are the fuel economy kings in those classes.

Last edited by thenorm; 04-13-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #29
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
it maintains max tq from 1600 almost all the way to redline.
no i havent owned a small turbo engine, have you?
only time and an independant dyno will confirm that...

and yes i have, my gc had a td04-13g (tiny as hell) and ived logged like 3k miles in a 09 cooper s.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #30
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Surprise. First I've heard of this engine. Perhaps Ford will also put it in the Focus for the '14 model year?

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/09/2...hree-cylinder/
Get out & push, huh= LOL.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks