bought me another car and focus going bye bye - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #31
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
IMO, anyone who bashes someone else for buying a V6 Mustang hasn't driven a Mustang in 5 or more years and has no idea how much better value the V6 is over the V8 now.

I had a 2003 V6 Mustang and if it weren't for the fact that i was saving almost $3k/yr in insurance costs as a young adult under 25 years of age, I definitely should have gotten a GT.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #32
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
IMO, anyone who bashes someone else for buying a V6 Mustang hasn't driven a Mustang in 5 or more years and has no idea how much better value the V6 is over the V8 now.

I had a 2003 V6 Mustang and if it weren't for the fact that i was saving almost $3k/yr in insurance costs as a young adult under 25 years of age, I definitely should have gotten a GT.
I really dislike the pre 2011 V6's. They're just so damn slow. They are cheap and RWD though.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #33
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Memberbesthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
By your own logic, you've made the worst purchase in this thread by having a WRX.

You could've bought a used GT Premium with 420hp for nearly the same price you'd pay for a used 265hp '11 WRX Premium today.

Stop trolling.
by the by, i have 2 kids, i needed a functional back seat and i bought my car brand new for less than any new GT was to be had in 2011. nice try though. didn't buy a premium, bought a base, it was 25k OTD, my payment is almost nothing every month.

Quote:

early mustang v6s were probably some of the worst cars ever made, the newer ones are quite a bit better. i actually drove a 2012 premium v6 for about 4 days as a rental. it was a fun car. comfy, nice to drive, rear visibility was a problem, but it is in most coupes. but if you want to play the numbers vs performance game...the v6 does not and will never compare. thats why they offer two versions. buy what you can afford and whats fun. thats the name of the game. the v6 is a huge upgrade compared to a focus though. which is the end game here, because thats what the OP is coming from. and he's definitely made it look a ton better. but at the end of the day, put the same money into a GT you did to a V6 and you'll be over 1 second faster. in muscle cars, there is no replacement for displacement.

FWIW: i'm not trolling. facts are facts. i still think it's funny you say bolt on+tune+slicks V6. gears are not bolt on. he also probably had close to 2k in just parts, plus gears, plus tune, plus slicks. you're looking at close to 8-9k to do it correctly. since gears and tuning can't really be done yourself. also last i checked slicks and skinnies aren't cheap by any means. so for that price, with your value equation he should have bought a GT. also, i haven't lost to a new gen mustang...period. thats 5 v6s, 3 gts. a bolt on gt, untuned gave me the best run from a 15 roll. but it wasn't close. but my car is way past stage2. so take that with a grain of salt.

is what it is. OP, can't wait to see what else you do to your car.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #34
replica81
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
by the by, i have 2 kids, i needed a functional back seat and i bought my car brand new for less than any new GT was to be had in 2011. nice try though. didn't buy a premium, bought a base, it was 25k OTD, my payment is almost nothing every month.
Right, but you've put a lot of money into the car to get to base GT performance. The point was brought up when modifying a V6 was pointless because the GT exists. It was a similar argument, redirected at your current car.
Quote:
early mustang v6s were probably some of the worst cars ever made, the newer ones are quite a bit better. i actually drove a 2012 premium v6 for about 4 days as a rental. it was a fun car. comfy, nice to drive, rear visibility was a problem, but it is in most coupes. but if you want to play the numbers vs performance game...the v6 does not and will never compare. thats why they offer two versions. buy what you can afford and whats fun. thats the name of the game. the v6 is a huge upgrade compared to a focus though. which is the end game here, because thats what the OP is coming from. and he's definitely made it look a ton better. but at the end of the day, put the same money into a GT you did to a V6 and you'll be over 1 second faster. in muscle cars, there is no replacement for displacement.
The current V6 doesn't compare to what? Can you give us your criteria so we can understand your perspective? My primary criteria is price. With my definition, the V6 has many competitors at $20k and pretty much beats all of them mercilessly.

Yes, we agree, again, for the third time, the GT is faster dollar for dollar. No one has presented anything to the contrary. It's fast. A friend of mine was banging out 11.8's with slicks and an email tune.

