Anyone actually have the DCT / transmission grinding or rattle noise go away on its own after break in period? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
joepring
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109825
What I Drive: 2013 SE Silver SDN

FF Reputation: 1 joepring Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Anyone actually have the DCT / transmission grinding or rattle noise go away on its own after break in period?

All -

I know this issue has been discussed ad nauseum, but I've combed through as many posts as I can find, and I can't get a sense as to whether there is or isn't a percentage of users who do have the DCT / transmission / clutch grinding or clatter noise actually go away after a break in period.

Obviously there are some who keep getting the noise after many miles, and there are others who never had the noise. But is there anyone out there who had the noise at first but it went away on its own after the break in period?

Just wondering whether there is any cause for hope that it will resolve itself on my 2013 FF SE. Or whether the only way it will go away is having the clutch assembly replaced.

Thanks

Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
kjl2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97883
What I Drive: 2012 se black

FF Reputation: 1 kjl2012 Good Standing Member
Mine changed at 12500 miles not a peep from the dct. It went from lots of noise to a car im going to keep for 200000 miles.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1195
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 5 dbenney Good Standing Member
I hate to hear all the problems people are experiencing with this DCT. I haave a '12 built in july '12 and have about 20k miles on it and have not had 1 problem with mine at all. I simply love this car. It is the best focus I have ever owned. I had a 2000 ZTS 5speed that i had 275,000 miles on when i got rid of it and a 2002 SE lease and a 2003 SE that had 34,000 when I got rid of it.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27073
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 8 SilverPony2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have a 2013 SE with about 3100 miles on it. Have never had any issues with the DCT.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
No grinding or rattles whatsoever, just a lag problem that mostly went away at 7500 miles. The car has almost 17k on it now and it been pretty consistent so far.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
JMD787
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91481
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ti 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 JMD787 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Mine went away. Used to sound like you were scooping a bucket of ice when it was shifting. Now it's totally silent. Never brought it to the dealer outside of the normal updates that everyone else got. 16k miles. Not sure when it went away, I just kind of noticed one day that it wasn't making the noise anymore.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #7
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
I love a good rant

Another good rant page... I like.

My Rant: Start

Except, I have no issues. I got it at 4 miles, did the test drive, bought it at 11 miles on the OD with my mileage on it.
Slammed gears, did mushy shifting, kind of worried me, I knew nothing of this forum at the time and I did NOT treat it with kid gloves but I didn't race it either which has always been MY way to break in a new car. No steady speeds, some occasional full power starts to full legal speeds plus - say 70-80.

As the manual says (2013). After 250 or 300 Miles for the learning (can't find it right now). It did smooth out greatly. I have about 1400 miles on it now and it is getting better all the time, smoother and the low speed shudder is just about gone but I have to admit, I don't drive parking lots a great deal, my goal is to leave them without hitting the morons or having them hit me.

Others have real issues that I can't deny but my toy keeps getting better all the time. I know that some hate the DCT but I absolutely love it. I have been a slushbox guy all my life with manual envy in that I love the way they connect the engine to the wheels, it just feels right in a drivers kind of way and I am not a weekend warrior in any sense of the imagination but I do love to drive.

I have NO strange noises, clunking, grinding that I cannot attribute to the electronically controlled servos and ALL sounds are muted. It took this Forum to actually make me pay attention to them and listen. My results are very unimpressive to say the least. My DCT rocks, I love it and it gets better all the time.

If it helps / or not, I will give some opinion here.
This is not an automatic with a torque converter, it's a computer controlled manual trying to simulate an automatic and it doesn't work that well in my opinion. I believe that a lot of the bashing but, not all of it, is in the way it behaves.
They were trying to make it smooth in all driving conditions and that is not possible at the the present time - those in Europe are used to manuals but many here are not, they don't feel the same at all and I believe that most who hate it just hate it because of the 'manual' feel but, I could be wrong, my opinion only.

I absolutely love the DCT, it's how I always wished the automatics to behave and run but your mileage/opinion may vary. Again, I have no objectionable noises whatsoever and the whole car seems to be settling in with me like a favorite glove, firm but supple and very responsive. I love my car.

My Rant: End
Did I mention that I love my car?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
joepring
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109825
What I Drive: 2013 SE Silver SDN

FF Reputation: 1 joepring Good Standing Member
Thanks All -

Again, I'm most interested in whether anyone who DID have the distinct noise at first actually had it disappear on it's own. So far I count two who seem to have experienced what mine does (2013 FF SE) and had it go away. Any other takers?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101824
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 nseah Good Standing Member
Mine had the lagging issue, and a lot of clutch slip in the beginning, to the point where whenever id make a sharp turn (say driving up a parking garage) the entire car would shudder. I don't think it's the same griding issue a lot of other people have been having.

Anyways, the lagging issue is gone now, i noticed after 13000km or so it stopped doing it. Now I find I have some clutch slip (apparently its called "microslip") which makes me worry about future conditions, but as of now even during the slips its running buttery smooth.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepring View Post
All -
Obviously there are some who keep getting the noise after many miles, and there are others who never had the noise. But is there anyone out there who had the noise at first but it went away on its own after the break in period?
I have a 2013 Titanium which I bought new and currently have 7k miles on it.

In the beginning, my DCT did exhibit a chatter only noticeable at low speeds. It also exhibited shift hesitation, mostly during downshifts when accelerating. These are only things I've noticed and I'm not complaining because it did not affect my driving.

Now, after 7k miles, the hesitation has disappeared but the chatter is still there- it's just not as loud as it was before. Sometimes I have to strain to hear it, but it's there. Also, I've noticed a slight shudder during the 1-2 gear launch. Again, it doesn't affect my driving so it's not a big deal, but it's something I do notice.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my 2013 DCT's performance so far.

Bookmarks & Social Networks