There actually IS a replacement for displacement. My 1995 GT was vastly slower than the current 3.7. My previous 4.6 2008 was about the same speed as the 3.7. The current V6 is about as fast as a 99' Cobra. That's pretty kick ass.
Quote:
FWIW: i'm not trolling. facts are facts. i still think it's funny you say bolt on+tune+slicks V6. gears are not bolt on. he also probably had close to 2k in just parts, plus gears, plus tune, plus slicks. you're looking at close to 8-9k to do it correctly. since gears and tuning can't really be done yourself. also last i checked slicks and skinnies aren't cheap by any means. so for that price, with your value equation he should have bought a GT. also, i haven't lost to a new gen mustang...period. thats 5 v6s, 3 gts. a bolt on gt, untuned gave me the best run from a 15 roll. but it wasn't close. but my car is way past stage2. so take that with a grain of salt.

is what it is. OP, can't wait to see what else you do to your car.
Ok.

Airraid intake - $270
Tune - $379
FRPP Gears - $170
Install for Gears - $450.
DOT drag radials with wheels - $750 (brenspeed.com)

I'm at $2,019. So with a V6 being about $18,500, add in my numbers there, and we're at under $21k for a high 12 car. I dunno, seems good to me.

I'm not really sure what we're debating here. Your points are that 1) a GT is faster. Agreed. 2) a GT will be faster with mods. Agreed. 3) the Gt has more room to grow with modification. Agreed.

I'm sure your WRX is quite quick. It seems to have a lot of modification.

Soo...what are we doing with all these posts? lol
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #35
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Memberbesthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
killing my work day on the internet. lol

the replacement for displacement is time...that doesn't count lol!

i meant compare to a GT.

also for what it's worth. i put money into my car to get to porsche and higher end performance. the look on a guy in a 911s face when you blow his doors off on a low end pull in a car that cost 1/4 is priceless.

your numbers are slightly off but im leaving work...is what it is. haha i dont have the energy to internet argue anymore today.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #36
replica81
Focus Addict

Lol, word. Burn up that work time!
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #37
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
also for what it's worth. i put money into my car to get to porsche and higher end performance. the look on a guy in a 911s face when you blow his doors off on a low end pull in a car that cost 1/4 is priceless.
You should have just bought a Porsche. Even if you reach those levels of performance, you've still only got 1/4 of a car compared to a Porsche.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #38
sjdwales
Wales!!

Fan#: 46854
What I Drive: 11 mustang

FF Reputation: 13 sjdwales Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
To be honest I don't care about power aspect right now. Get getting great gas mileage for only city driving. 19-20mpg and if I want to have fun I can jut let back end spin out. This car has double power of my 05 focus st. I pushed the focus hard all day long, don't have to do that anymore. Was considering tune intake and exhaust but it can wait a while. To be honest I don't need power. I got enough/perhaps too much now. And people who auto x/race prefer v6 because of better weight distributions.

I'm going for cosmetic for now. Need to learn the car with current power before getting more. Besides v6 is same power as 2010 gt which costs $5k more. In a couple year I can always just spend $4k and have 500hp from just a supercharger. Don't hear people cry about bmw's with v6 engines.

I was going to buy focus st, until I saw my payments and though that. Il get mustang that has more power and have fun with rwd.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #39
redwake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100718
What I Drive: 00 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 redwake Good Standing Member
Blah blah blah...

Cool car bro!

My Car: http://tinyurl.com/8mpden8
Sr# 256.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #40
replica81
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdwales View Post
To be honest I don't care about power aspect right now. Get getting great gas mileage for only city driving. 19-20mpg and if I want to have fun I can jut let back end spin out. This car has double power of my 05 focus st. I pushed the focus hard all day long, don't have to do that anymore. Was considering tune intake and exhaust but it can wait a while. To be honest I don't need power. I got enough/perhaps too much now. And people who auto x/race prefer v6 because of better weight distributions.

I'm going for cosmetic for now. Need to learn the car with current power before getting more. Besides v6 is same power as 2010 gt which costs $5k more. In a couple year I can always just spend $4k and have 500hp from just a supercharger. Don't hear people cry about bmw's with v6 engines.

I was going to buy focus st, until I saw my payments and though that. Il get mustang that has more power and have fun with rwd.
Since you have the performance package, the only upgrade I can think of is a shifter bracket. That stock shifter gets kinda notchy after a while.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.

Bookmarks & Social Networks